Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: MacGuffinhis new DVD set, "Rodney Dangerfield — The Ultimate No Respect Collection," was posthumously released last month, and includes clips culled from his more than 70 appearances on "The Tonight Show."

BTW, this DVD set is EXCELLENT.  We watched much of it on New Year's Eve...  he was such a brilliant comedian.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Gloria

Sad news.   :cry:

Actress Sandra Dee dies at 63
From CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Actress Sandra Dee is dead at 63, her son told CNN Sunday.

Dodd Darin, the son of the late singer Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee, said his mother died at 6 a.m. (9 a.m. ET) in Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center in Thousand Oaks, California, where she had been treated for 14 days for complications from kidney disease and pneumonia.

She was portrayed by actress Kate Bosworth last year in "Beyond the Sea," which starred Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin.

matt35mm

Author Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself

ASPEN, Colo. -  Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.  

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News. Sheriff's officials did not return calls to The Associated Press late Sunday.  

Juan Thompson found his father's body. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.  

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's time in Las Vegas, he is credited with pioneering New Journalism — or "gonzo journalism" — in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story.  

An acute observer of the decadence and depravity in American life, Thompson wrote such books as "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" in 1973 and the collections "Generation of Swine" and "Songs of the Doomed." His first ever novel, "The Rum Diary," written in 1959, was first published in 1998.  

Other books include "Hell's Angels" and "The Proud Highway." His most recent effort was "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and The Downward Spiral of Dumbness."

Raikus

Really fucking sad news. I can't think of much to say right now.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

grand theft sparrow

Neither can I.  There's no words that describe how I feel right now.  Just yesterday, I was telling someone about how Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of my favorite books and how they have to read it.  I lent him my DVD of the movie and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't as I would be watching Hunter's priceless commentary right now.  The human race is truly poorer today.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Sleuth

Quote from: petewhy is everyone surprised?  'cause there was no prophet predicting the exact date of Marlon's death, and there was no website counting down to the day he kicks.  nobody knew it would be thursday or whatever, so obviously everyone's a little surprised.  you don't wake up in the morning and go, "hmm, feels like that fat ol' Marlon's finally gonna croak today!"  you weren't surprised?  if I said "hey dude, guess who died today?"  would you have been like "oh oh oh I know--hmmm--MARLON BARNDO right?!  am I right am I right am I right, check the papers am I right?"  people were surprised becuase this was new information to them.  so there's no need for pas rapport and jeremy blackman to act all savvy and clear-minded.  you were surprised too, you just didn't post about it.
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

no really, i hav a speech impediment that doesn't let me make the "pry" sound in surprised.

also.. it's a figure of speech. it's meant to imply that such an act is not out of character for him, as a way to go out, it is not unexpected. of course technically everyone should be surprised ALL THE TIME at everything unless they can predict the future at any given point. but that's just technical talk.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

Absolutely gutted about Hunter. I just bought kingdom of fear on saturday morning and this is a huge shock.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Just Withnail

Damn it! :yabbse-angry:  :cry: He was a fantastic writer, just amazing. I love the guy, and even rode in here as a newbie with his noggin in the avatar to represent me...Damn it.

Wonder if we'll get to see his double-thumb fist monument take off with his ashes.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You guys always beat me to it.

I was horrified and at the same time understood it was bound to happen sooner or later.

R.I.P. - Hunter S. Thompson
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pwaybloe

cine

the coincidence of withnail's current rank and av is kind of funny..

pete

I met Hunter and family in november when I went to visit my best buddy, who worked for him.  He called me last night as soon as it happened.  within the hour there were paparazzi cars parked in the driveway.  it was disgusting.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12350323%255E2703,00.html

Going out with a bang

LOS ANGELES: If Hunter S.Thompson gets his final wish, the self-inflicted gunshot that killed him this week will not be his last experience with firepower.

The Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas author and "gonzo" journalism pioneer had requested that his ashes be fired from a cannon after his funeral, friend Troy Hooper said yesterday.

While no funeral or memorial service arrangements for the gun-toting writer have yet been announced, Hooper said he had made his last wishes clear before his death.

"I believe he wanted to be shot out of a cannon," said Hooper, associate editor of the Aspen Daily News, based near the Colorado home where Thompson, 67, shot himself.

"I understand it's in his will," he said. "That's Hunter's style. That's how he would want it.

"He was a big fan of bonfires and explosions and anything that went bang, and I'm sure he'd like to go bang as well."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye