Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

jenkins

from this Variety article about DDL retirement

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson, who guided Day-Lewis to his most perversely beloved performance, as the sociopathic oil baron who stole John Huston's voice in "There Will Be Blood," has now bequeathed him his official final role. In Anderson's upcoming Christmas release, "Phantom Thread," Day-Lewis stars as the visionary British fashion designer Charles James, who was one of the most influential couturiers of the 20th century — and who, interestingly enough, retired himself in 1958, at the age of 52, 20 years before his death. Given Day-Lewis' legendary immersion in the roles he plays (during the shooting of "Lincoln," he never broke character, insisting that everyone on set, including director Steven Spielberg, address him as "Mr. President"), one has to wonder whether he might have developed an obsessive identification with a designer/artist like James, to the point of wanting to echo the way he exited the fashion world at the height of his powers.

Just Withnail

It's happening again! One day his new film is gonna end up being named "Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project".

Kal

So is that not the title, or working title, or are we just choosing to ignore it here?

polkablues

It's definitely the working title at least, but I won't be comfortable committing to it until we see a poster.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

NYTimes (the paper of record) aso referred to it as Phantom Thread without clarification so that's another vote.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Yes

Fuzzy Dunlop

Apparently Paul met with Sean Parker and got some advice on the title. That man sure hates the word "The"!

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Fuzzy Dunlop

md

What's interesting is that DDL was also a co-producer on this project along with Annapurna and PTA, and from what I heard had a heavy hand in the story.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Yes

Exciting! Daniel Day is going all out in his "final" role

B

Quote from: md on June 28, 2017, 08:09:47 AM
What's interesting is that DDL was also a co-producer on this project along with Annapurna and PTA, and from what I heard had a heavy hand in the story.

Did you hear any details on the story (or other details on DDL's involvement in the story)?

Also I see recent rumors that DDL is becoming a dressmaker after leaving acting? I don't know how much faith to place in this but here's one source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/daniel-day-lewis-reportedly-retiring-acting-become-dressmaker/

According to one anonymous source he was planning to retire from acting for years and just looking for the right project to leave with a "bang". So if true, looks like he really is looking to go all out!

Lottery

That's cool as (and exclusive because I can't find that info elsewhere). Reminds me of how PSH was there on the early days of The Master screenplay and he was the one who told PTA that the movie was more Quell's story and less Dodd's.