Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02i'd like to see some more, anyone have any suggestions?

older stuff
Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon
The Haunting (the original)
The Innocents

70s stuff

The Changeling (underrated, spooky, cerebral haunted house flick)
Burnt Offerings (a bit cheesey, but some great shocks)
The Sentinel (a bit too over the top, but, again, some great shocks)

Completely obscure 70s ripoff of Night of the Living Dead that's worth a look and a laugh if you can find it

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things*

*-Directed by Bob Clark, who directed Porky's, A Christmas Story and Baby Geniuses.

modage

Quote from: Find Your MagaliThe Haunting (the original)

so funny, the haunting is on its way from netflix as we speak.  and the changeling is on the queue as well (at my dads recommendation.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

prophet

can someone tell me the scarryest movie ever that will scare the crap out of me i havent been scare by a horror film lately.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Find Your MagaliThe Haunting (the original)

so funny, the haunting is on its way from netflix as we speak.  and the changeling is on the queue as well (at my dads recommendation.)

You will love them both. I envy you.

Quote from: prophetcan someone tell me the scarryest movie ever that will scare the crap out of me i havent been scare by a horror film lately.

Any answer would depend partially on what part of the horror genre you prefer: quiet, psychological films; classics; gory slasher flicks; very recent stuff.

Also, it depends on what you've seen.

So, what kind of horror films do you like? I'll try to make a recommendation from there.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: prophetcan someone tell me the scarryest movie ever that will scare the crap out of me i havent been scare by a horror film lately.

I just saw 'The Eye,' which had me screaming "holy shit!" at a couple parts.  But sadly, the movie loses it's momentum in the 3rd act for a Scooby-Doo resolution.  But it does have a kick ass ending.

***beady***

Really scary?

The original of 'The Ring', the japanese version.....fucked up and very scary.

'Event Horizon' always gets me scared.

modage

check macguffins list on the first page of this thread, or my dad, (big horror movie fan), just made a list of 31 great movies to watch during the halloween season.  you can check out his list here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02my dad, (big horror movie fan), just made a list of 31 great movies to watch during the halloween season.  you can check out his list here.

Fantastically good list!  :-D

Two more I thought of ...

In fact, two films that have two titles each

Black Sunday (aka The Mask of Satan)

Quatermass and the Pit (aka Five Million Years to Earth)

Mesh

Quote from: ewardthat part in suspiria where the girl falls and gets stuck behind all that wire on the floor freaks me out every time i see it.....

Boo!

modage

i always wondered what that was from and the other night when that scene came on i was like "MESH!"  and everything made sense.

samuelclemens

IT scared the crap out of me when i was younger.  i  don't know if it would now, but anytime i'm around clowns (and it happens often) i'm always watching their every move...we all know that clowns are  :twisted:
Stupid babies need the most attention!

modage

Amityville: With 'Texas' and 'Body Snatchers' being redone, expect some other famed horror classics to undergo a renovation including this 70's family in a haunted house classic. Much like 'Texas' this spawned numerous poorly received sequels, the story is based on previous material (in this case a book), and now according to Creature Corner it seems that MGM is in negotiations to develop a remake of the first movie. The studio owns the rights to the film series, however there's legal problems that have to be sorted out first as this incarnation wants to remain more faithful to the book - no cast or crew is onboard yet. This is also not to be confused with the rumoured sequel talk involving George Romero which sprung up earlier this year. Admittedly the original wasn't exactly a cinematic classic and there's definitely room for a remake, it does however make one wonder what other reduxes may be in the works (if they touch "Poltergeist", "Halloween" or "A Nightmare on Elm St" I'm outta here) .

modage

wow...

Dutch director Richard Raaphorst (he made the title sequence of Beyond Reanimator) is making a hardcore zombie-flick called 'WORST CASE SCENARIO' based on the book 'Woensdag Gehaktdag (Wednesday Meatday; The Only good german is a living german). The plot is simple; The Dutch and The Germans heve been on bad foot since WW2 (in real life) in the movie it's escalating and people want it to be fought out and the best way to do so (obviously) is to revive dead GERMAN NAZI ZOMBIES and DUTCH WHITE TRAILERTRASH ZOMBIES and let them have the ultimate faceoff. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true and it's coming in december 2004. Hardcore horror mixed with dark humor is how Dutch newspaper 'De Telegraaf' described it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Saw What You Did: Warners may be remaking this old William Castle flick.

MacGuffin

The Amityville Horror Getting the Remake Treatment
Source: Variety

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller have been tapped by MGM to mount a remake of the 1979 hit The Amityville Horror.

The Jay Anson book on which the original was based purported that the residents of a tree-lined home in a Long Island suburb were terrorized by a haunted house. The home had been inhabited previously by a disturbed young man who murdered his family. The film became a bit hit and hatched seven sequels.

Platinum has been courted by studios after the success of its Marcus Nispel-directed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Bay said the company is firming other projects, but it doesn't look like a sequel to its current hit will happen.

"We've heard from the rights holders on 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' that they want what Hillary Clinton earned for writing her book," Bay told Variety. "That simply isn't worth it to us."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

for anyone who is still interested, here is my dad's list of 31 cool movies to watch during halloween...

http://www.calsmodels.com/column2oct.htm

i had put up a link before, but i think the traffic overloaded the site. so we moved it onto some real webspace.