What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

Ravi

The Leopard, with commentary.

godardian

Quote from: Ravi on May 01, 2006, 12:27:52 PM
The Leopard, with commentary.

I find Peter Cowie's commentaries good to fine, but his most recent book was mostly a lot of superficial hyperbole, which made me think, "Wow, I'm not surprised his day job is at Variety." But I'm pretty sure that DVD commentaries are very rarely, if ever, extemporaneous, especially when they're by someone who wasn't involved in the film's production; so where's the very noticeable difference in approach and quality coming from? I wonder if he tailors his book writing to the Variety audience and his commentary writing to the Criterion audience....
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

hedwig

random person: "Hello, godardian!"
godardian: "It's interesting you should say that. You know, the first written record of the word from which hello is derived, namely 'HOLLO,' can be found in the 1542 book entitled, 'A compendious regyment or a dyetary of helth,' scribed with laudable eloquence by Sir Andrew Boorde. No disrespect to Sir Boorde, but I much prefer the Thai pronunciation, haloo, a view (in)famously championed by Morrissey. This apparently transgressive approach to helloism seems to frequently provoke quite a furor among traditional and narrow-minded helloists."

>>>>now in my dvd player:

godardian

Quote from: Hedwig on May 01, 2006, 04:56:16 PM
random person: "Hello, godardian!"
godardian: "It's interesting you should say that. You know, the first written record of the word from which hello is derived, namely 'HOLLO,' can be found in the 1542 book entitled, 'A compendious regyment or a dyetary of helth,' scribed with laudable eloquence by Sir Andrew Boorde. No disrespect to Sir Boorde, but I much prefer the Thai pronunciation, haloo, a view (in)famously championed by Morrissey. This apparently transgressive approach to helloism seems to frequently provoke quite a furor among traditional and narrow-minded helloists."

:lol: (or should it be :yabbse-embarassed:?) Blame my current Advanced English Grammar class. There's no vocabulary in the class per se, but diagramming sentences somehow makes me want to (try to) write really eloquent ones.

Anyway, my shameless Criterion whoredom runs rampant in my DVD player at the moment:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

last days of gerry the elephant

switched to:

McfLy

penfold0101

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

McfLy

penfold0101

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

McfLy

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

McfLy

:yabbse-thumbup: Fantastic movie. 

Oh yes it was. It's been added to the wishlist.