Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I can't bring myself to watch any of these.

Shhhhhh!

©brad

Comic-Con: Even Breaking Bad's Vince Gilligan No Longer Sympathizes With Walt

Walter White has arguably already done the irredeemable several times on Breaking Bad, but series creator Vince Gilligan says we still haven't seen the former chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin at his worst. Makes sense with sixteen episodes left to go. Gilligan told the Comic-Con crowd Friday that his own opinion of Walt changed dramatically only recently. "He does something this season that, as the first viewer of the show, I myself would probably say, 'I lose all sympathy,'" Gilligan said, taking care to separate the idea of Walt's "likability" from his "watchability." At one point, he even polled the audience: "How many of you guys think this guy's as bad as he's going to get?" When they cried back, "No!" Gilligan smiled. "He may get worse yet."

When we last left Walt, he had proclaimed his victory over Gus to Skylar ("I won"), and Gilligan said "winning" and its consequences is very much the theme for the fifth and final season. "Walt has found a new power, and it's his ego," said Bryan Cranston, who wore a hazmat suit onstage and was met with a standing ovation.

"Somebody said to me once, 'Is it possible for Breaking Bad to have a happy ending?' And I said, 'Have you been watching?' Perhaps the happy ending would be for him to die. He's become so toxic and cancerous, maybe that's the way it's supposed to go."

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Brando

Spoilers

Anyone expect Walt to meet Kate at the airport telling her they need to go back to the island? Now that stupid joke is out of the way lets get to the episode.

The prologue was a huge jump in time since the pilot was on Walt's 50th birthday and we have yet to reach his 51st in the present and the prologue takes place on his 52nd. The prologue was interesting but enjoyed the episode more. I liked how they tackled the obvious loose ends they left from the previous season.  Berneke and Gus' cameras were all the obvious loose ends hanging over Walt that I could think of.  The fact that they handled them both in the first episode lives up to a show that knows the viewers expectations and surpasses them by working with the obvious and surpassing them. Their approach was great too since it's been like the 2nd season we have seen Walt and Jessie use their wits to get out of a situation like this. It then opens up a show which is already unpredictable.

Finally, I have to say I love their use of extras and their callbacks. They remember the entire shows history unlike other shows.  I like how they use extras like Jim Beaver and the salvage yard owner.  They remember these characters and bring them back. 
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I have perhaps never been more eager to quote myself:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 10, 2011, 10:13:55 PMYeah, those are plenty of interesting loose ends. Here's another one: How much evidence did Gus leave behind, in his home, in his various buildings, and especially in his freaking laptop?

Another quote of interest:

Quote from: Fernando on October 11, 2011, 10:42:37 AM
1. not only that was filmed, Gus' lab was wired, as JB said, how much info/footage is on gus' laptop? too much.

2. when the DEA connect the dots of Gus and the fire in the laundry they will realize Hank was right all along, so my feeling is they probably will hire him back, if that isn't aloud because of how he was fired, then as an advisor or something.

Someone also pointed out that Jesse is on tape teaching people how to cook meth in that Mexican warehouse, with Gus and Mike and at least some people who were found dead by the pool (like the Mexican Mike). What were there, like a dozen video cameras? That warehouse hasn't been burned down, and certainly no one's had the chance to cover those tracks. This may be too obscure to come into play, but I guess we'll see.

On to the episode.

I love how things worked out with Mike. When the writers are faced with one of these huge questions (in this case, what does Mike do), their solution is always so perfect for the show and makes so much sense. It's kind of a flawless expression of Mike's character the way he comes back into the fold. You get his "oh brother, you guys are idiots" thing and his "just doing my job" thing all in one package, with just the right amount of aggression and resentment mixed in, in light of recent events.

But especially... the way Mike was reunited with Walt & Jesse (the two cars speeding toward each other) was so bizarre that it was undeniably metaphorical. Great stuff.

Notable Heisenberg moments:
- "Because I say so."
- "We're done when I say we're done."
- Most threatening hug ever. *

* If you've seen a more threatening hug on screen, I challenge you to start a thread about most threatening hugs and put it there.

Is Ted simply scared into silence, or does he expect some kind of compensation? Seems like they're always paying someone's medical bills, so why not? But I'm leaning toward scared into silence.

Not totally sure what to think about the cold open. It's in the not-too-distant future. Walter appears to have plenty of money, but he is clearly in some trouble, looks a bit nervous, certainly less arrogant than he is in the present day. Significantly humbled, even downtrodden. But he could be making an offensive or defensive move, and we don't really know his position, so they could surprise us. It does prove that things are not going to be easy. In any case, it would be great if this turns out to be the climax of the show. Or if they have more flash forwards, and we have to put the pieces together.

Season 5 Plot Hole #1 - Gus would have needed at least one external hard drive were he actually recording all that footage.

And just for fun, here's a screenshot of the checking numbers. But don't get too excited, I've already used it to create a PayPal account.

Quote from: Brando on July 16, 2012, 01:19:40 AMTheir approach was great too since it's been like the 2nd season we have seen Walt and Jessie use their wits to get out of a situation like this. It then opens up a show which is already unpredictable.

It's true, I did miss seeing Walt and Jesse trapped together in those kinds of scenarios. Like the scene where they were hiding from Hank in the RV. I'm sure there will be more of that.

Jeremy Blackman

MORE SPOILERS

As a followup... I always learn a few things after I read the AV Club review and/or the comments. Yes, the comments.

