on Love Of Cinema

Started by SoNowThen, September 10, 2003, 11:24:16 AM

Banky

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Banky
i totally agree and used to face similar dilemmas.  I would miss events to go see Matrix Reloaded the night before at the midnight showing ect. ect......I really just gave up and let go and now movies hold more weight over just about anything

Obviously not over your careful choosing of avatars ... god bless you

just trying to boost morale

Gold Trumpet

I guerss I'm going to have to defend myself. Its great that one wants to go and keep discovering new films and all, but SoNowThen, you getting frustated with me with posting negative reviews by Kauffmann goes against the position  I hold to many people here and you have accepted of me generally and what you are trying to do in learning more about cinema and art.

To explain, I discovered Stanley Kauffmann and realized he disliked prolly around 75% of the movies I liked. He disliked every Kubrick film from 2001: A Space Odyssey on and I was a Kubrick fanatic! I didn't mind this though because I saw more knowledge in his critiquing than anyone I had come across. As everyone knows, I seek out disagreeing opinions and with Kauffmann, figured I could learn the best from him. And my position here, frankly for most is someone that disagrees with what everyone else mostly likes. I'm fine with this position and you were too. I thought that was cool.

Its great you want to know more about movies and discover art, but being disagreeable to hearing criticism is not the way the way to go about it. Its just watching movies and being upset when hearing any criticism about the films you like. People not willing to expand. Its your position if you don't want critique against Godard and think he is above it, but no one really is and everyone's taste evolves.

P.S. Kauffmann's critiques are not just knit picking. Explain why before saying that. You seem to want to avvoid even reading what he says.

~rougerum

ShanghaiOrange

The Gold Trumpet, that was the wrong thing to say.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeThe Gold Trumpet, that was the wrong thing to say.

I'll try to get it right someday.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I skipped every homecoming and prom, and chances are I was at a movie instead. Wasn't too much into the high school social scene.

Banky, your avatars boost my morale daily. Good job.

Banky

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenAs we grow older and are forced to enter the "real world", I find that the 20-somethings around me yearn for financial success, families, security, whatever. All I want right now is to be exposed to more films, more art, more music, more literature. And yet I can't even find the time to fucking fully appreciate and take in the shit I'm on now, AND accomplish what I need to in terms of making my own movies and writing and music.

I think what other people get in terms of the anxiety in realizing that they will one day die, I get when I think of all the movies I could be watching right now. I don't care about my mortality, I care about my entertainment.

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...........

That is me 110%. Except replace "music" with "more films". And I do care about my morality, but I want my life to be the entertainment I care about. Nothing more. Nothing less.

luctruff

A love of cinema should never be a shameful thing...it's like a new reality...if you're watching a good film, it can put a lot of situations in your life into perspective; and that's where the love is.....filmmakers are the reigning artists, i think, in this world, it's a step above and it can really show completely how they view the world and how they think of the world in every aspect....passion makes the world go round, so it's a great thing to have such passion for such a meaningful medium....
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI guerss I'm going to have to defend myself. Its great that one wants to go and keep discovering new films and all, but SoNowThen, you getting frustated with me with posting negative reviews by Kauffmann goes against the position  I hold to many people here and you have accepted of me generally and what you are trying to do in learning more about cinema and art.

To explain, I discovered Stanley Kauffmann and realized he disliked prolly around 75% of the movies I liked. He disliked every Kubrick film from 2001: A Space Odyssey on and I was a Kubrick fanatic! I didn't mind this though because I saw more knowledge in his critiquing than anyone I had come across. As everyone knows, I seek out disagreeing opinions and with Kauffmann, figured I could learn the best from him. And my position here, frankly for most is someone that disagrees with what everyone else mostly likes. I'm fine with this position and you were too. I thought that was cool.

Its great you want to know more about movies and discover art, but being disagreeable to hearing criticism is not the way the way to go about it. Its just watching movies and being upset when hearing any criticism about the films you like. People not willing to expand. Its your position if you don't want critique against Godard and think he is above it, but no one really is and everyone's taste evolves.

P.S. Kauffmann's critiques are not just knit picking. Explain why before saying that. You seem to want to avvoid even reading what he says.

~rougerum

You're missing my point GT. What I'm saying is that I'm so into certain movies right now, that the movie worlds I'm watching become just as real or more real than the world I live in. That is, that I become totally immersed in them, and just observe. There's nothing that "doesn't work" for me, because I take the entirety of the film as realistic truth (in context of the movie -- it could be total fantasy, like LOTR, but I can be on board with THAT world). Kaufmann's criticisms are as if someone looked out the same window as me, and said "the sky doesn't work as blue, it should be neon yellow.... and those birds flying there are laughable, why wouldn't they fly somewhere else". Why not let it be and love it? That is getting me further than trying to be negative.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

You still aren't really learning anything. Kauffmann isn't out to be negative to destroy your fantasy because like any well thought out criticism, it gives a new view on understanding what you see better and learning more. Its fine you say you are becoming immersed in this world and living it almost, but just getting pissed at criticism of the movies is not the way to go on learning anything. Its just identifying you are looking at it through different eyes and refuse any criticism.

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYou still aren't really learning anything. Kauffmann isn't out to be negative to destroy your fantasy because like any well thought out criticism, it gives a new view on understanding what you see better and learning more. Its fine you say you are becoming immersed in this world and living it almost, but just getting pissed at criticism of the movies is not the way to go on learning anything. Its just identifying you are looking at it through different eyes and refuse any criticism.

~rougerum

In the same way, we shouldn't get pissed at Kevin Smith's criticism of "Magnolia." Instead, we should see what we can learn from Smith's opinions about PTA's film.  :wink:

SoNowThen

Let's leave it at this:

I love movies, and can decide for myself what I like/dislike about them. That is part of the fun of watching them.

I read critics and books and essays on films to help contextually: lots of writing tells how the person made the film, or under what conditions, or what influenced them, and makes attempts at categorizing certain parts of the process. I don't give two flying fucks if Stanley thinks Roma "lacks the mysticism of early Fellini", or whatever he said. If he can't enjoy Roma, it's HIS loss, not mine for not loving what he writes about it. See, his shit is the same as those dinks who thought that Fellini was "betraying communism and neorealism" from La Strada on. Heaven forbid someone can grow and change as an artist, and won't be pigeonholed by what you want them to be.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.