Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Derek on January 08, 2010, 11:51:01 PM
Leno's crowd has a shelf life. His audience finds Letterman too harsh and out there. Not to say he's not funny. But your grandparent's would probably watch Leno over Letterman, which leaves Conan totally in the dark.

I don't think its Letterman's harshness. Definitely could be his being "out there" because I think it's his style that keeps Leno fans as Leno fans because I've never found Letterman to be funny and always preferred Leno. Puts me in a minority with this board, but I think Leno can tell meaner jokes. He just tells them straight so Leno is always beholden to the joke being funny on its own grounds which doesn't happen all that much. I just don't find Lettermann's physicality to be very funny.

Carson and Jay's style do overlap, explaining his stepping in for Carson many times during his Dorito years. I'd bet Conan has far more fans which will be watching the Tonight Show in five years, rather than Leno.

I just don't see that happening. Carson survived decades with good ratings and Leno showed no signs of slowing down in his ratings. I think Conan has a niche audience and hasn't been able to translate over just yet. I also think he has too many similarities to Letterman and won't be reeling in any independent viewers or Letterman viewers. They will remain devoted to Letterman. He's not attracting the Leno crowd at all or getting enough of his old audience to regularly watch, but O'Brien also was starting to lose in his 12:30am slot so I just don't think he's that strong as far as hosting goes on major network broadcast. I wish he would go to Comedy Central, accept a smaller audience, and get more risky with his gags and become better.

I'm not trying to say Leno's bad, but he hits the lowest common denominator audience. And who's to say he won't want to change his situation again in another year or two, after they've pissed off Conan?

Because they would have no one to turn to who is established in late night. Jimmy Fallon will have to stay in his time slot for a long time to come and Conan would never come back unless NBC was willing to break the bank in an unprecedented manner, but they won't because Conan will be no guarantee. Besides, NBC is struggling in general with its flagship channel. They need people like Leno who can make money without costing too much.

MacGuffin

Jay Leno talk turns to Conan O'Brien
Speculation abounds that 'Tonight' host may switch networks
Source: Hollywood Reporter

On Thursday, the industry was abuzz about Jay Leno and the fate of his primetime talk show.

But on Friday, the focus shifted to another NBC host -- Conan O'Brien -- and speculation that he may jump to another network due to NBC's rollback effort reneging on his "Tonight Show" agreement.

If NBC gets its wish, the network could be in a strong position moving into next season. Scheduling a half-hour version of "The Jay Leno Show" at 11:35 p.m. and then an hourlong "Tonight" with O'Brien just after midnight would not only free up 10 p.m. for scripted programming but also fire two barrels onto CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman." Letterman's hour would, in effect, face both Leno and O'Brien. Between the two, it isn't hard to predict that NBC would easily reclaim its title of late-night leader.

Leno is apparently up for the change. But O'Brien hasn't signed on. If O'Brien skips to a rival network, the late-night landscape will be in for a whole new competitive makeover.

A source at ABC denied interest in O'Brien, expressing confidence in the network's current late-night figurehead, Jimmy Kimmel, whose show has posted gains this season. But a Fox source sent a clear signal of interest.

"We've always been interested in late-night, and we're always looking to bring great new talent to Fox," the well-placed source said. "While Conan would be a great fit for Fox, he's still under contract with NBC, so we'll just see how all of this plays out."

Forget Simon Cowell -- it's O'Brien who may be Fox's biggest X-factor.

Another way to read the comment is that Fox is merely mucking with a competitor. Remember, Fox's overtures toward O'Brien years ago helped push NBC into locking down the former "Simpsons" writer by promising him "The Tonight Show" in 2009, a agreement whose implications are still being played out. Even if O'Brien stays at NBC, another network expressing interest puts pressure on a rival.

There are also a couple contractual wrinkles that discourage a O'Brien changing networks. One is that O'Brien's contract includes a $40 million penalty fee if NBC takes away the "Tonight Show." The network seems confident that by keeping the program's name unchanged -- even if the time period moves -- that it doesn't violate his contract. Another is that O'Brien's contract may not allow him to change networks, at least not right away, though one report suggested that NBC wouldn't block him.

In the meantime, the clock is ticking.

NBC would love to have a positive resolution to its current debacle to announce at its press tour session Sunday. And with affiliates getting antsy, the network prefers to make a change shortly after its Winter Olympics coverage.

