John Hughes

Started by NEON MERCURY, December 13, 2003, 08:12:27 PM

tpfkabi

one thing this has reminded me of:

my family wanted to rent The Great Outdoors (i believe John wrote this) and so we did, get home and the tape is messed up. tracking does nothing.

take it back, go to another store in town. same thing. we gave up. luckily, i caught it on tv afterwards.

sincerely,
jack handey

p.s. i also remember at said rental store when my mother asked for a nice family film and the guy suggested a Richard Pryor film. we only watched about 5 mins. mom wasn't pleased.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Neil

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/370-Beech-Street_Highland-Park_IL_60035_1109385563?source=web

who wants to go in on this? 

Oh yeah, i couldn't let this go.  I needed another shot.  The homeschooling thing was a joke! guess i struck a nerve.

QuoteI turned 16 the other day and I gave high school a shot, but dropped out for home schooling because I missed my mother's nipples for suckling. Obviously.

I last saw Breakfast Club two years ago on TV. The conformity philosophy relates mainly to Ally Sheedy's character. She is the real outcast of the group with her odd eating habits and little quircks that puzzle everyone else. She is also the character who is most portrayed by John Hughes in caricature fashion. We get to understand a lot about the other characters in their defeats and problems, but she continues on mostly as an image of poverty to true socialization in high school which obviously means the only transformation she needs (according to the film) to be normal is a beauty make over. Not just clean her up her looks to make her more clean, but a total makeover where she is now featuring a 1950s hairdo and even a fucking pearl necklace (if I remember correctly). It's insulting because those kids who dressed offbeat and lived by their quircks were represented more than by their physical appearances.

It sucks that this is what you got out of the film.  Actually that doesn't matter in the least.  What does however, is the fact you neglected to talk about the behavior of high school kids. High school is a gigantic fucking caricature.  Yeah, sure i thought that i was above being in cliques at that time, and i thought "I"M NOT GOING TO CONFORM" blah blah blah, or that dressing a certain way wasn't something to consider. I was above those things, persisting to my friends and myself.  But, regardless of whatever you thought, even if you were this elitist in high school as well, the chances are, you and I were just as cliche as any of these underdeveloped melodramatic characters in this move.  to deny it, or act above it would be dumb.  If you want to sit here and tell me you weren't wholeheartedly involved with your emotions when you were 16 or whatever in high school, whatever they might have been, get the fuck out of here.  Not everyone is on your level.  Shallow people exist.  Lots in high school especially. Seriously man, you're claiming this film to do all these things, no one brought up, check the end quote for the nail in the coffin on that subject.  When i was in high school i would have said the same thing man, something like "dude, dressing a chick up to look preppy is bullshit, this ain't hunky dory shit here etc" but don't forget all the fucking judgmental folks who rely on this type of thing to get through their lives, and all the people who looked down on others for what they wear among many many other superficial things.  It's called a commonality through all that alienation. Molly's character is dumb, let's accept it, and that's their moment, or whatever, it's fucking silly, but  If you'd like to believe that when the chick in the film gets made over, that will be the most inspiring part of the film, for me as an angst ridden kid, or most every other person then get the fuck out of here pt. 2.  There are so many more important, and sometimes little moments in this film, that makes it what it is to me.  I've spoken like this before, so if you want to take the RK approach and say these things are no excuse for the film being bad, i will not argue that one fifteen minute segment ruins the movie for you philosophically.  Aside from all that, and your poor attempt at a joke in the beginning, i was wondering when you grew up, honestly.  Sure, it came off sarcastic, but that's beside the point. I went to high school in the 00's, and those who went through that in earlier times, faced the same shit, it was just another time.  Well, as we both know, by the time the 00's rolled around, much of the surrounding world has been desensitized.  With all that in mind, i think discussing child abuse among the rebellious kid, is quite a step for two teenagers in the 80's going to a date movie.  Not to mention the whole idea of the man in power being completely abusive with his position, and nothing coming out of it, besides a bride from the custodian.  But yeah, i can't believe that PEARL necklace.

QuoteAnd I hate the film because I grew up with all my friends telling me how great it was. When I first saw it was not impressed but didn't care, but ten years of stories about its greatness can get annoying. Yes, it's me just hating a teen film in the end, but everybody hates certain films that don't deserve it for various personal reasons. To act above it is dumb.

You almost redeemed yourself here, but the meaningless rant killed it.  It seems that this is the antithesis to the idea you introduced involving attacking "Your movie" or someone's movie.  I mean, man it sounds like you hate it because people over hyped it, and then you wanted to never be wrong in an argument involving the film ever again, so you decided to say, the film is unrealistic, and philosophically piss poor in regards to the complexity of being in high school.  Sure, it COULD go deeper, and focus on whatever the fuck you want, but saying that the film could have have done this or that, and it could have worked is a statement that contains more ego than this board can contain.  As someone told me in another thread, you're doing it wrong.  In closing, obviously the film isn't the end all be exposition of what high school is, i'm sorry your friends said it was.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

I finally saw She's Having a Baby.

I don't remember the other Hughes films having so many montages, false dreams and comedic cutaways (I don't know the term for what Family Guy does all the time - cutting to an extreme idea of what's presently going on within the scene).

The makes the flow of the film really odd. And the title is quite misleading as I don't think a baby comes up until half or 2/3rds of the way through the film.

Elizabeth McGovern seems so subdued for most of the film and then when she blows up on Alec Baldwin it doesn't feel earned. I'm not sure I can think of any other EM performances right now. Maybe she is always like that.

The lawnmower dance and song sequence feels out of place.

I liked the scene where the office/job literally closes in on him.

From what I read about him after his death it seems this is quite a personal film, so maybe that is why it felt odd. A good deal of it is based on true life, but he wanted to marry it with what he was known for with his prior films so he injected that stuff in there. I get the feeling most of it is based on real events though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

wilberfan