Odd Movie Recommendations

Started by ono, July 12, 2003, 05:35:51 PM

ono

I was just browsing around IMDB today, and came across the weirdest recommendation.

For Secretary (2002): Magnolia (1999).

WTF?

Oh yeah, and of course, for Magnolia: "If you liked this title, we also recommend: American Werewolf in London, An  (1981)."  :shock:

Silly computers.  I haven't seen AWiL, of course, but I can't see what werewolves have to do with a film like Magnolia.  Crazy stuff.  Sometimes, when a film is recommended, it's accurate, but obviously, these inaccuracies are more interesting.

Any more like this?  (Not just limited to IMDB, of course.)

modage

see American Werewolf in London.  its great.  dark, funny, groundbreaking special effects/makeup work. see here...
http://www.dvdhouseofhorror.com/metamorphosis.htm
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Horror isn't really my thing, though.  Question is, what, if anything, does it have to do with Magnolia?

bonanzataz

i love magnolia and i love american werewolf in london. there are lots more people like me that are going on imdb and giving magnolia a 10 and then giving AWiL 10, thus, the computer sees people that like magnolia as people that like AWiL. SEE?!?!?!!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ono

It's all clear to me now.  With that logic, I don't see how it could fail.  It's brilliant, I say!  BRILLIANT!

Find Your Magali

The recommendations for Boogie Nights include this (mostly) excellent but seemingly random collection of films:

The Godfather trilogy
The Big Lebowski
Falling Down
Mulholland Dr.
Rushmore
Terms of Endearment (?)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Catch Me If You Can
The Stunt Man

Other weird ones:

If you like Romero's Dawn of the Dead, go check out Dogma

If you like Andrew McCarthy in Mannequin, go check out The Hudsucker Proxy

If you like Donnie Darko, go check out Halloween H2O

ono

Quote from: Find Your MagaliThe recommendations for Boogie Nights include this (mostly) excellent but seemingly random collection of films:

The Godfather trilogy
Never go against the family.  Jack Horner is the Godfather.

QuoteThe Big Lebowski
Julianne Moore gets naked here and there.  And both are pretty musical.

QuoteFalling Down
Dirk Diggler falling down...

QuoteMulholland Dr.
Eh, I'm stumped there.

QuoteRushmore
HAHAHAHA!

QuoteTerms of Endearment (?)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Ppppfffft!

QuoteCatch Me If You Can
Catch Dirk When He ... Cums?

QuoteThe Stunt Man
Hehe.  Use your imagination.

Stretching those to fit was fun.

QuoteOther weird ones:

If you like Romero's Dawn of the Dead, go check out Dogma

If you like Andrew McCarthy in Mannequin, go check out The Hudsucker Proxy

If you like Donnie Darko, go check out Halloween H2O
Of those, I've only seen Donnie Darko and Dogma.  Heard H2O was horrible, so that's awful right there.