Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 11, 2011, 07:43:11 PM
Skylar says, "I'm just the bitch mom that wouldn't cut you any slack." Walter clearly feels bad about this, so he pauses, gets emotional, appears to introspect for a moment, and he says the thing we've been talking about: "I'm sorry... I'm sorry that I put you through all of this..." Look again at the way he nods when he says "I'm sorry," and then his lips actually quiver like he's about to choke up. It's subtle, but it's undeniably there. Then we get a somewhat extended shot of Skylar giving him a clear look like, "Wow, is he really--" And Walter pulls back abruptly with "how's that sound?", which I think is a clear attempt to prevent Skylar from getting a full victory in this moment.

This makes sense to me.  At some level, consciously or not, he does feel that way, but his pride forbids him from coming out and saying it without the cover of "just rehearsing".  Yes, he's proud that he's providing for his family, but he also finally has a sense of just how dangerous his path is, and there's no way he doesn't feel regret over getting his family involved in it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

DONE: AMC & Sony TV Reach Deal For 16-Episode Final Order Of 'Breaking Bad'
Source: Deadline

After tense and public negotiations, AMC just closed a deal with producer Sony Pictures TV to renew dark drama Breaking Bad for a final batch of 16 episodes. The episodes are expected to be filmed together but may be split into two seasons, with a final scheduling decision to be made at a later date. The deal comes just as the series was facing two deadlines: its license deal with AMC was set to expire tomorrow and the options on the actors are up Aug. 31. The two sides have reached a compromise over the stickiest issue --who will cover the series' budget of $3 million-plus. I hear both Sony TV and AMC will contribute.

While negotiations were contentious and Sony did flirt with the idea of moving Breaking Bad to another network, the two sides started making progress over the past two weeks, leading to today's deal. With the series renewal secured, Sony TV now has to make a new deal with Breaking Bad creator/ executive producer Vince Gilligan, who doesn't have a contract beyond Season 4 but is fully expected to return for the series' final hurrah. The cast, led by Emmy winners Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, may also renegotiate their deals.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Walt's going to kill Jesse. And all you nerds were wrong.

This show is impossible to predict. Jesse probably lives.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

What a superb episode. Just everything about it, every minute. That scene with Walter pouring wine was so cinematic, like something out of the Godfather.

Quote from: S.R. on August 14, 2011, 11:40:52 PM
Walt's going to kill Jesse. And all you nerds were wrong.

This show is impossible to predict. Jesse probably lives.

Dunno, I've done okay so far. I wasn't totally right about what Mike was doing, but I was right that it was unconventional rehab. I was right about Walter's apology (some disagreed that it was even an apology) leading to the reconciliation.

Seriously though, this was one of the best episodes in the series. Probably even worth a rewatch before next week. The season is young, and it's already given us this one and the season premier. I like where this is going.

picolas

it was the best episode of the season thus far for sure. a return to lots of stuff happening. the final scene actually made me slap my knee.

i still find mike very annoying.

Fernando

Walter never ceases to amaze me, like I said the guy has too much pride.

i don't care that he was drunkish, his stupid big ego shows up again when hank is saying how a genius is gale, he has to take away credit from a dead's guy! it was already done, they were no longer searching for heisenberg, but he hates when someone takes away credit from him, like when walter jr sets up that donation site and he is furious when saul solves the problem of cleaning the money.

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on August 15, 2011, 11:49:23 PM
i still find mike very annoying.

I love Mike!  I always imagine him as the star of his own show where he's just trying to be a professional, do his job, and go home and play with his grandkids, and these loose-cannon idiots keep fucking up his day. 
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Yes, totally. Mike works for me.

Also, Gus's plan was genius. What drug kingpin uses positive reinforcement to straighten out an underling?

Jeremy Blackman

Here's an acute observation (on Gus's scheme) from the AV Club's Donna Bowman:

The immediate goal is to tie Jesse more tightly to the organization in order to prompt a clean-up of his risky off-hours lifestyle, to give him something to live for and someone else to be loyal to. But I suspect that Gus is also trying to cut the umbilical cord between Jesse and Walter, isolating Walter further and eliminating his ability to appeal to their partnership as a bargaining chip.

©brad

I can't stop listening to I think my penis grew an inch after watching that time lapse sequence, and I know I bitched about time lapse earlier but whatever. I can't believe I'm watching a TV show when I watch this sometimes.

Great episode.

Tictacbk

Did anyone find Gus's plan for Jesse too contrived?  To me it seemed to serve the end of the previous episode more than anything else.  Plus it went off so perfectly despite there being all sorts of holes in the plan.  That and the conversation at the end where Mike confirmed "Everything went just how you thought it would go," or whatever, rubbed me the wrong way. 

Still a good episode, just not as great as episode 4.

Jeremy Blackman

No... I thought the plan was pretty genius. Anything less contrived, and Jesse might have figured it out. He has to believe that he's "shaping up" of his own free will.

But I do agree about that line, which was probably the weakest thing in the episode. I'm not sure how I'd say it differently, but yeah, that was a little heavy-handed. It smells like something that was rewritten to be more clear.

72teeth

My Gramma's ep is going to be on this sunday! Although it sounds like her part has changed entirely... she said Bryan Cranston is exactly who you think he is and when the day was done, announced "Ladies and Gentlemen, this was Cecilia Holguin's first attempt at acting and i think she did one hell of a job!" and lead everyone in applause and hugs... I've never heard my gramma sound so excited, she sound 13 years old, it's beautiful to hear her tell it... I'm stoked to watch it but bummed that i haven't been watching BB already, hope i don't ruin anything. Keep an eye out for her, she'll be the short, pissed off, hispanic lady :)
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

picolas

Quote from: 72teeth on August 17, 2011, 06:15:08 PMshe'll be the short, pissed off, hispanic lady :)
cool beans!

i felt the same way about that line. another rare moment of cruddy exposition.

checked... the line was "anyway, just like you wanted, the kid's a hero."

at the very least it should have been "anyway, the kid's a hero. just like you wanted." less awkward.

72teeth

Cecila Holguin-Anaya as Woman #1!
Well, it wasn't a super huge part, she was the blonde Honduran worker who Walt payed to clean up, but i am super proud of me Grammy! :bravo:

Although, it's weird, but i really wish she did get killed on screen  :twisted:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza