Grizzly Man

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2005, 03:50:41 PM

Bethie

Like several of you, I also caught it on the Discovery Channel. The commercials were shown in what seemed like every 3 minutes. Once it hit the 2hour 15min mark, I felt that I got it and gave up. Maybe I'll watch it without the commercials someday.

did any of you watch the diary of the grizzly man? a lot of his friends talked about the film and him. I caught a lot of that. interesting.
who likes movies anyway

i know i super praised manderlay recently but i cannot shut up about this documentary being outstanding and important. there isn't much  i can say about it, just that i cried during most of it. i feel devastated.  i admire herzog for making me interested on something i might've probably taken as 'wacky'. what a poet, herzog.  i feel a kind of guilt whenever i think about herzog's view on nature  and society. makes me long for the days i thought mobile phones were evil. the indiference of nature is probably my favorite theme ever, and this documentary demonstrates that art's called art cos it's not nature. i think herzog knows this but treadwell didn't.
context, context, context.

w/o horse

Quote from: cronopio on February 16, 2006, 09:40:58 PM
i know i super praised manderlay recently but i cannot shut up about this documentary being outstanding and important. there isn't much  i can say about it, just that i cried during most of it. i feel devastated.  i admire herzog for making me interested on something i might've probably taken as 'wacky'. what a poet, herzog.  i feel a kind of guilt whenever i think about herzog's view on nature  and society. makes me long for the days i thought mobile phones were evil. the indiference of nature is probably my favorite theme ever, and this documentary demonstrates that art's called art cos it's not nature. i think herzog knows this but treadwell didn't.

I love this post.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ultrahip

please, someone tell me what the "hooo-yip, hoooo-yip, hoooooo!" song is at the end. i feel like it's don edwards...but what's it called? and is it really don edwards?

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ultrahip

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ravi

I just started watching Grizzly Man on DVD and it says onscreen, "This film has been modified from its original theatrical version."  What's up with this?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi on July 20, 2006, 09:18:09 PM
I just started watching Grizzly Man on DVD and it says onscreen, "This film has been modified from its original theatrical version."  What's up with this?

Alternate Versions for
Grizzly Man (2005)
The DVD from Lions Gate Home Entertainment opens with a disclaimer stating that the film has been changed from its theatrical version. The sole change is in the first ten minutes where Herzog explains that Treadwell had become a semi-celebrity. In the theatrical version a clip is shown of Treadwell on CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman." Treadwell comes out and explains what he has been doing and Letterman quips, "We're not going to open a newspaper one day and read about you being eaten by a bear are we?" In the DVD version this exchange is omitted and replaced with a NBC news segment of Treadwell being interviewed. When the interviewer asks if he would ever want a gun to protect himself, Treadwell states that he "would never, ever kill a bear even in the defense of my own life."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Thanks, Mac.  Why was the Letterman clip taken out?  Was it considered bad taste?

SPOILERISH

This is not a nature film extolling Treadwell and nature.  It portrays him as an idealist who doesn't really know how to help these bears.  What did he accomplish by living with them?  One person can't be their savior.  At the same time, these bears were his saviors.  He traded his struggles with alcoholism and failure for a sort of idealism and egomania that he could protect the bears and that humans were the only destructive and selfish beings.

Herzog firmly puts his opinions on the film, with his view of nature as chaotic and hostile.  A lot of documentaries strive for "objectivity" but filmmakers show their biases in what they show and how they show it anyways, so he might as well consciously say something about the subject matter.

mogwai

Reelist bump!

Finally saw it on Netflix today. I think Herzog is a brilliant documentarian who has a great chunk of compassion into his projects. I think a lot people has said on how weird the Timothy Treadwill guy was but I can see the similarity between him and Klaus Kinski. That's also what Werner said in the doc that he has seen that kind of eccentricity on movie sets or something.

Even though this was a documentary it reminded me of "Into this wild". Even though it was based on a real guy I felt that both movies captured the isolation and somewhat despair. In Timothy's case he was quite close to civilisation but chose to be one with the bears. I don't really know whatt that means but what the hell yeah? :yabbse-grin:

That's all from me folks!

wilberfan

This was running on the local PBS station last night when I got into bed.  I'd seen the film in it's original run, but hadn't though much about it over the last several years.  Goddamn, what a compelling, confusing, disturbing, infuriating, eye-rolling, frustrating subject and documentary.  It's marvelous.  I'm going to have to watch it in it's entirety again.  Werner, you're amazing. 

Reel

Two Reelist bumps in a row. bravo!  :bravo:

wilberfan

I don't get the reference, but you're welcome?

Robyn