People close to O'Brien say the host has received overtures from "several places" and that he will likely not make a decision before March 1.

Though even if Leno and O'Brien get sorted, there's always the possibility of more news stemming from other changes in NBC's late-night lineup.

"Nobody is talking about Jimmy Fallon," marveled an NBC insider.

Or Carson Daly.

"Yeah, or Carson Daly."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

that's weird that everyone on the board was bashing Leno but not the network for stiffing him and Conan.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

I think it's just taken for granted at this point that NBC and Jeff Zucker can't do anything right. 
My house, my rules, my coffee

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Jay Leno exiting primetime
NBC planning to put scripted programming back at 10 p.m.
Source: Hollywood Repoter

NBC Universal TV Entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin confirmed Sunday to reporters at the Television Critics Assn. press tour in Pasadena that the network is going "back to basics" -- scripted programming at 10 p.m., talk shows in late-night and a traditional network upfront in May.

"I can confirm that starting Feb. 12, Jay Leno will no longer air at 10 p.m.," Gaspin told the packed auditorium. "While it was performing at acceptable levels, it did not meet our affiliates' needs. My goal right now is to keep Jay (Leno), Conan (O'Brien) and Jimmy (Fallon) as part of our late-night lineup. As much as I'd like to tell you we have a done deal, we know that's not true."

NBC has asked Leno to move to 11:35 p.m. as a half-hour show, followed by O'Brien's hourlong "Tonight Show" and Fallon's one-hour "Late Night." Leno is expected to agree to the change, though it's unclear if O'Brien is willing to stay with the network. One way or another, Gaspin said he expects the network will have a new schedule in place before the Olympics begin next month.

"I can't imagine we won't have everything in place before then," he said.

Gaspin was uncertain at this juncture what will air instead of "The Jay Leno Show" at 10 p.m. but estimated in the short term there will be "two hours of scripted, another reality hour and combination of 'Dateline' or repeats."

When asked why NBC abandoned its 52-week strategy with Leno, giving him a year to settle into primetime before making any decisions, Gaspin pointed to affiliate concerns.

"I would have liked nothing more than to give this a 52-week try," Gaspin said. "Affiliates started calling, saying local news was being impacted more than expected. In some cases, they had the No. 1 news show, and now they were No. 3."

After affiliates began to informally threaten to pre-empt the telecast due to slacking ratings for their local newscasts, their displeasure was going to become "a PR issue" for the network and Gaspin said he felt compelled to act quickly.

"This was not an issue for the network; it was an issue for our affiliates," he said. "We were making money at 10 p.m. I think over time (Leno show ratings) might have started to grow. For the network, it was not yet a wrong decision."

The proposed shift wasn't an easy decision -- or an easy sell to NBC Uni president and CEO Jeff Zucker. Gaspin said he decided before the December holiday break that he needed to make a change. He had multiple conversations with Zucker, explaining in each why every other possibility (such as scaling back Leno to fewer nights) wasn't going to work.

"I did an analysis of all the possible changes I could make," Gaspin said. "(I told him) this was our best choice and probably our only choice."

Pressed on whether "Leno Show" was a mistake, Gaspin said, "I don't think its wrong to take chances. We might have been too early on this one."

Even while pledging to return to a more traditional network model, Gaspin expressed some skepticism about whether 10 p.m. is truly viable for scripted programming. He noted that "Leno Show" lost NBC nine-tenths of a rating point this fall, yet competitors ABC and CBS, which largely stayed with drama series in the hour, likewise lost a tenth of a point each.

"I handed them nine-tenths of a rating point each, and they each lost a tenth," Gaspin said. "Tell me there's not a problem with 10 p.m. on broadcast."

Leno, O'Brien and Fallon, Gaspin said, were "incredibly gracious and professional" when told the news.

"I made the tough call," Gaspin said. "They all understood the situation I was in. ... Beyond that, it was a private conversation."

The hosts have the weekend to think about the proposed changes. "Last Call" host Carson Daly, however, might be the odd man out, with Gaspin saying only that Daly would "remain part of the NBC family."

On the programming side, Gaspin confirmed the pickup of several pilots and announced that the network is developing a Los Angeles-based "Law & Order," which was jokingly dubbed "LOLA." He announced that Howie Mandel would take over for David Hasselhoff as a judge on "America's Got Talent." NBC will air a preview of Jerry Seinfeld's new reality series "The Marriage Ref" after the Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony -- a network first.

