Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas

Started by modage, July 07, 2003, 11:04:14 PM

modage

ouch.  lets see how quickly this topic will sink like a stone straight to the bottom of NOW SHOWING.  fucking 2d animated movies cannot get their shit together.  fucking 4th of july opening, the biggest moviegoing weekend of the year, and it opens in like 6th place.  not that i cant see why.  they didnt even give this movie a chance. i remember hearing about it months and months ago as it being something coming out eventually, and all of a sudden it just came out!  i dont remember being bombarded with trailers for months and ads on tv and tie-ins.  it just kind of snuck out into release, a nd i guess they didnt have much hope for it.  well, anyways.  

i saw this movie today, being dreamworks 4th 2d animated feature after PRINCE OF EGYPT, THE ROAD TO EL DORADO, SPIRIT: STALLION OF CIMMARON,  i dont believe any of which were fabulous successes and the later of which was a pretty big bomb.  (the 3d features however ANTZ and SHREK were huge successes btw.)  

anyways, basically this movie had great sourcee material, great talent involved,  some great ideas, but in the end just couldnt scrounge up a good movie from that.  not that it was terrible, but it was pretty standard, and a little boring.  the characters didnt seeem as lively as miguel and tulio from road to el dorado, though thankfully we were spared the elton john songs in this one.  also, the 3d backgrounds and the 2d characters didnt quite mesh as well as in spirit, which looked really good i thought.  (but was not as awkward as Titan AE to give an example).   i like how dreamworks has a discernable style that they draw their characters in though,. and it remains pretty consistent throughout all their movies.  its too bad they cant pull it together in the story dept.

umm, yeah.  it was pretty good, but couldve been a lot better. it almost seems like they were really jazzed up about it, but then during production,  just kind of gave up and got their budget sliced in half or something.  probably to put towards SHREK 2 or SHARKSLAYER or ANYTHING 3d.  people suck.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sal

It wasn't bad.  I took my lil' sis to see it, and I thought that, minus the goddess, it could have been a fucking stellar adventure movie.  Realizing what a detriment her character was early on in the story, ignoring her I found the film to be quite engaging.  The very end was also a letdown -- trying to push things to the last minute like that always feels contrived no matter which way you slice it.  I thought the voice acting was well done though, along with the sound design and direction.  This totally seemed like a cartoon throwaway though, which is sad.

TheVoiceOfNick

I hear the DVD will have 85 minutes of never-before-seen footage... the entire movie!

Nick

Pubrick

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI hear the DVD will have 85 minutes of never-before-seen footage... the entire movie!

Nick
the onion did that joke about Master of Disguise.
under the paving stones.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: P
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI hear the DVD will have 85 minutes of never-before-seen footage... the entire movie!

Nick
the onion did that joke about Master of Disguise.

Really? I heard it somewhere about something else... don't remember what... I don't think it was Master of Disguise... everyone quotes everyone anyways... life is one big mish-mosh! :).

Nick

Pubrick

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickReally? I heard it somewhere about something else... don't remember what... I don't think it was Master of Disguise... everyone quotes everyone anyways... life is one big mish-mosh! :).

Nick
tru. just checkin if u knew.

half my jokes are recycled from forgotten rowan atkinson one-man shows.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: SalIt wasn't bad.  I took my lil' sis to see it, and I thought that, minus the goddess, it could have been a fucking stellar adventure movie.  This totally seemed like a cartoon throwaway though, which is sad.

i agree totally.  wasnt bad, but seemed like a shame because it could have been great. :(
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

wow, this is terrible...

Some interesting deveopments in the toon community in the past week or so according to Animated Movies. Most notably, Dreamworks head of animation Ann Daly admitted that the studio was "extremely disappointed" with the performance of "Sinbad" at the U.S. box office, and confirmed that it would be the studio's last traditionally drawn film - "I think the idea of a traditional story being told using traditional animation is likely a thing of the past" says Jeffrey Kaztenberg.

wow, katzenberg, how close-minded of you.

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02wow, this is terrible...

Some interesting deveopments in the toon community in the past week or so according to Animated Movies. Most notably, Dreamworks head of animation Ann Daly admitted that the studio was "extremely disappointed" with the performance of "Sinbad" at the U.S. box office, and confirmed that it would be the studio's last traditionally drawn film - "I think the idea of a traditional story being told using traditional animation is likely a thing of the past" says Jeffrey Kaztenberg.

wow, katzenberg, how close-minded of you.

I haven't liked the look of the 2D animation in Dreamworks' pictures, from what I've seen in trailers and ads.  Something about it rubs me the wrong way.  It doesn't help that I haven't been curious enough about the stories to see the films.

modage

yeah, i dunno.  it doesnt bother me as much about no more dreamworks 2D animation, so much as the domino effect that might happen, if other studios follow suit.  this wave of fear about the demise of 2D animated films has been sweeping the industry for a few years now, and this is one of the first clear examples of this.  20th Century Fox (Anastasia, Titan AE, All Dogs Go To Heaven) already shut down their 2D animation division after Titan AE flopped a few summers ago.  now, Disney seems to be the only studio (outside of the Nick films Rugrats, Thornberries, etc.) still plugging ahead with 2D animated films despite many of them tanking.  3D seems to be what people are interested in, so thats what they are going to see.

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02yeah, i dunno.  it doesnt bother me as much about no more dreamworks 2D animation, so much as the domino effect that might happen, if other studios follow suit.  this wave of fear about the demise of 2D animated films has been sweeping the industry for a few years now, and this is one of the first clear examples of this.  20th Century Fox (Anastasia, Titan AE, All Dogs Go To Heaven) already shut down their 2D animation division after Titan AE flopped a few summers ago.  now, Disney seems to be the only studio (outside of the Nick films Rugrats, Thornberries, etc.) still plugging ahead with 2D animated films despite many of them tanking.  3D seems to be what people are interested in, so thats what they are going to see.

I don't know if its 2D that's keeping people away so much as the fact that the flops are not comedies.  American audiences seem to only want to see comedy animated films in droves, and not so much pure action adventures or more dramatic animation.  Some of Disney's recent 2D stuff like Piglet's Big Adventure and Jungle Book 2 were probably originally to be direct-to-video.

picolas

Quote from: Phalf my jokes are recycled from forgotten rowan atkinson one-man shows.
hah..not to blow your cover but i can totally see you as the headmaster..

almost fits too well..

ps: forgive the lateness of my reply.

Ghostboy

I think they just need to be good movies, and the public needs to know these movies are out there. Lilo & Stitch did great business, because it was an enjoyable film. The Pixar movies do great business because they're great films. Luckily, both received the full support of Disney. Spirited Away and The Iron Giant, both incredible 2D films, tanked because they had no support from their distributors...