Phantom Thread - Interviews

Started by velociraptor, November 27, 2017, 11:50:34 AM

Fuzzy Dunlop

I think he gave more interviews for magnolia than any of his others, but that was back when he was in manic-cocaine-wunderkind mode.

Loving the amount of interviews he's been doing for this press tour, he knows what he's gotta do to sell the film and seems cool with it. And its been really nice to see him in such a good place.

Tdog

Crazy part from the Dylan Tichenor interview about deleted stuff:

"TICHENOR: This is the fireside chat. This scene was originally many times this length. A lot more dialogue. Sections about his children and the baby-mamas, etc. About Alma's desire to be a wife... a lot... minutes. But, ultimately, and from the beginning really, it was rhythmically obviously too long, but also way too many things in it. In paring down the film we took out most of this scene, so it plays as part of the falling-in-love date and not as its own chapter"

Im glad that stuff isnt in the movie. It kind of complicates things a bit too much although it's not unrealistic for the times.

csage97

Quote from: Tdog on February 17, 2018, 12:36:38 PM
Crazy part from the Dylan Tichenor interview about deleted stuff:

"TICHENOR: This is the fireside chat. This scene was originally many times this length. A lot more dialogue. Sections about his children and the baby-mamas, etc. About Alma's desire to be a wife... a lot... minutes. But, ultimately, and from the beginning really, it was rhythmically obviously too long, but also way too many things in it. In paring down the film we took out most of this scene, so it plays as part of the falling-in-love date and not as its own chapter"

Im glad that stuff isnt in the movie. It kind of complicates things a bit too much although it's not unrealistic for the times.

I'm ultimately glad for those decisions ... but it would be really interesting to have all that stuff in there in some sort of extended cut/extended story.

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on February 16, 2018, 11:36:03 PM
I think he gave more interviews for magnolia than any of his others, but that was back when he was in manic-cocaine-wunderkind mode.

Loving the amount of interviews he's been doing for this press tour, he knows what he's gotta do to sell the film and seems cool with it. And its been really nice to see him in such a good place.

I've always wondered if the manic cocaine thing is just hyperbole to describe his demeanor and mood in those days, or if he was actually a coke-head.

greenberryhill

Quote from: Drenk on February 16, 2018, 11:53:56 AM
There is some kind of an interview here. It's a Twitter link, I don't know if there is another way to see it.

https://twitter.com/VanityFairFR/status/964509257352798209

It´s on Youtube now ;)

wilberfan

Nice interview in the LA Times today that touches on his process, his personal life, 'hidden' humor in Blood and Thread...and generally seems to reinforce the idea of his ongoing mellowness these days.

(And a hint at a new screenplay collaboration.)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-mn-paul-thomas-anderson-phantom-thread-oscars-20180220-htmlstory.html

Lewton

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like this very nice and notable part of Phantom Thread's promotional tour is getting a lot of coverage. DDL was in Athens recently and attended a press conference for the Greek premiere of the film. This was about more than straightforward promotional duties, though. Here's the story behind this visit, which can be traced back to My Left Foot:

Quote from: Daniel Day-Lewis is in Athens for the premiere of his latest film – which he has also stated will be his cinematic swan-song. But this is not the first time he is in town, nor the first Greek premiere he is attending. In fact, he has been attending the Greek premieres of all his movies since 1989. That was the year he made the film My Left Foot (for which he picked up his first Oscar) where he played Christy Brown, an Irishman born with cerebral palsy, who could control only his left foot.

To prepare for the role he spent three months in a school for disabled children in Dublin, which immersed him in their world. It was then that he realized that Daphne Economou, the mother of George Economou, his good friend from college (the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School), was president of Cerebral Palsy Greece, an organisation that had been caring for people with cerebral palsy and raising awareness since 1972. He immediately decided to help by donating the proceeds from the film's Greek premiere to the organisation.

Cynics might dismiss that move as a savvy exercise in public relations. But if it was, it has been remarkably long-lasting: since then – effectively over almost his entire career – he has seen to it that the revenue from every Greek premiere of his films has gone to supporting the work of Cerebral Palsy Greece.

This is taken from this GREECE IS article, which is worth clicking on for these and other reasons. It also includes DDL commenting on the film, his retirement, etc.

wilberfan

That was a wonderful article. It adds to my respect for the man--which was primarily just based on his prodigious talent.  This comment really stood out for me:

QuoteI don't fully understand [my decision] but it came to me with a sense of conviction and so I choose to move forward in acceptance of that, rather than struggling with it.

Something Spanish

wilberfan

A bit of promotional fluff, but I don't believe we've heard from "Nana" and "Biddy" before.

https://twitter.com/Phantom_Thread/status/966071977667473408/video/1

greenberryhill

Jeremy Blackman

"He probably should have some kind of co-writing, you know, credit... but that's okay..."

Lewton

Yeah, that's interesting.

So, I don't want to read too much into too little here, but the comment and the body language might lend credence to the idea that Day-Lewis asked to not be credited for writing. This was recently discussed in another thread because someone kind of claimed this was the case in a review.

PTA says, "but he..." and then decides not to get into it. Then there's that "but that's okay" bit, which suggests that he made a concession to DDL's wishes, even though he would have preferred to see him receive the credit? I don't know.

FilmCell

It's probably WGA bullshit. They are the most obnoxious union in the world.

wilberfan

Paul Thomas Anderson with Alan Parker in a Directors UK Q & A

(Audio Only)

[edit] My clear favorite of all of the interviews I've listened to since November.  Lot's of interesting questions on writing, casting, blocking, photography, editing, mixing, etc...  A nice way to finish up this very long promotional season.

Tdog

Yeah it's a really great interview!