After experimenting with an April "infront" for the past two years, the network will return to a traditional upfront presentation on May 17, giving its programrs more time to produce a crop a pilots.

"I almost don't care how quickly it happens, as long as it happens," Gaspin said of his goal to improve the network's lineup. "As long as I see an hour going up instead of going to the side or down, I'll be happy. ... In some cases, going back to basics is the smartest play."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on January 09, 2010, 12:09:00 AM
Because they would have no one to turn to who is established in late night. Jimmy Fallon will have to stay in his time slot for a long time to come and Conan would never come back unless NBC was willing to break the bank in an unprecedented manner, but they won't because Conan will be no guarantee. Besides, NBC is struggling in general with its flagship channel. They need people like Leno who can make money without costing too much.

The affiliates hate Leno, though.  He's a terrible lead-in to the nightly news, from which the affiliates get to keep the ad revenue.  NBC's dramas generally had better ratings, though they were more expensive.  So even with less ratings, Leno makes more money for NBC.

Late night rumors clip from Conan's Friday monologue.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ravi on January 11, 2010, 12:22:37 AM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on January 09, 2010, 12:09:00 AM

The affiliates hate Leno, though.  He's a terrible lead-in to the nightly news, from which the affiliates get to keep the ad revenue.  NBC's dramas generally had better ratings, though they were more expensive.  So even with less ratings, Leno makes more money for NBC.

Late night rumors clip from Conan's Friday monologue.

Leno is a terrible lead in at 10pm. When hosting the Tonight Show, he came after the nightly news and did better business. The whole point of this late night chatter is about the bankability of Leno back at his old place, not at 10pm.

©brad

How will you be able to call Conan's show "The Tonight Show" when it'll air at 12:05am!

Derek

I think they're going to call it Another Today Show.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

matt35mm

"First Late Night Show of the Day with Conan O'Brien"

or

"Top O' The Morning with Conan O'Brien"

modage

Conan O'Brien Says He Won't Host 'Tonight Show' Following Leno
Source: NYTimes

Conan O'Brien says he will not host "The Tonight Show" if it is moved to 12:05 a.m.

In a statement Tuesday afternoon, Mr. O'Brien said he cannot participate "in what I honestly believe is its destruction."

Last week NBC outlined a plan to move "The Jay Leno Show" to 11:35 p.m. in March, elbowing Mr. O'Brien's "Tonight Show" back half an hour. Mr. Leno seems supportive of the plan; but in his statement, Mr. O'Brien rejects it outright. The statement reads:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

After 16 years making a name with his distinctive brand of intellectually silly comedy on NBC's "Late Night" show, Mr. O'Brien replaced Mr. Leno as the host of "The Tonight Show" a mere seven months ago. He is just the fifth man to lead "Tonight," after Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Mr. Leno.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Pubrick

i see his point. but i still think he should ride out Leno's inevitable failure at 11:35, after which he would regain top spot and even if it's a struggle to regain a significant audience (given that i stopped watching since the move to LA and the focus on LA itself is a huge turn off to me) it would in the end be worth it to say I TOLD YOU SO and to keep doing the show he loves.

Patton Oswalt said it best about Leno, he appeals to ppl who generally have very little interest in quality television or quality comedy, and the kind of ppl who made The Cleveland Show a reality. it's a combination of meatheads and just plain dullards that kept Leno in business all this time. The success of Jay Walking is the biggest indicator of the kind of ppl who enjoy his show and fill his audience - larry the cable guy type idiots who would like to pretend they are above standard american idiocy just because they get the chance to laugh at it. it's no wonder he also laughs at stupid criminals, and that he loves things that go VROOOOOOOM VROOOOOOOOOM.. U-S-A! U-S-A!

gimme a break, fuck leno and fuck what he has done to late nite tv.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Well, this is probably a power play anyway.  The network knows that if he leaves, Leno will get his old spot back (which is probably what would happen even if Conan stayed, really, people still like Jay) and then Conan will go somewhere else and become competition.

He's giving them the choice and not letting them push him around (though I guess he could end up caving if they call him on it).

Letterman is coming out on top of all this.  He's having a hell of a good time talking about it.  Gives him an opportunity to speak on what a pain in the ass the old Late Night wars were.  He talks shit about Leno, clearly respects Conan, and disses Carson Daly.