dave depraved cronenberg

Started by Cecil, February 10, 2003, 07:23:04 PM

jenkins

wilder

May 28, 2020

Crash (1996) on 4K blu-ray and standard blu-ray from Turbine (Germany), from a new 4K restoration approved by David Cronenberg

UHD:

Blu:

QuoteBonus Material

New Interviews in HD (ca. 140 Min.):
-Talk with Viggo Mortensen & David Cronenberg (ca. 52 Min.)
-Peter Suschitzky (DoP- ca. 20 Min.)
-Jeremy Thomas (Producer - ca.17 Min.)
-Howard Shore (Composer - ca. 23. Min.)
-Deirdre Bowen (Casting Director - ca. 27 Min.)

Archive:
-Theatrical Release Interviews with Cast & Crew (ca. 22 Min.)
-Behind the Scenes (ca. 11. Min.)
-US-NC-17-Trailer
-Trailer (in HD: D & US)

David Cronenberg's Short Films:
-THE NEST (ca. 9 Min.)
-CAMERA (ca. 6 Min.)
-AT THE SUICIDE OF THE LAST JEW IN THE WORLD IN THE LAST CINEMA IN THE WORLD (ca. 4 Min.)

WorldForgot

'Movies were made for sex'

Quote[...]
"I'm interested in seeing myself, even if my posture's poor or something like that. I thought a lot about one shot in Clifton Hill where I should've been standing up straighter. Mother should've been there to tell me to stop slouching."

Though there's no off switch on his philosophy of the corpus, Cronenberg has downshifted his personal output in recent years. He hasn't completed a feature since 2014's Maps to the Stars, and Netflix passed on scripts for two episodes of a proposed miniseries. He's now shopping those around, while waiting on a possible adaptation of his novel Consumed and a "very personal" movie script he's been fine-tuning. "Whichever one happens first, I'll do," he says. "No matter whether you're in Canada or not, with independent film" – he pauses for a dry, hacking cough – "it's difficult to get anything made. The more unusual a film is, the more resistance you'll face.

"It's been a long, difficult process," he continues, "even in the era of streaming or whatever. You're accumulating possible investors, people lose interest, more investors. You talk to maybe Canal+ or a broadcaster, and you wait, and you hope."
Hope is one thing he doesn't seem be especially short on, however. For all the existential despair of his oeuvre, he's got a surprisingly sunny outlook on the future, both for himself and at large. Though he's not too fond of the "completely asexual" superhero movies coming from the American mainstream, he believes the boundary-pushing strain of eroticism he once called his own is alive and well in modern releases like Julia Ducournau's Raw and April Mullen's Below Her Mouth. "To me, movies are sex," he muses. "Movies were made for sex, there's no question about it."

He names Mullen alongside the "terrific" Québécois lightning rod Xavier Dolan and the box-office conqueror Denis Villeneuve as worthy stewards of Canada's national cinema. That being said, Villeneuve's ascent to the global stage gives him pause. "You see a uniquely Québécois film-maker coming out with really quite lovely and singular films, and then immediately getting absorbed by Hollywood," Cronenberg says. "I wonder if that'll be a marker for the future. You wonder if they'll go back and make a distinctly Québécois film again."

He's happy to see the torch passed to the next generation in part because their ranks include his son, Brandon. He's now completed his second feature after eight years of behind-the-scenes development struggles all too familiar to his father. (By dad's metric, a film this long in the making would have to be highly unusual.) Cronenberg the elder counts himself as a fan of his upcoming sci-fi horror Possessor, his total lack of competition just another facet of his apparent inner peace. "We're very close, Brandon and I, we exchange all kind of notes all the time. If he's thinking about an actor who I've worked with, we'll discuss that. I read his scripts as soon as he's willing to let someone read them ... I'm always happy to see his first cut. It's all congenial."

