Director's Ventings

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, May 15, 2004, 11:13:10 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

OK, I'm sorry, I didn't know exactly where to put this, or if it even existed, but recently I attempted to film a short film I have to do for a class.  We get about halfway through the filming, and my star isn't doing too bad.  For a while he's wanted to get a mohawk, but he had to wait though because he was in my short film and his own group's project.

Well, he decides that it doesn't matter if he gets a mohawk or not and, as a totally irresopnsible prick, goes ahead and does it.

I've got about 10 minutes of useless film now, the film is due at the end of this week, I have to refilm casting myself in his role, and still having to find someone to replace him, the leading female doesn't want to film outside of school because she's too lethargic (which is something she didn't specify when I asked her to be in my movie) and of course, I'll still have to edit all that.

A 15 minute movie done in a week.

Can it be done?

Well, yes.

Will I proud of it?

Probably not.

The thing that hampers my efforts: all the editing equipment will have to be at school, so I'lll have to come in when it's inconvienent, my entire week will be devoted to this film, rather than being able to relax and think about other subjects a little more and well, suffice it to say, I'm a little piseed.  </end rant>
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ElPandaRoyal

Well, I think that even if the short doesn't turn out great, it's good in a weird way, that you're having some problems, 'cause you'll start learning how to deal with them and that's also very important for a director. I'm not saying your actor did a good thing, of course, but it's good for yourself to start dealing with these things right now, I think  :)
Si

cowboykurtis

thats what you get when you cast students.
...your excuses are your own...

picolas

if you've shot it more or less chronologically, just do a scene where he comes out of a barber shop. you can pick up from there.

Tictacbk

or just never acknowledge the mohawk at all and keep filming.  Call it "artistic freedom." Or whatever other BS you can come up with.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: picolasif you've shot it more or less chronologically, just do a scene where he comes out of a barber shop. you can pick up from there.

I thought about that, but this guys works at a job where they'd get outraged at something like that.

I also thought at one point he'd shave his head, but it was a little too Taxi Driver for me.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Just Withnail

I've got one kind of like that, though it's not necessarily the actor's fault. See, I got this friend of mine, real close one, good actor too, had no problems what so ever, and I shot half a movie with him. Not sure of how much, but a lot of footage, a lot. Then I get the message; he's moving. I was devastated, and didn't even consider the film until about a week later. Thank God he retains his looks, so we can film smaller stuff when he's home the occational weekend.

Anyway, are you planning to reshoot the whole thing?

ono

Have the kid bumped off.  No director in the world would convict you.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopitaHave the kid bumped off.  No director in the world would convict you.

That falls under Cinematic Immunity.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MrBurgerKing

I love the movie from Truffaut, Day For Night, mainly his portrayal of the director, it reminds me of this thread. Truffaut casually walks around, then he hears that a major scene of the film has been ruined... the look on his face doesn't change at all: no contempt or frustration, no change of tone into anger, he just works with it. I think that goes along with this, that the problems are a part of the process, and how he himself loves that entire process, including all the disasters and melodrama.

SoNowThen

Film the guy only in ECU for the rest of the movie. Any shots not on him, go to POV.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.