What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

gob

STOP! PLEASE! Stop this foolish japery it hurts me to hear however jestful it may be.

Anyhoo, overmeunderyou as you seem to be an owner of the Eric Rohmer criterion set wouldst thou recommend to a Rohmer newcomer like myself to try and see some of his work first or are you confident that it would win me over and justify the purchase blind. It's a lot of money for a blind buy but this guy's seen by many as somewhat of a legend...

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: gob on September 28, 2006, 04:47:54 PM
STOP! PLEASE! Stop this foolish japery it hurts me to hear however jestful it may be.

Anyhoo, overmeunderyou as you seem to be an owner of the Eric Rohmer criterion set wouldst thou recommend to a Rohmer newcomer like myself to try and see some of his work first or are you confident that it would win me over and justify the purchase blind. It's a lot of money for a blind buy but this guy's seen by many as somewhat of a legend...

Well of course, it would be best if you are familiar with his work and it's something you enjoy before you invest in the dvd set. I would recommend you watch a black & white and a color film from the set, just to give you an idea.

Now playing:

squints

Mind Game, its from the same animation studio that did Cat Soup and parts of the animatrix. It combines some crazy animation similar to "kids story" from the animatrix with some awesome waking life/scanner darkly-like rotoscoping. Such an awesome experience, i would've killed to see this in the theater
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The original was great, but this remake was pretty creepy.  Imagining a voice for him was weird, but seeing him speak had a different level of terror.

Did you ever review Nosferatu or plan to?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

i believe i gave a blurb in the Horror thread for the remake when i saw it and i wouldnt be surprised if the original showed up in Best Horror this month.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

OrHowILearnedTo

but fuck thats horrible cover art, i much prefer the one where hes looking in the mirror

McfLy

Pwaybloe

How did you fit a J.Crew catalog in your DVD player?

McfLy

hedwig

Quote from: McfLy on October 12, 2006, 12:32:04 AM
[art school conf] & [thank you for smoking]
one at a time

for example,

[w/ commentary]

McfLy

gob