Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

Stefen

They'll have to find someone else who's oft-amused.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 17, 2010, 11:13:24 AM
haha  "Sophisticated"

... or you could say "boring"

I'm already asleep

Is Nancy Meyers directing The Tonight Show?

ono

MacGuffin

Conan O'Brien weighing live tour
Talk show host may perform at U.S., European venues
By Associated Press

Conan O'Brien may be taking his act on the road and even overseas.

The former "Tonight Show" host is weighing a tour that would take him directly to his fans, according to a person familiar with the proposal.

The person, who was not authorized to publicly discuss the plans, spoke on condition of anonymity.

Details are unsettled, the person said, but O'Brien may perform live in U.S. venues, including college campuses, and head to Europe. An O'Brien spokesman declined comment.

As part from his settlement with NBC over his exit from "Tonight," O'Brien is not allowed to make TV appearances until September but the pact doesn't bar him from doing live performances.

The tour could be a prelude to a new talk show for the comedian, who left "Tonight" in January when NBC tried to bump him to a midnight slot. Possibilities include Fox, which expressed interest.

Jay Leno reclaims "Tonight" next month.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

he got a twitter account yesterday or something

http://twitter.com/ConanOBrien

probly hav over 250,000 followers by the time i post this.

his first tweet:

Today I interviewed a squirrel in my backyard and then threw to commercial. Somebody help me. 

Leno has around 30,000 followers.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Here's a classy Conan tweet (and I otherwise hate Twitter and haven't really browsed it much, but I guess maybe I should since this is funny):

If anyone's curious what I look like with a beard, it's this ?:^(0) Coincidentally, that's also my ATM pin number.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Kal

Between Conan showing up on Twitter and watching Leno come back tonight to his fucking show, I'm very pissed.

Conan needs to be on TV.

MacGuffin

Lorne Michaels says Conan O'Brien will prevail
Speaks out on the saga at 'Saturday Night Live' discussion
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- "Saturday Night Live" creator and executive producer Lorne Michaels predicted Tuesday night that Conan O'Brien would prevail after his recent departure from "The Tonight Show" and NBC.

He also said he is not in a hurry to retire, because he is very engaged in the show and enjoys it. "There will be a time for that," Michaels quipped. "It will be very difficult for me to stop."

He also said he feels it is important to keep an old-school variety show on the air as networks nowadays wouldn't launch a new one. "This will be the last of it," he said.

Michaels, who used to executive produce "Late Night With Conan O'Brien," said he originally picked the comedian because he was "very smart," "just brilliant" and had an "amazing character." After early struggles, he prevailed, he added. "And I'm sure he will again," Michaels added.

He made his comments at "Live From New York," a discussion led by the New Yorker's Ken Auletta with Michaels and "SNL" head writer Seth Meyers.

Michaels danced around the question about the reason for the O'Brien-Jay Leno disaster. "There was a lot of worry and concern" that Leno could go to another network when the transition to O'Brien as "Tonight Show" host neared, he said, which is why Leno was given the 10 p.m. slot. But this meant that O'Brien did "not necessarily" have a good lead-in.

Meyers suggested the original promise to make O'Brien Leno's replacement years before the actual handover was problematic, too. "You can't tell someone that you want to stay married for five years" and then get a divorce, he said.

Various questions Tuesday night surrounded SNL's celebration of its 35th anniversary this year and its longevity.

Execution is more important than the comedic idea, Meyers and Michaels said. The former mentioned the popular "Dick in a Box" skit with Justin Timberlake as one example of an idea that might not have sounded as funny before it was written and performed to perfection.

Michaels said skits must play during the dress rehearsal, with the best sketches seeing performer and writing in perfect harmony. "It's almost never the idea," he said. "It's all about how you do it."

Auletta also asked Meyers about a comment by Tina Fey that "30 Rock" character Jack Donaghy was modeled after Michaels. "There are definitely a lot of seeds of Lorne in Alec Baldwin's character," he said.

The event was organized by the New Yorker and the S.I. Newhouse School.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Conan O'Brien to go on tour
Comedian to start 2-month, 30-city theater tour on April 12
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Conan and the gang are hitting the road.

After weeks of speculation, former "Tonight Show" host Conan O'Brien announced today that he will headline a 2-month, 30-city tour that will kick off April 12.

The tour is titled "Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television," after a clause in O'Brien's exit contract with NBC that doesn't allow him to appear on TV until September.

In keeping with O'Brien's knack for unorthodox choices, recently showcased in his decision to pick a random Michigan woman as the only person he would follow on Twitter, O'Brien will launch the tour not in Los Angeles or New York but in Eugene, Oregon.

O'Brien will be joined by longtime sidekick Andy Richter and the former "Tonight Show" band.

He will visit theaters in at least 20 states and 2 Canadian provinces.

"It was either a massive 30-city tour or start helping out around the house" said O'Brien, who has been sharing experiences from his post-"Tonight" life at home through his recently launched Twitter account.

He used Twitter to announce the tour Thursday morning.

"Hey Internet: I'm headed to your town on a half-assed comedy & music tour," he wrote, sending followers to teamcoco.com for tickets.

He quickly sent a second message noting that teamcoco.com had been jammed with too much traffic and later announced that the tour will be adding a second show in both New York and Chicago.

"I'll be doing all Liza Minneli songs," he wrote.

American Express is sponsoring the tour and ticket prices will start at $39.50.

"It promises to be a night of music, comedy, hugging, and the occasional awkward silence," the organizers said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

I got tix for Radio City.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I got tickets to Austin Music Hall.  I was lucky enough to have a heads up so I got the second tier priced tickets (seat-wise, not counting the seven hundred dollar meet and greet shit) so we should have decent seats.