Christmas Movies

Started by modage, December 01, 2003, 08:20:18 AM

modage

Quote from: tommy_bothMy #1:
HARD EIGHT
oh get outta my thread with that noise.  we have a whole forum for paul drooling.  hard eight has no dominion here.  

Quote from: ebeamanHmmmm, I don't think anybody has mentioned "The Santa Clause" yet so I guess I'll have to.
funny you should mention that cause....

THE SANTA CLAUSE (1994)
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! When I get home, I'm getting a CAT scan!

ebes, i have to agree and thats why i saved this for one of the last ones. i think The Santa Clause is the best christmas movie of the past 15 years (since Christmas Vacation), and one of my favorites ever as far as xmas movies.  its funny, there are lots of jokes tim allen throws in for adults (as in, will go over kids heads), plus has a pretty new idea to throw out there as far as the story.  althought its almost funny how similar the opening scenes are in this and Jingle All The Way.  (too busy dad is working last day at office during huge christmas party, is late for meeting with son, is stuck in/says is stuck in traffic on way to meet him.  eerie)  but if you've never seen it Tim Allen plays Scott Calvin, divorced dad of Charlie who lives with mom and psychiatrist stepdad Neil, who wants Charlie to be based in reality.  on christmas eve santa claus falls off allens roof and he ends up having to fulfill his duties.  it may not sound like much, but if you like christmas movies its pretty good.  it doesnt spend too much time pandering to kids or dumbing things down and ends up being pretty clever for it.  recommended for fans of christmas flicks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: ebeamanI still actually haven't seen the second one. I'll have to rent that this coming week.
although on the flip side of the coin....

THE SANTA CLAUSE 2(2002)
ONE OF THE WORST CHRISTMAS MOVIES EVER!!

i think anyone reading this thread can see that i have a pretty high tolerance for what i'll put up with as far as these types of movies.  but let me say that this movie is not only ONE OF THE WORST CHRISTMAS MOVIES EVER, it is also ONE OF THE WORST SEQUELS OF ALL TIME and maybe even ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.  i cant even begin to describe how bad this movie is, and how it fails on so many levels.  let me say that i actually saw it last year in theatres only to my shock and horror.  i told my family that they could NEVER see it for it could only tarnish the memory of the first and that it was too bad for words.  then when it came out on dvd i realized that no amount of describing its awfulness could ever do it justice.  in order to know the pain that is The Santa Clause 2; it must be viewed.  so i told my family that they should have to watch it, just once, so they too could know the horror.  so tonite after we watched the first one, the second one we saw was coming on pay-per-view in a few minutes and we knew it was fated to be.  after a brief synopsis of the plot my mom had already left the room, 40 minutes into the film my dad could stand it no more.  only my sister and brother were brave enough to stick it out to the end with me.  this movie is bad on a biblical scale.  without further adeiu, the plot...

the movie opens and we discover that santas son charlie has ended up on the naughty list because he is now a delinquent who 'tags' up the walls at school.  also, that there was a !2nd clause! that said that santa must have a wife.  (forget that this is completely illogical because why 10 years later must he have a wife?  and when the first santa fell off a roof where did his wife go? did she disappear?  did the elves kill her?)  but it gets better.  because santa must go find a wife and doesnt want the elves to be alarmed that if he doesnt find one his magic will run out and he wont be santa anymore, a fake santa is created and put into place at the north pole.  not just any fake santa but a fake Robot Santa that turns out to be a Facist Dictator!  complete with facist outfit!  he creates an army of wooden soliders who enslave all the elves and force them to make coal for everybody because he's evil and convinced that all kids are naughty.  can you even believe i'm typing this?  (also, whats worse is that people went to see this.  like, it made A LOT OF MONEY.  and i've read a few reviews who said it was good.  what the hell were they watching?!)  anyways, like i said, thats the basic setup which results in a giant battle at the north pole at the end between soliders and elves and santa and evil dictator robot santa where tim allen utters lines like "honey, i'm home!" for absolutely no conceivable reason before jumping from reindeer to reindeer in a midflight battle.  

i could go on, but if this hasnt been warning enough, you'll have to see it for yourself.  because like i said, no amount of me describing it can do it justice.  everyone watching it with me admitted at the close of the film that they didnt take my words seriously but only then did they understand.  otherwise AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

i agree with the last two posts.......

has anyone mentioned a charlie brown christmas?   i really love watching that.......

Gamblour.

Now I truly do have to see Santa Clause 2. It sounds on par with Troll!
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblor du JourNow I truly do have to see Santa Clause 2. It sounds on par with Troll!
haha, that's true man. out of all these suggestions, santa clause 2 is the only one i'm considering checking out now. great review mod!
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Gamblor du JourI wish I had the unedited version with no cg black robed cock blockers.
i can provide you with some caps from that scene if you want.

Gamblour.

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Gamblor du JourI wish I had the unedited version with no cg black robed cock blockers.
i can provide you with some caps from that scene if you want.

That'd be great. In the name of science, I need to see what the MPAA didn't like (which I surely will like).
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

it's just sum energetic doggy and table top orgy-thons. i wouldn't call it titillating, but it goes a long way in improving the mood of the film, and the whole mansion sequence. sorry to temporarily hijack the thread mod. back to u..
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Gamblor du JourThat'd be great. In the name of science, I need to see what the MPAA didn't like (which I surely will like).

I hate to steal Mogwai's thunder and mess up Modern's thread, but you can check out the scene here in a video format.  

Regardless, I'm sure Mog's screen caps are much better quality.

mogwai

Quote from: PawbloeI hate to steal Mogwai's thunder and mess up Modern's thread, but you can check out the scene here in a video format.  

Regardless, I'm sure Mog's screen caps are much better quality.
first of all, i'm sorry to hijack modernage's thread and his favorite xmas movies. second, i've added the caps at this thread.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

modage

you've all sullied christmas's good name.  but i'll be back tonite to clean it up with another favorite of mine...

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02and when the first santa fell off a roof where did his wife go? did she disappear?  did the elves kill her?

Ha, that's hilarious!

Actually, I saw this one too (I liked the first one back in the day -- I watched it and Demon Knight back to back at the theater that day -- fun times). I actually thought it was good -- well, the parts with Tim Allen back in the real world were good, but I very much disliked everything that had to do with the North Pole, for the reasons you pointed out. But the scene where he takes the teacher on a date -- that was a good scene! Very Christmas-y!

modage

#17 :yabbse-thumbup: ONE OF MOD'S TOP FIVE CHRISTMAS MOVIES OF ALL TIME :yabbse-thumbup:

WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954)
The original idea was to reunite Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, as they had been successful in Holiday Inn (1942). Astaire refused, as he had "retired" at the time, so the part was reworked for Donald O'Connor. O'Connor pulled out, and the part was reworked for Danny Kaye.

this movie is great.  and every one of you PTA heads who has Singin' In The Rain in their collection and hasn't seen this should WATCH THIS IMMEDIATELY!  directed by the great Michael Curtiz (Casablanca, Adventures Of Robin Hood), this is two hours of great snappy dialogue, (between odd couple Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye who are hilarious in their roles), as well as song and dance numbers like the classic "sisters", "snow" and the big "white christmas" finale at the end.  its funny, its romantic, and its a great movie to watch right now.  its not even THAT focused on christmas with the exception of the song being placed in the movie twice, so its a good movie to watch even if you arent into christmas movies.  VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Ghostboy

Hey, I watched White Christmas with my family tonight. What a coincidence!