Christmas Movies

Started by modage, December 01, 2003, 08:20:18 AM

modage

i'm starting this thread because over the course of the next month i will be watching about 20 christmas type movies so i thought after each one i'll write in with a little something and anyone else who wants to comment about that film, please do.  it might be good inspiration for everyone to get in the holiday spirit a little as well and watch/re-watch a few of the good ones.

1st up on the Holiday Extravaganza...

A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993)
Tim Burton has said the original poem was inspired after seeing Halloween merchandise display in a store being taken down and replaced by a Christmas display. The juxtposition of ghouls and goblins with Santa and his reindeer sparked his imagination.

i can still remember going to see this in the theatre when it came out and just having rabidly anticipating it.  at this point tim burton was the greatest guy making movies for me.  he was on a string of awesome: Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, and then this was "Tim Burtons..." after all (and being 11 years old, i didnt know he didnt direct it at the time.)  anyways, i remember liking this movie and thinking it was really cool looking but being a little offput by the dreary neverending score.  
    over the last decade having revisited the fim a number of times, i find that the movie as well as the score has really grown on me and now i can really appreciate it for how different it is.  the songs are really memorable and the animation is really really incredible.  one of the only problems for me now is when to watch it.  halloween or christmas?  probably the best time i guess is in between: november (like when it was released).   so that's why after Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, this is first on Christmas Movies that have to be watched.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Great idea.

Does anyone know the title of a christmas movie where the boy in it gets a BB Gun for Christmas and goes off shooting in the snow and a icicle falls from the rooftop and nearly blinds him? It kind of felt like a feature-length, christmas Wonder Years. I remeber staying up past midnight one christmas eve watching it on a tiny black and white tv, I'd really like to see if I could get hold of a DVD.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

molly

I like that christmassy music in those movies. I really feel like I'm a little girl again.

Gloria

Quote from: SoNowThenA Christmas Story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

In my opinion, that is the best Christmas movie, hands down.
I also like The Santa Claus, Elf, and Christmas Vacation.  I admit....I even liked Jingle All the Way.  

I love Christmas specials as well:
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Muppet Family Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
Garfield Christmas (oooohh ahhhhhh)
The Tick Christmas episode

Sleuth

Christmas movies, especially A Christmas Story, make me feel like a real man.
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: Gloria

I also like The Santa Claus, Elf, and Christmas Vacation.  I admit....I even liked Jingle All the Way.

in my opinion as well, a christmas story is the greatest christmas movie ever, followed closely by christmas vacation.  but, thats why those are saved for christmas eve and christmas eve eve. dont feel bad i liked jingle all the way as well, and will get to that this month too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaI love Christmas specials as well:
Muppet Family Christmas
Frosty the Snowman

Not a fan of Charlie Brown?

Quote from: themodernage02

in my opinion as well, a christmas story is the greatest christmas movie ever, followed closely by christmas vacation.  but, thats why those are saved for christmas eve and christmas eve eve. dont feel bad i liked jingle all the way as well, and will get to that this month too.

Can you believe they attempted a sequel of sorts?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

I too love Charlie Brown and Christmas Vacation...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Quote from: MacGuffin
Muppet Family Christmas
Frosty the Snowman

Quote from: themodernage02

Can you believe they attempted a sequel of sorts?

I actually saw that on Comedy Central a long time ago.  The only returning actor was the teacher
I like to hug dogs

modage

any opinions on Nightmare Before Christmas? (before we get too ahead of ourselves!  we dont want to spoil christmas, do we?!?)

SoNowThen

yeah, that flick's great as well

but it's so even Halloween / Christmas split, I dunno if I can call it a pure Xmas movie...

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffin
Muppet Family Christmas
Frosty the Snowman

I can't believe I completely forgot about Charlie Brown. Yes, I like Charlie Brown, but I forgot to add him to my list.   My humblest apologies.

aclockworkjj