I Love You, Daddy

Started by wilder, October 18, 2017, 12:41:06 PM

polkablues

Paul F. Tompkins on Twitter pretty well sums up my thoughts on this statement.

Quote"I finally see how deeply my actions have affected other people emotionally since they are now affecting me financially."
QuoteOn "Happy Days," a beloved sitcom from my childhood, a running gag was that the cool character Fonzie was unable to say "I'm sorry." If only he'd figured out "There's nothing I forgive myself for!"
Quote"Hey, you are standing on my foot."
"Oh, I do not forgive myself for that."
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Yeah that's spot-on.

if only our president would face the same scrutiny. Left wing press has done a mostly stellar job in outing these dirtbags. Right wing media calls the 16 women who Trump assaulted liars and want to elect a child molester to the Alabama senate.

Every day is worse than the last.

Yes

How much longer until someone leaks the screener online  :ponder:

But either way, this pains me considering how big a fan I was and how brilliant his material was

It's a shame someone who brings you joy can cause others so much horror

But, this isn't about me or my feelings-- this is about the victims, and I hope they can finally find some peace and solace

The Ultimate Badass

So much horror? Come on. It' more pathetic than anything.

Drenk

Everyone is now talking again about Pamela Part 1 from Louie, but I think that—even if the revelations add something since, after all, between Louis and Louie only one letter is different—you could see what he was doing—and not doing—in the work itself. I don't buy that he was creating a feminist persona to protect himself or that it was a way for him to be a better predator undercover. But the hypocrisy and denial are in the episodes.

There is a long, long stand up part in Pamela where he talks about violence against women, just before Louie forces himself on Pamela, and it was meant—even before we knew what he did—to reveal the hypocrisy or how whatever you can say/whatever you can think/your acts weren't always connected to that. That, I think, was a conscious part. Of course, I thought at that time that it didn't come from a part of guilt. "What can I do?" is a question that—in a sexual context or not—is something we all ask ourselves—I've felt guilty for stupid things that weren't crimes, but it's hard sometimes to reconcile what you do with what you think...anyway...

BUT. Remember that between Part 1 and 2 and 3, just after the "incident" with Pamela, the show had the episode in his youth, and when it came back to Pamela the incident was totally forgotten, and that was weird at the time. The revelations don't change anything—of course, now we can say that it was denial from CK's part, an impossibility for him to deal with it in his life and in his fiction.

And I remember not liking these episodes because he was erasing the first part and I couldn't buy the Pamela/Louie couple—and it felt gross, and also a betrayal to Pamela's character.

Maybe that the denial of the show was conscious, a way for him to show his own denial, but I don't think so. A few months earlier, he said: "This is not real." And now: "These stories are true."
Ascension.

matt35mm

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on November 11, 2017, 10:46:34 PM

He and his manager actively silenced the women and anybody who brought this subject up. They were blacklisted from being hired by many companies or performing at many venues and festivals. I know of more stories than the ones mentioned in the NYT article. He actively ruined careers by discrediting these women.

Yes

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on November 11, 2017, 10:46:34 PM

Who are you to speak for the victims or presume a reaction

Drenk

Ascension.

wilder

Louis C.K. Buying Back 'I Love You, Daddy' Following Scandal
via Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: The Orchard has confirmed that they are wrapping up a deal to sell the global rights for I Love You, Daddy back to its filmmaker and star, Louis C.K.

The Orchard acquired worldwide on the black and white comedy out of the Toronto Film Festival for $5M. C.K. will reportedly pay back any money received from that MG as well as any marketing costs (~$500K-$1M) incurred by The Orchard. As a result, The Orchard will not incur any financial setback from the return deal. Such money spent includes a brief awards mailing numbering 12K DVD screeners to AMPAS, SAG, Golden Globes and Critics' voting members. C.K.'s attorneys at Sloane, Offer, Weber & Dern have been working on the deal with The Orchard. C.K.'s 3 Arts manager Dave Becky, who is named as a producer on I Love You, Daddy, hasn't been involved in the return deal as he dropped his client following the scandal.

No word as to when C.K. plans to release the film, and if so, if it will be on his website. The comedian previously streamed his 10-episode independent dramedy series Horace and Pete on his website last year, finding an immediate audience among his fans. Since being accused of sexual misconduct throughout his career last month, and losing his production deal at FX, as well as Orchard completely terminating the release of I Love You, Daddy among other things, C.K. said in a Nov. 10 statement that he "spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want.  I will now step back and take a long time to listen."

When the news hit last month about five women accusing C.K. of sexual misconduct in the New York Times, The Orchard immediately put the brakes on a New York premiere of I Love You, Daddy and pulled the pic from its Nov. 17 release. In addition, having oversee of the pic's foreign sales, Orchard put a stop on those deals promptly and made sure its partners weren't financially impacted. However, an awards mailing was already underway with voters receiving I Love You, Daddy screeners in the mail following C.K.'s scandal. A mini-black market for the film's screeners spurred on Ebay, and the Orchard has been working with the on-line retailer to squash those sales. It's easy to indicate which voter from which group is attempting to sell copies based on the DVD's cover.

Given C.K.'s scandal, there are elements in I Love You, Daddy that grossly hit too close to home: In the movie, a character pretends to masturbate at length in front of other people (which is what C.K. was accused of by other female comediennes), and other characters appear to dismiss rumors of sexual predation. I Love You, Daddy follows a TV writer (C.K.) whose teenage daughter (Chloe Grace Moretz) becomes the obsession of a much older filmmaker (John Malkovich).

Drenk

Concerning what Reelist posted:

I'm surprised we are not talking about episode 3 of Horace and Pete. I mean, I love this episode. It might be the best thing he's done. And I think it can exist independently of what he did. And it also changed.

A woman exposing herself. Masturbating in her room while she listens to her stepfather doing construction work.
Horace talking about how he couldn't stop having sex with her wife's sister dreading the inevitable day when people will "find out".
And it's mostly about how you can deal with the awful things you've done.

We've not all sexually harassed people and yet we can relate to that episode—at least, I do...And I don't think it matters or spoils it that C.K might have written it thinking about what he's done. Because it's also more. You can try to write your "self" or make a confession or even a veiled confession but it doesn't work out that easily. Thankfully. How boring and simple that would be otherwise.

Ascension.

Garam

Leaked the day after he bought the rights back, lol...

Alexandro

Quote from: Garam on December 12, 2017, 06:17:37 AM
Leaked the day after he bought the rights back, lol...

I saw it. It's really good. And interesting... and deals exactly with the topic of sexual boundaries in a toughtful, complex way. I haven't seen many of the oscar contenders yet, but it's smarter than Dunkirk, I can tell you that.

Jeremy Blackman

Reelist's reaction:

Reelist [12|Dec 05:28 PM]:   I'm gonna do a non spoilery live shout
Reelist [12|Dec 05:29 PM]:   I'm 20 minutes in and I haven't found anything funny. I wonder if this movie will make me even laugh once
Reelist [12|Dec 05:39 PM]:   It's getting better
Reelist [12|Dec 05:40 PM]:   Ok I snickered
Reelist [12|Dec 05:50 PM]:   Now it's starting to be kind of a good movie so i'll shut up
Reelist [12|Dec 07:27 PM]:   Oof no it's not good