I, Robot

Started by indiana, October 04, 2003, 04:21:15 PM

SHAFTR

I saw it and liked it much more than I thought it would.  It wasn't perfect, it wasn't as good as Minority Report, but it was a very enjoyable summer film..
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Stefen

Chris Cunningham would have directed the shit out of this movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Finn

I didn't like it very much. The screenplay and acting was kinda weak. I think it was more of a vehicle for Will Smith than anything else.  I never thought much of Alex Proyas and I still don't.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SHAFTR

Quote from: StefenChris Cunningham would have directed the shit out of this movie.

Until Cunningham directs a movie, not a 5 minute music video...I'll start praising him.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Thrindle

GT and I saw this one last night, and we both agreed that, although flawed (blah), it was really fun to watch.  
If ever I'm in some horrific situation, I pray to God that Will Smith will be there to infuse humor in the face of death...  :roll:
Classic.

modage

i really didnt care for this movie at all.  i could just feel proyas making studio concessions with every frame.  the story is a really great idea and a cool jumping off point for a movie but they just didnt exercise its potential at all.  will smith was miscast, and i really didnt care for his brooding at all.  his character was 1 note.  the design of the movie was boring.  the converse were just sickeningly product placed, without ANY reason whatsoever.  'characters' that would be in teh film for 2 scenes were completely pointless (grandma, shia la bouff, etc. )  it seemed like this wouldve made a cool dark sci fi movie but i feel like proyas was probably forced gently to make it into a summer action vehicle which was a wrong fit and i didnt think it worked at all.  i feel bad for all those involved, i like smith and proyas but it was not to be.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

i havent seem this yet.....and the way things are goinf i guess i will wait until its on the sci-fi channel or TNT..but its mandatory that i know the worst will smith one liner in the film ...he always has one in just about every film hes been in... please help  me out.......

El Duderino

i wasnt really expecting much out of this because of the trailer (which uses quotes that are out of context), but i have to say, it was a pretty decent movie. sonny was badass.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Myxo

Anyone who paid 8.00 to see this and expected anything more than mediocrity is crazy.

;)

Ghostboy

There was some really good stuff going on with this movie, which made me feel that it was worth my money; it wasn't enough to make it a very good experience overall, though. The robots were amazing, technically, but they provided the only moments of respite during the Akiva Goldsman-ized story. Proyas was developing this film long before Smith or Goldsman or even a studio got involved, before it had anything to do with Asimov (not that it does now) other than robots; I imagine it's a far cry from the original script.

On the upside: the 54 million opening weekend will give Proyas more clout to make another brilliant film on his own terms.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyOn the upside: the 54 million opening weekend will give Proyas more clout to make another brilliant film on his own terms.
yes.

Quote from: SHAFTRUntil Cunningham directs a movie, not a 5 minute music video...I'll start praising him.
no.
under the paving stones.

rustinglass

Quote from: StefenChris Cunningham would have directed the shit out of this movie.

YES

for those who have seen it: is the cg better than gollum?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

They're hardly comparable. The robots for the most part look very real, but it's easier to create a machine, even a very expressive one, in CGI than a living creature like Gollum, and on that level, Gollum is a much greater success.

oakmanc234

It was alrighty. Cool popcorn flick. Hardly seems like something from the director of 'Dark City' & 'The Crow', more like a darker version of a Barry Sonnenfeld flick. Smith was Smith, fun & charismatic but nothing new. Definately some of the most crazy action/FX scenes of the year so far (especially liked the attack on his car). I wish the robots design were different though, I kinda got tired of looking at them as opposed to being in awe. Cool flick, but won't be dieing in anticipation of a sequel. And by the looks of the box-office, it seems its selling a lot of popcorn. And probably a lot of Converse's too.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

MacGuffin

Better than what I was expecting, but it did nothing new to push the sci-fi/action genre, although the tunnel and the climax scenes were pretty exciting. But the film still works in all the same cliches of hot-shot detective and his chief/boss, even using the classic line "Hand over your badge." The pacing felt long (cutting the unnecessary secondary characters would have helped) and Smith (who could have cut back on his signature one-liners) and Moynahan seemed like an updated version of Stallone and Bullock from "Demolition Man." Too bad the film didn't explore some interesting ideas that were just touched upon, like in the interrogation scene.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks