Favourite commentaries

Started by phil marlowe, January 29, 2003, 12:57:07 PM

somecompany

Informative Commentaries
John Hughes on Ferris Bueller#s Day Off - A very interesting discussion of filmmaking. If only Hughes would do commentaries for Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Home Alone and Weird Science. Drool...
Kevin Smith, Vincent Pereira & Scott Mosier on Dogma - They talk at length about the different styles and techniques they used and inject it with a good dose of humour too.
Lloyd Kaufman on The Toxic Avenger - Surprisingly interesting and Kaufman obviously has quite a bit of film knowledge.
Richard Kelly & Jake Gyllenhall on Donnie Darko - One of the best commentaries I've heard in a while.
Malcolm Ingram & Matt Gissing on Drawing Flies - One of the best commentaries around as they talk about making a low budget bigfoot movie in Canada.
PTA on Boogie Nights - The guy is like a less irritating Quentin Tarantino (Not badmouthing QT but his commentaries give me a headache if I'm not in the right mood). He's very interesting and has a real love for his craft.

Fun Commentaries
Any Kevin Smith Commentary - The man is just funny. I can't tell you how many people I know hate his movies but buy them for the commentary.
Kevin Smith, Jason Lee, Jason Mewes, Carmen Lee, Renee Humphrey, Malcolm Ingram, Matt Gissing on Drawing Flies - Granted, a KS commentary but not on one of his movies. It's a real fun commentary.
Any John Waters Commentary - I love this man!
Evil Dead 2 - Bruce Campbell. That is all.
We May Be Through With The Past, But The Past Ain't Through With Us

View my DVD Collection at http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=somecompany

Find Your Magali

I like the commentaries on the Universal horror classics. Especially David Skal's commentary on "Dracula" and the commentary on "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein"

Ravi

Quote from: Find Your MagaliI like the commentaries on the Universal horror classics. Especially David Skal's commentary on "Dracula" and the commentary on "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein"

Rudy Behlmer did a good commentary for Frankenstein.

Redlum

Just like to ad the commentary to Moonlight Mile, with Brad Sibeling, Jake Gyllenhaal and Dustin Hoffman. Extrememly entertaining and informative. Plus its a commentary that I'd listen to again.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Spike

I liked the "Snatch"-commentary by Guy Ritchie and Matthew Vaughn. Ritchie is nearly all the time treating Vaughn and they're most of the time arguing about something.
I also liked the "Se7en"-commentary by David Fincher, Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman, although I didn't understand everything (I'm German and the commentary hasn't German subtitles). My favourite line from Fincher: "I did about 27 takes of that and by the end of the day everyone was looking at me like I was fucking nuts."
The commentary by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens on the Extended Cut of "Fellowship of the Ring" was good, too. They are telling lots of interesting informations and details. I would kill for a PJ-commentary on "Braindead".
Adam Rifkin did a great commentary on "Detroit Rock City". It's very funny, packed with informations and nice little details.
Although I don't like that guy very much I have to say, that Brett Ratner does great jobs in doing audio commentarys. I thought that both, "Rush Hour 2" and "Red Dragon" were great.

I still haven't heard Paul Thomas Andersons commentary on "Boogie Nights", because they haven't released the Special Editon DVD in Germany yet and I haven't got a credit card (so I can't import it).

Could somebody please tell me, what PTA is talking during the Rahad Jackson-scene in "Boogie Nights"?
It's one of my favourite scenes ever and I would really like to hear what PTA said at that point.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Banky

i watched all my Kevin Smith commentaries this weekend and i must say he has the most entertaing ones by far.  I can listen to them over and over.  I like the Clerks cartoon commentary a lot too.

Alethia

Quote from: Spike

Could somebody please tell me, what PTA is talking during the Rahad Jackson-scene in "Boogie Nights"?
It's one of my favourite scenes ever and I would really like to hear what PTA said at that point.

wait till ur turn comes.

hrHuffSomeStuff

John Waters for Hairspray. It is one of the funniest, most honest and just plain entertaining commentaries I have ever heard.

freakerdude

Blue Velvet has some great insight to what Lynch had in mind for this film from it's inception. Lynch and most of the characters offer a great bit of detail about the making of this movie. This movie is in my all time top 5 easily.

Training Day
MC Pee Pants

Sanjuro

the breathless dvd is pretty empty but the commentary on the movie is good
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Weak2ndAct

Cronenberg's commentary on the 'Crash' criterion laserdisc is great.  Informative on story and filmmaking.  One helpful tidbit for budding filmmakers:
The French Reverse.  To make a small space (preferably a hallway) seem longer than it really is, shoot your actor's singles at opposite ends, so you can see the full distance/space behind them.  

Diagram: < = camera, actors = A,B

((----------------------------HALLWAY-------------------------------))
  <  A,B......................................................................A,B >

When shooting B, you see the whole space behind him, move to the opposite eye for A's shot, you see the whole length again.  A simple set dressing switcharoo hides the trick.

kotte

Both the Roger Dodger commentaries are great.

The Director/Cinematographer one is very informative and interesting. The Cast one is hilarious. Scott is one funny guy. Damn it's great.

pete

I just got The Rundown.  the commentaries were better than the movie, it was one of the funniest commentaries I'd heard actually.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mr_boz

BOTH commentary tracks on HARD EIGHT/SYDNEY - i love listening to PHILIP BAKER HALL speak while i make breakfast.  especially at christmas time.
--ccb

the irvine welsh commentary on 'the acid house' by paul mcguigan is approximately 2 hours of complete silence.