The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

Kal

On any other universe this was a great hour of TV with very clever writing, interesting dialogue and great acting. But right now all I want is to see what the hell happened with Glenn so I wasn't as interested in this as I should have been. It also was one of the longest episodes of WD ever and I don't think it needed to be.

polkablues

Speculative spoiler alert (i.e., this is me guessing, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate):

Glenn survived the horde by whats-his-name falling on top of him, and then by crawling under the dumpster. He is, however, bitten in the process. He will, through great adversity, have the chance to return to Alexandria and say goodbye to Maggie before dying in the final episode of the season.

Quote from: Kal on November 05, 2015, 01:21:26 AM
It also was one of the longest episodes of WD ever and I don't think it needed to be.

Yeah, there's no good reason it couldn't have been edited down to normal length. It was a great episode as is, but it probably would have been even stronger for it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

You could be right. I don't know, though. The producers are already openly saying maybe Glenn is not dead. Would they actually pull a double reversal?

I think the show needs to get past using major character deaths as dramatic lynchpins. They don't even do it properly... certainly can't outplay GoT at this game. Noah's death was pretty great (truly shocking and horrifying), but even there the timing felt wrong.

The Morgan episode was good. The seams in the writing were showing a bit too clearly at times, though. It's disappointing when you realize the entire production is firing on all cylinders, but the writing isn't quite pulling its weight. Definitely got the sense multiple times that these actors deserve better writers. John Carroll Lynch was remarkable.

It didn't make any sense to me the way he died, though. Right? Why did he put his fleshy trunk in the way of that walker? Use your stick, or just kick the thing back for a second. It does often make sense in this show that they're overwhelmed by zombie swarms, but it strains credulity whenever someone is vanquished by a single walker, especially one whose presence is not a surprise.

Kal

Would be torture if they keep his situation a mystery beyond tomorrow night. It's very possible Maggie and the others go looking for him and find nothing and we don't have any updates until the mid-season finale.  :ponder:

Jeremy Blackman

That would be very ill-advised. Plotlines like that tend to drain goodwill, and personally, I eventually refuse to play the game and stop caring about the character. (Game of Thrones spoiler: Reminds me of Sansa last season.)

Kal

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY....

Well, they did stretch it another week at least...

The episode was good to tie things together into what may be coming next, but it was pretty slow in general. Diana officially lost her marbles so who knows where that will lead. Definitely convinced Glenn is alive in some fashion, especially after the announcement that Jeffrey Dean Morgan will play Negan.

Jeremy Blackman

This was one of the worst episodes in quite some time. I seriously wonder why I spent 41 minutes watching that.

The dialogue between Abraham and Sasha was absolute nonsense. Just a serious of dumb sentences and metaphors strung together, disguised as some kind of poetry, but actually composed of garbage. We've totally heard this exact kind of thing before, too. Who on the writing staff does this, and who is approving their scripts?

Also, why is Abraham pursuing Sasha when he has a long-time girlfriend back at camp, and why are we supposed to think he's charming for it?

polkablues

I think it was always pretty clear that Abraham and Rosita were together out of circumstances, not out of any specific affinity or true affection toward one another. But yeah, the writing in that episode was hot garbage.

spoilers for last season

polka has anyone made a meme of noahs death that says 'everybody ate chris' yet? if not, you're welcome.

polkablues

Apparently you're not the first explorer to wash up on that shore.

polkablues

SPOILERS

So I guess I was wrong about Glenn being bitten, which is disappointing, though I still contend he doesn't live to see the final end credits of the season.

All in all, a pretty rote episode, but I loved how the final minute underscored the deep fatalism at the core of this show; nothing good can happen without something WAY WORSE immediately following it. It's impressive, after decades of television existing primarily as feel-good entertainment, that two hugely popular shows, this and Game of Thrones, can get away with such a steadfast commitment to the message of Fuck your hope. It warms my black, icy heart.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Enid is a problematic character. Her scenes did serve to remind us what a good guy Glenn is — true virtue is having compassion for the most loathsome among us — but they accomplished little else. Also, are we really supposed to forget that she may have been affiliated with the wolves?

Most absurd is that Ron and Karl are fighting for her affection (to the death, apparently?). What's more attractive, her insufferable personality or her dumb scowl? Is it just that she's a female with a pulse? I think this a case where the character is not quite accomplishing what she's meant to.

Enid and Ron kind of deserve each other, though. They can go run away into the woods together, and after their first couple fight, one or both will be dead.

Kal

polkablues

I genuinely hope that they come back in the second half of the season with this kid getting swarmed by zombies because he doesn't know how to shut up for thirty seconds while the rest of the group, including his mom, just keeps on walking, giving the zombies a little shrug, like "I don't know that guy."

Also, "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" is the absolute creepiest song a person can play over and over. If it weren't for the zombie apocalypse, he definitely would have grown up to be a serial killer whose trademark is eating his victims' hair.