Along Came Polly

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2004, 12:39:55 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Opens Friday

Cast: Ben Stiller (Reuben), Jennifer Aniston (Polly Prince), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Sandy), Debra Messing (Lisa), Hank Azaria, Alec Baldwin, Missi Pyle (Roxanne), Christine Barger (Mary Magdalene), Bryan Brown (Leland Van Lew), Nathan Dean (Mitch), Bob Dishy (Irving), James DuMont (Larry), Jsu Garcia (Javier), Amy Hohn (Cheryl), Michelle Lee (Vivian), Masi Oka (Wonsuk), Jeffrey Ross, Mitch Silpa, Suzanne Whang

Director: John Hamburg (his feature debut)

Screenwriter: John Hamburg (cowriter of Meet the Parents, Zoolander)

Premise: A man who's afraid of risk (Stiller), but makes a living analyzing risk ends up getting involved in a risky romance (Aniston) after his new wife (Messing) cheats on him, which turns his stable life upside-down. Sense a theme? (Hoffman plays Stiller's best friend; Baldwin plays his boss; Brown plays a sky-diving, bungee-jumping "adrenaline junkie" seeking a life insurance policy; Silpa plays the director of a play who comes into conflict with Hoffman's character; Azaria plays a French scuba instructor who flirts with Messing's character while she and Stiller's character are on their honeymoon; Michele Lee plays Stiller's mother and Dishy plays her husband.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

GodDamnImDaMan

If i had it my way, the name of this thread would have been called "Along came Fucko"
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Jeremy Blackman

That's an awkward picture. His head looks Photoshopped.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThat's an awkward picture. His head looks Photoshopped.
either that or it's about to fall off. probably to counter-act the lower half of her body, which appears to be shrinking.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

ben's entire body seems to be photoshopped. let's bring in the experts... sphinx? picolas?

Sleuth

I will severely avoid this film.
I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

Magnify the image to about 500%, and you can see traces of photoshopping especially around the top of his head.

Also look at his neck where her arm is... a little inconsistent, isn't it?

He was probably too short... so they put his head on some other guy who obviously had a smaller head.

It also looks like they're standing in front of a green screen. Look at the shadow on his legs, and then on his face. The light source on the two figures is coming from the left, but the light source in the background is coming from the far back (through the trees). The light source on Stiller's face is from the front.

mogwai

i have a theory that the two of them did not get on well on set. and that mr stiller refused to be photographed with mrs anni... anniss.. whatever. and... the dude they photoshopped in is no one other than mr pitt. and... do you know that pitt in swedish means.. eh forget it.

Fishbulb

I was really hoping this was going to be good, but it was very bland, middle of the road stuff. Almost everything that's funny in the movie is in the trailer. With all the talent involved (Stiller, PSH, Azaria), I kept hoping that it was going to get better, but it never rises above mediocre. PSH appears to be doing a Jack Black imitation in this movie- his mannerisms and body language are pure JB (a lot of wild arm movements, "crazy" eyes, and the use of the word "dude"). Azaria's character is just the same wacky foreign guy he plays in every movie. It's really disappointing too, because John Hamburg is a talented writer and director, as anyone who's seen his first movie SAFE MEN can attest. But this time around he really dropped the ball- it's no wonder this movie is getting released in January.

modage

JANUARY: CLEAR OUT THE CLOSETS, BOYS!  ITS A NEW YEAR, EMPTY OUT ALL THE CRAP!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Shit, why is this going to suck? Anybody that's seen "Safe Men" or "Meet the Parents" knows this should have been the funniest movie of the year.

Ravi

Looks like January '04 is when the studios are dumping all their crap.

modage

Quote from: RaviLooks like January is when the studios are dumping all their crap.

january of every year.  feb and march too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

..i'm not a 14 year old female ...with the multicolored braces.......so this film doesn't speak to me.......

Ravi

Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, now that looks like quality film.  Cinema, even.