Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

mogwai

Quote from: freakerdudeEvenflow (yes, the song) was the erection and orgasm for their entire career IMO. And one of the guitar players even admitted he distinctly tried to imitate Stevie Ray Vaughn's style on that song. Pearl Jam made a mark but w/o any substantial longevity. Their niche was the time it came about. I saw them on SNL twice and they really couldn't do it live....it was embarrassingly bad.

And Rolling Stone was quoted as claiming they would be the next Led Zep.......same as what they said about Guns N Roses. R&R burnout bands is what they became and they went up in a flash.
since their breakthrough they've moved on from being a in your face 24 7 to a normal rock n roll band. you should never trust what a corporate rock magazine writes. if they predicted in 91 that pearl jam would be the next led zeppelin.. then nirvana would be the next black sabbath. it doesn't make any sense. burnout bands are the once who continue making shit records and do everything to squeeze out the last dollars. pearl jam is not one of those, rent 'touring band 2000' and 'live at the garden" and watch a band who's in top form. pearl jam has survived all the nasty fuck up bands and those who thought they could make more than one album. i hate when people who dismiss music that they listened to years ago. and that they would never give it a chance. they're too afraid to penetrate the surface to see what's in store. to experience pearl jam you had to be there from the start. on every album there songs who's as orgasmic as even flow. is stevie ray vaughn the best guitarist ever? from which guitarist do you think he borrowed his own style? and in which way could steve prevent mike mccready (the excellent lead guitarist) from stealing his licks? try digging up his grave and make the corpse of the former guitarist play the guitar again. good luck. thank you. keep on rockin in the free world.

some of your friends are already this fucked.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: freakerdude
Quote from: GhostboyI've only liked a handful of Pearl Jam songs.
Evenflow (yes, the song) was the erection and orgasm for their entire career IMO. And one of the guitar players even admitted he distinctly tried to imitate Stevie Ray Vaughn's style on that song. Pearl Jam made a mark but w/o any substantial longevity. Their niche was the time it came about. I saw them on SNL twice and they really couldn't do it live....it was embarrassingly bad.

And Rolling Stone was quoted as claiming they would be the next Led Zep.......same as what they said about Guns N Roses. R&R burnout bands is what they became and they went up in a flash.

mogwai is right on and would likek to add:

1.0 how can you consider PJ A BURN OUT BAND???
--because most burn out bands cannot play at MSG......and other huge venues....or contiue go on and make quality music.....

2.0  while evenflow was/is a great song their catalog has much to offer..youi might be the type of guy that listen to ten and maybe vs.  and thought the rest sucked b/c you never bothered to keep on list'ning

3.0  stevie ray vaughn was not the main influence overe mccready's style..its hendrix.....

4.0  WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER 'SUBSTANTIAL LONGEVITY'????

5.0 what do you mean they really couldn't do it live....??
of you want  borrow/buy touring band 2000 or live at the garden....
you can even listen to the one song you only know..(even flow)..buy i suggest for that song the live at the garden has a nasty solo by mccready..best i have ever heard in that song....

freakerdude

Quote from: NEON MERCURY3.0  stevie ray vaughn was not the main influence overe mccready's style..its hendrix.....

5.0 what do you mean they really couldn't do it live....??
of you want  borrow/buy touring band 2000 or live at the garden....
you can even listen to the one song you only know..(even flow)..buy i suggest for that song the live at the garden has a nasty solo by mccready..best i have ever heard in that song....
I only meant he said Evenflow's style was dedicated to SRV's....only that song and not his careers style.

I just thought the two SNL performances weren't up to par for them. I can't say I have heard them on any DVD or audio CD during a live show.
MC Pee Pants

RegularKarate

Pearl Jam started out great and have continued to occasionally release good songs.

I don't hate them, I just think that they took an avenue that wasn't my flavor (pseudo-pretentious vibe-rock)... I haven't really followed them that much to remark on thier career post-Morrison wannabe era, does Vedder continue to use the word "windowsill" in the later albums?

rustinglass

damn! I can't find lost dogs nor live at the garden anywhere!
:cry:  :cry:
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

Quote from: rustinglassdamn! I can't find lost dogs nor live at the garden anywhere!
:cry:  :cry:
don't you have amazon or something? like a decent cd or dvd store on the net?

rustinglass

:( I don't have a credit card....
I'm gonna ask my brother...
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

Quote from: rustinglass:( I don't have a credit card....
I'm gonna ask my brother...
no, don't do that! i advice you to only buy shit at amazon.com that you can't find in portugal. what i mean was that if you had a 'netshop in portugal?

freakerdude

Quote from: mogwaiyou should never trust what a corporate rock magazine writes. if they predicted in 91 that pearl jam would be the next led zeppelin.. then nirvana would be the next black sabbath. it doesn't make any sense.

is stevie ray vaughn the best guitarist ever? from which guitarist do you think he borrowed his own style? and in which way could steve prevent mike mccready (the excellent lead guitarist) from stealing his licks? try digging up his grave and make the corpse of the former guitarist play the guitar again. good luck. thank you. keep on rockin in the free world.
I actually thought PJ and GNR could have turned out to be much more than what they became.

I never said SRV was the best and never said MM "stole" the licks. He said he loved SRV's style so much that it was his form of an SRV dedication. SRV's main influence was Albert King and not Jimi Hendrix like everyone thinks. To even say something like digging up a man's grave is fucking ridiculous. Voodoo Chile baby!
MC Pee Pants

abuck1220

QuoteI just thought the two SNL performances weren't up to par for them. I can't say I have heard them on any DVD or audio CD during a live show

two words...sample size.

mogwai

there's an exciting easter egg on the "live at the garden" dvd:

1. Hunger Strike live in Mexico
On DVD remote choose TITLE SEARCH
Select "Title 2"

rustinglass

yeah, I saw that, who the hell is that chick? She CANNOT sing a single note right. Was eddie drunk or high or what?
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

Quote from: rustinglassyeah, I saw that, who the hell is that chick? She CANNOT sing a single note right.
that's corin tucker from sleater-kinney, they opened for pearl jam throughout the whole tour. i think they're a punk band or something. i guess she can sing a little but eddie had to sing chris cornell's parts. go figure.
Quote from: rustinglassWas eddie drunk or high or what?
high? no. drunk? it's possible, at every gig there's a bottle of wine beside his mikestand. i guess it's a way of letting go of stage fright. you've seen the show on the dvd, he takes a sip now and then. it's not like he's shitfaced and ruins every song. erm, actually, that has happened. not every song though. :yabbse-grin:

Bethie

Pearl Jam rules. Simple as that.

Sure that is only my opinion, but MY opinion is right.  8)

They are my favorite band. I love them to death.

(This is my first post. This calls for a celebration)
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

just a small update on how the band looks today. this photo was taken at an award ceremony where pearl jam was given a 2004 impact award.

from left to right: jeff ament, stone gossard, mike mccready, matt cameron, unknown, unknown, eddie vedder, unknown.