A certain anxiety seems integral to the Cronenberg gestalt and its key themes; inevitable deterioration of the body, the invasive influence of technology, how these both prevent or enable connection to the people around us. One would assume that he'd approach the all-natural body horror of his own ageing process with howling terror, but it's on that front that he's perhaps the most circumspect and calm of all.

"Do I think about my body?" he asks. "All the time. Given that I'm 76, I'm not in too-bad shape. My weight's never been better. I've been working out consistently for the last couple of years, and I've learned that in fact you can gain muscle when you're older. I'm quite happy with my body these days, despite the fact that it's getting more wrinkly. I am constantly body-conscious, that's the thing you photograph most as a film-maker, human figures. It's just that that consciousness sits well with me."

wilder

wilder

Summer 2020 TBD

David Cronenberg's Shivers (1975) is coming to blu-ray in the USA for the first time

The residents of a suburban high-rise apartment building are being infected by a strain of parasites that turn them into mindless, sex-crazed fiends out to infect others by the slightest sexual contact.

wilder

Crash (1996) is being released all over the place --

Coming to 4K UHD blu-ray and standard blu-ray from Arrow in the UK on November 30th:

Quote from: Arrow UK
ULTRA HD 4K BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
   •   Brand new 4K restoration of the uncut NC-17 version from the original 35mm camera negative, supervised by writer-director David Cronenberg and director of photography Peter Suschitzky
   •   4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in High Dynamic Range
   •   5.1 and 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio
   •   Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
   •   Brand new audio commentary with film scholar Adrian Martin
   •   Cronenberg Challenge – new interview with director of photography Peter Suschitzky
   •   Mechanical Animals – new interview with executive producer Jeremy Thomas
   •   The Shore Thing – new interview with composer Howard Shore
   •   License to Drive – new interview with casting director Deirdre Bowen
   •   Archival "Behind the Scenes" featurette
   •   Archival interviews with David Cronenberg, J.G. Ballard and actors James Spader, Holly Hunter, Deborah Kara Unger and Elias Koteas
   •   Cronenberg: Concrete Cowboy – brand new video essay by Caelum Vatnsdal on Cronenberg's use of Toronto as a filming location
   •   Original Trailers
   •   Fully illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Vanessa Morgan and Araceli Molina, alongside a reprinted excerpt from Cronenberg on Cronenberg
   •   Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
   •   Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx

The German UHD and blu-ray discs were just released as standard editions on August 14th

Also coming from Carlotta in France as a 3-disc set (UHD/Blu/DVD) and standard release on October 21st

And The Dead Zone (1983) is finally coming to blu-ray in the US as part of a 5-movie Stephen King collection on September 15, 2020

That leaves Spider (2002) and M Butterfly (1993) as the only Cronenberg films that remain unreleased on blu-ray.

Since Arrow's Crash release appears to be UK-exclusive, Criterion must have it in the US.

Rachel Weisz Teaming With 'Normal People' Writer To Reimagine Cronenberg's 'Dead Ringers' As A TV Series

Weisz is teaming up with "Normal People" lead writer, Alice Birch, to develop a new TV drama based on the Cronenberg film, "Dead Ringers." The film tells the story of two male twin gynecologists that use their identical looks to their advantage before everything begins to fall apart, in typical Cronenberg fashion. Apparently, Weisz is keeping the twin gynecologist aspect intact, but she will play the lead characters and tackle issues that are more closely related to women and society. The twin docs will tackle illegal medical research, sex, and falling in love, as well as a mission to change the way women give birth.

wilder

December 1, 2020

Quote from: Criterion-New 4K digital restoration supervised by director of photography Peter Suschitzky, and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, both approved by director David Cronenberg
-Audio commentary from 1997 featuring Cronenberg
-Press conference from the 1996 Cannes Film Festival featuring Cronenberg; Suschitzky; author J. G. Ballard; producers Robert Lantos and Jeremy Thomas; and actors Rosanna Arquette, Holly Hunter, Elias Koteas, James Spader, and Deborah Kara Unger
-Q&A from 1996 with Cronenberg and Ballard at the National Film Theatre in London
-Behind-the-scenes footage and press interviews from 1996
-Trailers
-English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
-PLUS: An essay by film critic Jessica Kiang

The commentary track is exclusive to the Criterion

Alethia

Damn, certainly one of their better cover designs, of late.

