Microscopic Festivals

Started by Alexandro, May 23, 2011, 10:21:09 AM

Alexandro

bout six months ago I finally finished editing my first feature. It's an 80 min. comedy in spanish, done with a budget of about 3000 dlls. which shows in the production values, unknown actors and a very local spirit. By that I mean it's a film deeply entrenched in the ways and costumes of my city, which is in no way the romantic idea some people around the world have of latin america. actually, monterrey is sometimes called "the uglies city in the US", which says a lot i think.

The main thing is that it's an edgy movie. Most people that have seen it tell me it's a cult film. Something to watch at midnight with friends and beer. And I love that. But it fucks up with my chances of getting into festivals, which I need for the film to have some life. I tried the South by Southwest because it was the only festival I found that has that kind of spirit, but I was turned down.

the thing is the film is too small for a lot of the festivals. And I just want to get it out there for some people to see it. Particularly in the US. So maybe you guys know for a fact of small festivals that are good venues, that accept films like this one or that I should at least give it a try. Particularly because I'm poor and I frankly can't afford to be sending the film all over the place and be rejected.

You guys know of something like this where you live or anywhere else? I need some true indie fest.
Thanks guys.

polkablues

First off, congratulations are in order. Completing a feature film, especially on a micro-budget, is a huge task, and the fact that you pulled it off is impressive. Even more so that you ended up happy with it.

A lot of US cities have film festivals specifically for Spanish-language films; I know Seattle has one. Google "Latino film festival", and you'll find a bunch. Since festivals like that typically get far fewer submissions than the big-name fests, you'll have a better shot at getting your movie in front of an audience.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Try www.withoutabox.com

They have listings of thousands of different film festivals over the world and break them down by catagory. They give you all info on each fest and how to qualify. And even if you just apply to certain fests, you can create an imdb page.

Good luck!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

Thanks,
yes I have a without a box account, but as I receive emails from them about so many festivals it gets harder and harder to discern. I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with a particular festival to recommend. I will check the seattle one for sure!