The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

HeywoodRFloyd

PTA interview with Charlie Rose on CBS

ElPandaRoyal

Wow. This was weird and stupid. Does this mean we're not gonna have the big Charlie Rose interview this time?
Si

theyarelegion

why is that ditzy loudmouth from oprah asking paul questions....? c'mon. and that other loudmouth needs to silencio too.

the clip at the start was excellent..."secrets"...

also, charlie at the end: can you answer this is fifteen seconds? what was the most important thing you learned from robert altman?

wat? that question would have been a relevant ending to the interview if he was promoting CMBB...

HeywoodRFloyd

So I was bored on the train today and decided to make a poster on my phone for The Master:

ElPandaRoyal

The Lisbon & Estoril Film Festival 2012 just announced The Master as one of the many movies to be screened there. It will be Out of Competition. There's also going to be a complete career retrospective of Brian de Palma. One of two things will probably happen: either I get a press pass and spend my days there, or work will keep me from seeing anything. The second option is the most likely.
Si

HeywoodRFloyd

Do you think this might hurt his chances?
But Joaquin's ultimately right though.

matt35mm

He'll still get nominated, or else it'll be obvious that the Academy is totally petty. They probably ARE petty, but they don't like to be obvious about it. They want to pretend to be legit, and one can't appear legit without nominating this performance.

Also, others (Woody Allen springs to mind) have expressed disinterest in the Oscars and they still get nominated (and sometimes win).

Jeremy Blackman

It's just the kind of transformed performance that the Academy loves. I'm sure he will be nominated.

PSH has a smaller chance. He of course only won for his most transformed performance, in Capote (which was also arguably one of his least impressive).

HeywoodRFloyd

James Franco Says PTA Courted Him For Joaquin Phoenix's Role In 'The Master'

Coming to theaters this fall...the new film from Paul Thomas Anderson starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeremy Renner, Reese Witherspoon and Emma Stone. Yep, had the cards been dealt differently for PTA, "The Master" would have been quite another picture. Now we can add another actor to the trivia list of the version of "The Master" that didn't get made.
During a panel discussion at the Austin Film Festival, James Franco shared a pretty nice anecdote about how PTA courted him for the part of Freddie Quell and how he ultimately "wasn't scared enough" to win the role. "Well, I don't know if this is a funny story but it's a true story," he regaled when asked it there was a part that ever intimated him. "Paul Thomas Anderson was getting ready to make 'The Master' and he called me and we met. And we talked and we ended up meeting for coffee. We didn't talk about 'The Master' but I met him to chat. And then he kept calling me and he wanted to talk and talk but I didn't know what he wanted to talk about because we'd always just kind of bullshit on the phone. So then when he started talking about the role he said 'Do you feel like you can do this?' And I said 'Yeah, totally. Look, I think you're like the best American director. I feel confident. I know I can do this.' And he said to me 'But I want this to scare you. I want this role, going on this journey to scare you.' And I was like 'Scare?! I know I can do it."

"And so, incredible movie, needless to say I didn't get the part. I guess I wasn't scared enough or something, or whatever reason I didn't get it," he continued. "And then when I saw Joaquin [Phoenix] in that movie I realized 'Oh, he wanted me to like lose my mind.' And so I guess that's just to say I usually don't get scared of roles."

And while we'll forever wonder what Franco's Freddie Quell might have been like, it seems he and Phoenix both have one thing in common -- a distaste for the Academy. "You know, I'll say one, I'll say a role. The Oscars was challenging because the material they gave me was CRAP!"

Clearly, PTA made the right choices and was blessed with the cast he did get and film he delivered. But is there any alternate world version of "The Master" you'd like to see? [EW]

via indiewire: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/james-franco-says-pta-courted-him-for-joaquin-phoenixs-role-in-the-master-20121020?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

HeywoodRFloyd

Just Withnail

Any xixax-Londoners going to The Master this weekend? I'll be in town to see it saturday at 17.00 and sunday at 17.40.

max from fearless

I'm going to the Friday night 20.25pm screening! CANNOT WAIT! PS. Doesn't it feel good to see the Ads all over the tube stations?

Drenk

You know how I'm supposed to go to the Odeon from Saint Pancras ? :yabbse-grin: I used Google Maps, but people is always better than Google Map, sometimes. I'll come from France next friday. I want to know everything about the 70 mm at the Odeon !  :yabbse-grin:
Ascension.

max from fearless

Hey Drenka, just go to Kings Cross St. Pancras Underground, get the Picadilly Line to Leicester Square tube station, come out the station and walk into Leicester Square and the Odeon West End is in the right hand corner of the square, across from the main (huge) Odeon Leicester Square cinema. Should take about 30mins! I will report back from the screening on Friday, cannot wait!