WorldForgot

It's classy but the German/EU art wilder posted before, I thought, gets at the humor more.

jenkins

I basically like all the directors you guys like anyway but Cronenberg is my dude in terms of you guys have dudes like pta and whatnot well I'm not pta-fan about Cronenberg but he is my dude and I just ordered maps to the stars and shivers on Blu-ray. shivers is so cheap on Blu-ray. let's see who streams it, oh the criterion channel. you know I've never seen the dead zone. seems unfortunate I've never seen the dead zone

anyway I decided to end the year by reading j g Ballard's crash since I love the movie so much is what started all this

WorldForgot

The Dead Zone feels winter appropriate - it's a cozy sorta pace.
Maps to the Stars iz an actor's cornucopia.

jenkins

in the maps to the stars thread i discover bruce wagner. i remember alexandro and i vibed about it, and i believe it was on john waters' list that year

not sure when/where/how i'll see the dead zone. and i've heard the score to it but i haven't seen m. butterfly either. everything else, including fast company, i've seen and like to varying degrees. existenz for example i think is okayish, i own the dvd but at the same time i saw at in a new bev matinee and that was a good experience

it's crash, naked lunch, videodrome and dead ringers that make him my dude

jenkins

later I ordered Dead Ringers in fact. amazon already brought it to me and they didn't even convince me to take a free prime trial. pretty nice of them. I've decided to watch it this Christmas Eve. I don't remember the last time I saw it and I'm not sure if it truly nails it or not, tonight I'll find out

it was with The Trouble with Harry and really I just wanted Dead Ringers. The Trouble with Harry was an impulse buy but the worst recent impulse purchase was Forgetting Sarah Marshall. unfortunately it didn't become lost in the mail and ever since it arrived I've felt slightly disappointed in my decision making from a general perspective, it brings down the quality of the room maybe, I haven't watched it yet actually, I'm so mad at myself about it

jenkins

Dead Ringers is mad legit. Carpenter said "Cronenberg is better than all the rest of us combined" and he was talking about this movie for example. it's no small accomplishment for Jeremy Irons. imdb trivia tells me he "found an 'internal way' to play each character differently, using the Alexander technique to give them 'different energy points'" and there is a difference between them and a backdrop here is Reagan-era luxury

I am going to assess Cronenberg's filmography

haven't seen/don't own
The Dead Zone
M. Butterfly

own as a special feature on my Fast Company blu-ray and I've fast forwarded through each of them before
Stereo (Tile 3B of a CAEE Educational Mosaic)
Crimes of the Future

although it doesn't fit snugly into his filmography is it any better or worse than the traditional 70s car movie
Fast Company

when things really get going
Shivers
Rabid

famous ones I haven't watched in a long while
The Brood
Scanners
The Fly

he kills it
Videodrome

essentially flawless adaptations, in terms of the textures are smoothed and enhanced through a filmic structure
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
Crash

not bad, not bad
eXistenZ

psychological chamber dramas
Spider
A Dangerous Method
Cosmopolis

last saw opening week in the theater
A History of Violence

at the time considered it better than the previously mentioned
Eastern Promises

a kind of perfect union of purposeful perversity
Maps to the Stars

wilder

Viggo Mortensen Calls His New Film With David Cronenberg A "Strange Film Noir" That Recalls The Director's "Origins"

Quote"It's something he wrote a long time ago, and he never got it made," said the actor. "Now he's refined it, and he wants to shoot it. Hopefully, it'll be this summer we'll be filming. I would say, without giving the story away, he's going maybe a little bit back to his origins."