Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

wilberfan

I have so much I want to say about this movie.

Drenk

Ascension.

csage97

Quote from: Lempwick on July 21, 2019, 07:45:09 PM
Quote from: csage97 on July 21, 2019, 06:00:51 PM
Starts playing a day early (the 25th) at my local cinema! Can't wait.

After watching that clip, I'm still trying to decide if I like Leo DiCaprio or not. I thought he was great for Django Unchained and Titanic, but I watched Inception recently and wasn't too hot on it -- which could just be the Christopher Nolan writing and directing, because I think his dialogue is usually bad. The only movies I really liked from him were Dunkirk and Interstellar. But even with Dunkirk, Hoyt van Hoytema was the star of the show in my eyes.

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street, but between Inception and this clip, I can't help but FEEL DiCaprio acting. As in I'm always drawn to the fact that he's acting rather than suspending my belief. We'll see. I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

Watch more.  Revolutionary Road, Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, The Basketball Diaries, etc.  Trying to understand the appeal of DiCaprio based on one or two movies is like watching The Ballad of Jack and Rose and Nine and The Boxer and asking why some people love Daniel Day-Lewis.  Or only seeing Inventing the Abbots, Inherent Vice, and Quills, and being unsure about Joaquin's talent.

Very good point! You're right.

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on July 22, 2019, 03:31:32 AM

You saw it at the ArcLight? Want to give us any general opinions? Maybe mark them behind spoilers in case anyone wants to go in completely fresh?

I'm seeing it Wednesday. So excited.

Alethia

Speaketh sir! I have to wait until Thursday.  :doh:

wilberfan

Can't do it yet.  I actually posted--and then took down--something last night.  And it was just three of those smiley things.  If someone wants some input off-board, I'll do that...

Alethia

But to be clear: you *did* like/love it?  :)

jenkins

wilberfan

No comment, but he's not wrong.

jenkins

and it's not a moral aspersion to say you're statistically much more likely to not like a movie

and well it's okay with me that a voice against the movie sings immediately. happens

wilberfan

That's absolutely accurate.  Statistically, the percentage of contemporary films I actually enjoy is abysmally low.  Not happy about it, but it is what it is.  So the likelihood that most of you will love this film is almost a certainty. 

You're welcome.

Drenk

But what did you think of The Hateful Eight? I ask because I think it's probably his best movie.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Say all the thingz!! Ravenous for your opinion of it ~

wilberfan

Quote from: Drenk on July 22, 2019, 01:23:50 PM
But what did you think of The Hateful Eight? I ask because I think it's probably his best movie.

Well, then your chances of loving Hollywood are good.

I hated Hateful, too.   Thought it a terrible Tarantino parody.   Embarassing.   Again, it had some moments--but moments don't make for a good film.

Alethia

Yay, I'm even more excited now! Jk Lol I appreciate your honesty sir, you're certainly entitled to your feelings, even up against a potential nerd firing squad.