Christmas Movies

Started by modage, December 01, 2003, 08:20:18 AM

modage

SCROOGE (1970)
Albert Finney was only 33 years old when he played the role of Ebenezer Scrooge.

had never seen this one before either, and i thought it was okay.  Albert Finney was good as Scrooge but unfortunately it was about 20 minutes too long and the songs werent all that memorable.  it was a musical and sometimes the numbers tended to drag.  in the opening some of the camera movement seemed to be a little odd, and therefore noticable.  but there were some good moments.  it is Charles Dickens.  however the ending where Scrooge puts on the santa suit and leads the entire town in a giant like 12 minute opus of a song and dance number was more than a little silly. still, with its flaws it was still a pretty good adaptation of the book.  (although there are still a few i need to see.)  my favorite is probably Mickeys Christmas Carol, but the George C. Scott one is up next.  ill see if thats any better.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

The very best one, and the only one I catch perenially, is the one with Alastair Sim from 1951, but I have a fondness for that musical version too (and the George C. Scott one, and also the Muppet version).

modage

yeah my grandad has the alastair sim one, (which i've also never seen), AND i've never seen the muppet one which i was just talking about this week.  maybe ill hunt it down.  also, my dad prefers the George C. Scott one, so thats the one we have, although we did just pick up this Finney one.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I've just now gone back and looked through the rest of this thread. Man, the memories.

My dad took me to see Prancer when it was in theaters, the first year we moved to Texas. My reaction was about similar to the ones posted. I loved Home Alone 1 and 2 with a passion, and for a few weeks put buckets of water at the top of the door (I got my sister good once). The Mickey's Christmas Carol still brings tears to my eyes -- they used to (or perhaps still do) show it on TV with another short about Goofy going skiing, and one with Donald Duck too (he made a battleship out of ice, but I don't remember much other than that). Of course, Nightmare Before Christmas (can you believe it's ten freaking years old? We're all OLLLLDDD!!!) is a classic now too.

I love Christmas. Reading this thread is the first hint of Christmas spirit I've felt all year.

Gloria

Quote from: Ghostboythe George C. Scott one, and also the Muppet version).

I also enjoyed these two.  In the muppets, when the rats sing "This my island under the sun"  I laugh every time. George C. Scott always scared me after watching him as Scrooge, and I don't know why.  I havent seen the Albert Finney one.

Quote from: GhostboyI love Christmas. Reading this thread is the first hint of Christmas spirit I've felt all year.

Thats awesome!  I felt all Christmasy just reading that.....

modage

SCROOGED (1988)
Bill Murray=Funny.

now we're getting into some good stuff.  i love this movie and can still remember my parents taking me to the theatre to see it when i was 7 years old.  its not always a good thing when classics are 'updated' but this is an instance where i think it can stand on its own as a good modern/80s twist on A Christmas Carol.  Bill Murray is hilarious as Frank Cross, the Scrooge-like character who is the president of a television station that needs some christmas spirit.  so he gets visited by the three ghosts and sees the error of his ways.  along the way theres a whole bunch of great lines for Murray, as well as a great Danny Elfman score.  and the scrooge promo at the beginning of the film is hilarious too.  for anyone who's seen this, do you have any favorite scenes to share?  and if you've never seen it, you should do so.

Gloria

Quote from: themodernage02and if you've never seen it, you should do so.

I need to find a new rental place, because the one I go to doesn't even carry this movie!  I have always wanted to see it......also, hasn't it been on TV a couple of times?  I hope they run it this year so I can see it.

modage

DONT WATCH IT ON TV!  the scrooge commercial at the beginning has been completely edited out, (and is like i mentioned one of the highlights of the film!)  along with some other dialogue thats been 'cleaned up'.  you should really get a new rental place and SEE THIS MOVIE! its a good one.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02now we're getting into some good stuff.

It's about time!  :yabbse-wink:

This is one of my faves. Murray is the perfect Scrooge.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

coopxr

Hands Down, Best Holiday movie of all time is Eight Crazy Nights.

Pubrick

Quote from: coopxrHands Down, Best Holiday movie of all time is Eight Crazy Nights.
hey, u must be like an adam sandler fan or sumthin.
under the paving stones.

molly

any movie with a happy ending and nice music will do for me around christmas, with or without the usual xmassy characters and snow

bonanzataz

eight crazy nights was so awfully bad i wanted to puke. and i love adam sandler movies. i even loved mr. deeds and the waterboy.

i just got a bootleg of an obscure xmas movie from spain called "Santa Claus vs. Satan." can't wait to watch it. it looks hilarious.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

JINGLE ALL THE WAY (1996)
I'm not a pervert! I was just looking for a Turbo Man doll!

this movie is another case of good bad.  if you've never seen it, try to picture ahnuld in his thick austrian accent playing a 'regular dad' type and you begin to open the door to the hilarious possiblilities contained herein.  i cant imagine whoever sat down to write the script had anybody like Arnold in mind for this part, but his casting has made the movie into something pretty funny it might not've otherwise been.  although some of the best scenes belong to Phil Hartman as an annoying single neighbor whos trying to get close to Arnolds wife.  "You can't bench press your way out of this one."  also, the movie seems to have a somewhat new idea in presenting another side to the christmas season; which is the sometimes manic shopping that goes on and most people can relate to.  i remember a buncha years back when Power Rangers came out and i had to find one for my brother when they were NOWHERE to be found.  so by taking a more modern occurance and adding the John Hughsian touch of piling bad situations on top of worse ones, you get this gem of holiday cheese.