Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

©brad

polkablues

It's going to take a while for the consensus to build on this movie.  Hopefully once enough people get it into their heads that it's NOT ACTUALLY A KIDS MOVIE, they can start appreciating it for what it is (masterpiece).
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

seriously.. i've never had so many instances of reading negative reviews and thinking 'but THAT'S why this movie is so great!!'

really disappointed by all the disappointment.

samsong

Quote from: polkablues on October 21, 2009, 05:50:25 PM
...it's NOT ACTUALLY A KIDS MOVIE, they can start appreciating it for what it is (masterpiece).

it's one thing to misconstrue the film as a kids movie, which i agree it isn't, but calling it a masterpiece is just as invalid.

picolas

"masterpiece" isn't a genre though.

Champion Souza

Based on all the press beforehand this was just like I expected it to be as far as tone and pacing.  I was not disappointed at all.  I loved it.  The music was wonderful.  My favorite film so far this year.

john

Quote from: samsong on October 21, 2009, 08:12:28 PM
...it's NOT ACTUALLY A KIDS MOVIE, they can start appreciating it for what it is (masterpiece).

it's one thing to misconstrue the film as a kids movie, which i agree it isn't, but calling it a masterpiece is just as invalid.

Nah, it's a masterpiece, albeit an unwieldy, sloppy one (the best kind)...

it's also a kids movie.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Reinhold

Quote from: samsong on October 21, 2009, 08:12:28 PM

i don't know that i agree with you on that. it's touching, intriguing, and max's logic is masterfully employed to structure the film. the special effects are also spectacular to say the least.

the music is my one minor gripe... i don't think that's enough to invalidate it as a masterpiece. 
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

I think "masterpiece" is now a dead description word. It's no longer thought of as the word to identify someone's best or greatest work. Now it's just another vague term like "great" that has too many open ended meanings. The easiness in which I see it lofted about is a little ridiculous, especially considering in the last 3 months, everyone i've seen mention something as being a "masterpiece" actually never intended to say they were talking about anyone's best work. Instead it just means something else. What exactly? I never know.

William Faulkner waited until 8 years before he died to call any work of his to be his masterpiece. It was for A Fable in 1954 and the book got mixed critical reaction, but the book did take ten years for him to write. It wasn't a simple gesture to procure good publicity and another Pulitzler (which it did get), but the book was a lifelong obsession because it transformed him into the writer he always wanted to be. Whether you like the novel or not, there is a justifiable reason to why he said what he said.

Now masterpiece seems to be a throw away word. It belongs with other words that are over embellished at parties where people praise everything at any length in a heartbeat.

john

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on October 21, 2009, 09:58:34 PM
I think "masterpiece" is now a dead description word. It's no longer thought of as the word to identify someone's best or greatest work. Now it's just another vague term like "great" that has too many open ended meanings. The easiness in which I see it lofted about is a little ridiculous, especially considering in the last 3 months, everyone i've seen mention something as being a "masterpiece" actually never intended to say they were talking about anyone's best work. Instead it just means something else. What exactly? I never know.

That's how I mean it. I think this film is a perfect distillation of Jonze's work. It might be a little premature to say, considering he's only made two films previous to this. But taken as part of everything he has directed, I think it's the most concise representation of what he intends to accomplish as an artist.

Can he make a superior film that would, in turn, be his "masterpiece"? Sure, but until then... this is it.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

polkablues

I didn't mean to spark a semiotics debate... I do agree with GT; people in general (and myself in particular) give words such as "masterpiece" or "genius" a much more casual connotation than they had in the past.  I don't think that's a good or a bad thing, just part of the evolution of language.  And that doesn't mean it's a dead descriptive word, simply that it lacks the import it once had.  When I call WtWTA a masterpiece, I mean it in a fairly broad sense.  It's a masterpiece that exists alongside a large army of fellows in my personal opinion.

Quote from: john on October 21, 2009, 09:32:00 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: polkablues on October 21, 2009, 10:12:24 PM
Quote from: john on October 21, 2009, 09:32:00 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

As do I. I totally fell in love with this movie.

samsong

i've definitely gushed over many a film.  this just isn't one of them.

polka, what other masterpieces would you consider this to be among in the large army you mentioned?

B.C. Long

Best film of the year. Maybe from the past 5 years. I'd just like to know how in the hell Jonze was able to convince people to fund this. It's so abstract and non-commercial, it feels like it wasn't made by an american.

©brad

Quote from: samsong on October 22, 2009, 05:29:02 AMpolka, what other masterpieces would you consider this to be among in the large army you mentioned?

Why exactly is that relevant?