One commenter made this astute observation:

I think Skyler might be a goner by the time the cold open takes place. Walt appears quite sullen, isn't wearing a wedding ring, and is recreating a moment that his wife created for him two years ago. And later in the episode, they made specific mention of his wedding ring being on his finger.

Also, this is Walt's new gun. Fully automatic.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 16, 2012, 02:32:59 AM
MORE SPOILERS

As a followup... I always learn a few things after I read the AV Club review and/or the comments. Yes, the comments.

I think Skyler might be a goner by the time the cold open takes place. Walt appears quite sullen, isn't wearing a wedding ring, and is recreating a moment that his wife created for him two years ago. And later in the episode, they made specific mention of his wedding ring being on his finger.

Holy shit! I didn't get that but it makes total sense. Wonder if Walt Jr. survives?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 16, 2012, 02:01:43 AMSeason 5 Plot Hole #1 - Gus would have needed at least one external hard drive were he actually recording all that footage.

Yeah thought the same thing. These writers are way too smart to not have an answer for that. The only thing I could think of was maybe it was set to record only the last 24 hours?

Other things I loved:

- "Yeah! Magnets!"
- Hank investigating the burned down lab was so surreal. Felt like the moon landing.
- "You know, I can envision a lot of possible outcomes to this thing, and not a one of them involves Miller Time."
- If the flash-forward taught us anything, the cancer is rearing its ugly head.

Amazing premiere. I can't wait to listen to the podcast.

diggler

"This is the universal sign for keys"

That was a brilliant little caper they worked out for them, and filled a few plot holes in the process.  As great as the dramatic scenes are (creepiest hug ever), I love that the show still knows how to have fun.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 16, 2012, 02:01:43 AM

Notable Heisenberg moments:
- "Because I say so."
- "We're done when I say we're done."
- Most threatening hug ever. *

His "I forgive you" line with the hug was very Heisenberg. All these moments really hint at Walt's perception of his invincibility. His ego is just going to keep growing.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 16, 2012, 02:32:59 AM

I totally forgot about Skyler making his breakfast in the pilot with the 50. I don't think Walt would stop wearing his wedding ring cause Skyler died. I think its more likely she left him or he's not wearing cause it's part of his new identity. Also, I read someone mention that we don't know for sure that it's his 52nd birthday.  We just know that what is says on his fake ID.  Although, I wouldn't think Walt would make a point of mentioning his fake 52nd birthday to the waitress. So his real birthday must be the same as the fake. This show continues to call back to previous plot points.  Maybe this new identity of Walt's was set up by Saul's guy from last season. Maybe he disappeared Walt and his family but Skyler refused to go with Walt so they disappeared separately. It makes since that Walt has been living a better part of a year alone with a new identity with no idea where his family is and he has nothing to lose so buys a huge fucking gun at a denny's. Its not the same Denny's from last season's first episode Box Cutter is it?

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, I suppose the wedding ring thing is ambiguous. They are perhaps just not married. I have a hard time seeing Skylar come around. She might have at one point when she was having fun with the conspiracies and coverups, but full Heisenberg is too much for her. "The one who knocks" was even too much for her.

I think he's being honest about turning 52. The podcast confirms this; it's just meant to indicate a point in the future. Vince thought about shooting an alternate take with him making a "53" with bacon in case they wanted to push the scene farther in the future, but he decided not to.

I don't think Walt has been disappeared in the flash forward. He would probably be in a different country, not even showing his face in public, and certainly not involved in weapons deals.

It really was a fun episode. So much humor, yet it stays so dark, in some cases within the same line.

Oh another fun fact from the podcast. Vince wanted to use a Vietnam-era M60 because it's the same weapon Rambo used, which they like because it's a step up from Scarface.

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 16, 2012, 12:54:54 PM

It really was a fun episode. So much humor, yet it stays so dark.

The show in the beginning was hilarious. "Cow house" The show's had a few funny moments but with the threat of death hanging over them for the better part of the last two seasons it hasn't been no where as funny. This episode as you said had a lot of humor and physical gags. The truck tipping over was great.

Tictacbk

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 16, 2012, 12:54:54 PM
I think he's being honest about turning 52. The podcast confirms this; it's just meant to indicate a point in the future. Vince thought about shooting an alternate take with him making a "53" with bacon in case they wanted to push the scene farther in the future, but he decided not to.

I think i've said it before, but I'll say it again: I hate that the podcast confirms things like this.  It takes something away from the show when theres not rampant speculation about every single detail every week.  I mean, I'm glad I know now, because it helps us focus our discussion, but it takes some fun out of it.  I guess I'll just deal with it.

Everything about this opening episode was great fun.  Except for Ted, man that guys a real downer these days, huh?  Seeing as they could've easily written him off as dead this season and they didn't, I'm guessing he's going to stick around for a while.  Maybe start demanding money, in which case he could become a new problem for Heisenberg to take care of.

polkablues

Thank god for Breaking Bad. Mod and I needed something we could agree on again.

Takeaways from the season premiere:
- Interesting that, after the operatic human drama of the end of season four, they start off the new season with what's essentially a caper film.
- Anna Gunn is the weak link in this cast. I worry about her ability to hang when we get close to the end.
- Mike is the real tragic hero of this series. He's Breaking Bad's Omar.
- When Mythbusters gets around to doing a Breaking Bad special, it's going to be the best episode ever.
My house, my rules, my coffee