American Wedding!

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, August 02, 2003, 04:33:16 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

The worst movie of the new millenium. It took everything the other American Pie movies were to new lows. Anyone care to discuss?

Nick

Pas

Worse than ... I dread say the name... Gigli ?!

modage

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThe worst movie of the new millenium. It took everything the other American Pie movies were to new lows. Anyone care to discuss?

Nick

wait, are you implying that you actually saw it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThe worst movie of the new millenium. It took everything the other American Pie movies were to new lows. Anyone care to discuss?

Nick

I liked the first one, but I didn't care for the second.  I'm still going to see the third one, though.  I can't believe that this would be worse than Bringing Down the House.  Now THAT was a horrible film.

Gold Trumpet

Being a fan of the art of Stifler, I liked the third. It was problematic, but enjoyable because Stifler was still doing the right things. Sad thing is he was also doing the worst things in the movie. The first movie was a dud and the second very good. Change of difference is that with the second, Stifler was relied upon to make all the other storylines funny and amusing. The first was some gross out situations with a nice story in search of something more funny more often. Stifler was hardly present. In the second, he was on fire and just his entrance into a scene was amusing.

The third breaks his supporting role stint and pushes him to main character. Mistake. Him trying to carry a storyline of any weight is just embarassing and him being used so often (much more than the second) just wears out his comedic welcome. The first 20 minutes feel like a mockery of the usual American Pie humor - but without being funny.

The movie, though, has Stifler in some excellent moments and even if he has too much screen presence, him just making those facial reactions through out the movie is insanely funny itself. Stifler is in fine form in enough good moments for me to recommend the movie but my case is made on the fact that I am a fan and admirer of the art of Stifler.

~rougerum

modage

can i make a formal request to have GT's title changed to "a fan of the art of Stifler"?  thanks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

i really enjoyed the first one and kind of enjoyed the second.....i'll see the third, i guess

Cecil

Quote from: themodernage02can i make a formal request to have GT's title changed to "a fan of the art of Stifler"?  thanks.

good idea. also, i would like themodernages title changed to "irreversible hater"

pete

the only way to save the american pie movies is to have jason bigg's character played by christopher walken.  that's the only way.  you need something of that cult status to make it work.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

markums2k

I liked it.  It's my favorite of the American Pie Legacy, if I had to pick a favorite.  The 2nd one had the best gags, but overall sucked.

I also liked NOT seeing Chris Klein this time around.  Maybe that had something to do with it...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The first one was so raunchy, I couldn't help but laugh.  Shannon Elizabeth is hot, they knew it, and they knew the movie wouldn't be as a much of a hit otherwise.

2 had no Shannon Elizabeth, but everyone went to see it thinking there would be.  If 3 dosen't have it, I'm going to lose it.  (Or hop on the information superhighway and find me up some pics, hahaha)

In any case, I can only see the jokes going the way of Austin Powers and becoming more and more recycled.  It's like pee.  You can boil it and drink it again, it evaporates more and more, but right from the start it something your body rejected anyway.  Or maybe it will go the way of old yeller.  

Hopefully.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ghostboy

I liked the first one, sort of, but the second was mediocre and this new one is pretty bad. But for some reason, the characters are so endearing to me that I can't help but think of them fondly. Mabye it's because the first one came out the year I graduated high school (and American Wedding opened on the weekend two of my best friends got married, interestingly), but I've got a soft spot for the movies, even though I don't like them. The trailers make me smile and feel nostalgic. By the way, does anyone know the name of the song that's been in all the trailers and the very beginning of the movies?

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyBy the way, does anyone know the name of the song that's been in all the trailers and the very beginning of the movies?

"Laid" - James
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

Favourite line from the AP trilogy.

Stiffler: "Sherman! - What the fuck are you doing here!?"

To be honest I really dont like the movies at all. In a lot of ways its to do with their unrelenting soundtracks pissing me off so much (even when I liked the songs). Sean William Scott is an extremely talented performer though and I think he can really save any mediocre film he's in...kind of like Owen Wilson.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

TheVoiceOfNick

This movie was really really crappy... in fact, it was so crappy it was shitty... poop on this movie! That's all I gotta say!

Nick