Best Cinematography

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 25, 2005, 08:25:39 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Cinematography: COLLATERAL (Dion Beebe & Paul Cameron)

THE NOMINEES

The Aviator
Collateral
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Hero
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Film Student

I actually agree with this one.  The time and effort put into the look of this film is astounding.  They actually invented new technology that allowed their digital cameras to basically be able to see in the dark.   It's a great looking movie.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

pete

Quote from: Film StudentThey actually invented new technology that allowed their digital cameras to basically be able to see in the dark.

they did?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

I'm a :yabbse-thumbup: on this winner as well.

Film Student

Quote from: pete
Quote from: Film StudentThey actually invented new technology that allowed their digital cameras to basically be able to see in the dark.

they did?

Yeah.  At a Q&A in L.A. over the summer, Mann went into great detail about what they did and how they did it.  Unfortunately most of the technical jargon was completely over my head so I can't really explain it, other than to say that they put an immense amount of time, money, and expertise into the cinematography alone.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

grand theft sparrow

This is the only one of the 5 I didn't see and I'm about to order it on pay-per-view (thank God they got smart and put widescreen movies up).  But I have to say that, from what I've seen, Collateral is the least engaging of them all based on the clips I've seen.  No disrespect to Mann at all, I'm sure it looks good but up against Yeoman for Life Aquatic or Christopher Doyle, who provided Hero with one of its few (and definitely the most) saving graces.

If I change my mind in 2 hours, I'll post an apology.

Alexandro

when i saw collateral for the first time, there were moments when i wasn't even even paying attention to the movie because i was thinking of how beautiful it looked. night never looked so great before...