Christmas Movies

Started by modage, December 01, 2003, 08:20:18 AM

Sunrise

Eye's Wide Shut has been mentioned before but it really can't be mentioned enough.

Two more Christmas favorites: Brazil and My Night at Maud's

Gamblour.

This is weird, I could've sworn that I've talked about movies set at Christmastime not about Christmas. Sunrise just listed some great ones.

Die Hard is a favorite, so is Gremlins. Hudsucker Proxy.

But in terms of Christmas films, avoid Black Christmas. It's not even "so bad it's good" bad. Just stupid. I'm talking about the remake.
WWPTAD?

modage

I came here to admit something:

I think Brett Ratner's The Family Man is probably my favorite Christmas Movie of the last decade. 

There, I said it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gloria

Quote from: modage on December 07, 2010, 09:10:50 PM
I think Brett Ratner's The Family Man is probably my favorite Christmas Movie of the last decade. 

Awww, I think it's an underrated film!  I hope you feel like a weight has been lifted.  :yabbse-wink:

However, my favorite Christmas movie from the last decade would have to be Love Actually....or maybe Elf.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

I gotta go with Love, Actually if we're talking last 10 years. It's delightful.

Now if we're talking all-time, then it's Die Hard.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

I'm with Stefen. Definitely 'Die Hard'
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

One of my favorite Chicago institutions, The Music Box, a great revival theater (though sometimes they get into a glut of just reviving Rocky Horror, The Room, Repo and otherwise predictable fare (obviously their biggest nights, so they need the money, it's forgivable)) are doing a Christmas movie night on Christmas of Die Hard and Gremlins.  Die Hard has been recognized, but let's not overlook the beauty of Gremlins as a Christmas movie.  Unless it's already been suggested in the past 9 pages.  If so, I apologize for being redundant.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Champion Souza

My favorite Christmas movie of the past few years is Cooper's Camera.  It stars Samantha Bee and Jason Jones from The Daily Show.  It didn't get a proper release and is just a take on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  But I enjoyed it very much.

Tictacbk

Muppet Christmas Carol all the way.

Reel

I watched some of Scrooge today. Man, those first scenes with the ghost were scary as hell to me! It's funny, I've been exposed to that image of the white ghost wrapped in chains my whole life, because of all the inevitable copies of that (usually for comic effect) but seeing the real thing struck a cord with me. The rest of the movie got kinda boring, if there's any more cool ghost stuff lemme know.

mogwai

I watched Lethal Weapon last saturday but it's more action than involving any sentimental christmas message. But Scrooge and Christmas Vacation is still hands down two of the movies I'd chose to watch. Here in Sweden they usually air the five hour version of Fanny and Alexander during the holiday. Don't really understand it though, some swedes love to have anxiety to be happy. :wink: Not to through dirt at the movie which I see as a masterpiece.

some awesome holiday shorts for you guys! merry krampus!!

Treevenge:

-
SANTA:

-
Zombie Holiday instructional video:

-
Black Santas Revenge:

-
My name is Kris Kringle:

-
The Winter Stalker: