Somewhere (sofia coppola)

Started by Kellen, June 14, 2010, 07:02:24 PM

Kellen

SOMEWHERE TRAILER
via: slashfilm

Focus Features has released the first movie trailer for Sofia Coppola’s Somewhere starring Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning. Watch the trailer now embedded after the jump. It very much feels like a thematic/tonal sequel to Lost in Translation, another Coppola film about famous father figure connecting with a daughter figure (more metaphoric in the other film) in a hotel.
This looks like it could be a return to form for Coppola. Sofia’s first two films Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation were some of my favorite movies of their respective years of release. Please leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Sofia Coppola’s (Lost in Translation) new film Somewhere tells the story of Johnny Marco (Stephen Dorff), “a bad-boy A-List actor stumbling through a life of excess while living at Hollywood’s legendary Chateau Marmont Hotel.  His days are a haze of drinks, girls, fast cars and fawning fans.  Cocooned in this celebrity-induced artificial world, Johnny has lost all sense of his true self.  Until, that is, his 11-year-old daughter Cleo (Elle Fanning) unexpectedly shows up and unwittingly begins to anchor him.  Johnny’s fragile connection to real life slowly revives in her presence. So when the time comes fro Cleo to leave, his sense of loss is palpable, but the gift of hope she has also brought him leads to a beautiful, poetic denouement imbued with all of Coppola’s remarkable powers to conjure mood and atmosphere.”
Watch the trailer in High Defintion on Apple. Somewhere will hit theaters on December 22nd 2010.

OrHowILearnedTo

was that phoenix covering the strokes, or just a different version of You Only Live Once?

Kellen

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on June 14, 2010, 07:25:48 PM
was that phoenix covering the strokes, or just a different version of You Only Live Once?

this was a quote from theplaylist regarding the music:

"Coppola's impeccable ear for a good soundtrack (the film may not be much cop, but the "Marie Antoinette" two-disc soundtrack is a post-punk/new wave classic) is in evidence in the trailer; we hear a glimpse of Phoenix's "Love Like A Sunset Pt. 1" (Coppola's beau Thomas Mars is the frontman of the band, who are providing music for the film, and that track will feature heavily, according to guitarist Christian Mazzalai). But there's also a rather thrilling trailer pick, in the shape of Strokes rarity "I'll Try Anything Once," Julian Casablancas' demo version of third album highlight "You Only Live Once" -- we'd be surprised if this didn't turn up in the film somewhere."

Robyn

Well, it lacks Tokyo and Scarlett Johanssons ass.

It will probably we awesome tho. 

modage

This looks great.  2011 Best Trailer Xixax Awards.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

the idea seems pretty similar to lit... but okay.

modage

Quote from: picolas on June 14, 2010, 08:13:57 PM

It's a reboot of the franchise.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Damn you, Coppola, if you make me like Stephen Dorff.
My house, my rules, my coffee

cinemanarchist

Quote from: polkablues on June 14, 2010, 08:26:56 PM
Damn you, Coppola, if you make me like Stephen Dorff.

If it makes you feel any better, his smile looks just like Ewen McGregors...and his face kind of looks like Peter Sarsgaards.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

Looks great. Also, no 3D, which is awesome.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

Looks really good and it makes me have a small crush on Sofia.

Pas

That story is just too old for me. But the HD trailer looked awesome. HD is almost underrated. I know it's not. But it kinda is. The word HD is overrated. But the HD effect is underrated.

Quote from: Stefen on June 15, 2010, 02:03:16 AM
Looks great. Also, no 3D, which is awesome.

Haha.

Quote from: modage on June 14, 2010, 08:17:09 PM
Quote from: picolas on June 14, 2010, 08:13:57 PM

It's a reboot of the franchise.

Hahaha.

Pubrick

why has no one mentioned that this is the worst title of the century?

or that Lost in Translation doesn't hold up AT ALL. let alone there being any hope that this bizarre thematic deja vu with a bunch of nobodies and has beens will be any more interesting.

sofcop is still desperate to find her own voice. it felt like she almost had something going in Virgin Suicides but all it has amounted to since then is a lot of wishy washy lofting around.. she's a princess with a very expensive diary.

oh well, at least her soundtracks are great.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: P on June 15, 2010, 09:59:30 AM
why has no one mentioned that this is the worst title of the century?

Definitely. It took something like 8 new posts on this thread, which is more posts than there is in a day on this board, before I finally clicked on it. I had no interest whatsoever in anything called "Somewhere" but absolute boredom finally made me give in.

I then remembered I saw a post on one of the blog I visit about Coppola's new movie. I hadn't read but now I went. The talkbackers/commentaters were all "This looks beautiful [insert a pun/play on words about almost as beautiful as Sofia Coppola]"

And I come here and Alexandro now has a crush on her.

We're talking about this person here:

Alexandro

hey!!, i'm into academy award winning female screenwriters. AND i have a boot fetish. you're just feeding the monster there, pas.

I watched lost in translation a few months back and it holds up just fine, probably feels better without the oscar baggage. also, marie antoinette is way better than everyone claims.