Best movie so far this decade?

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 04, 2003, 04:44:12 PM

Chest Rockwell

Lost in Translation is my favorite movie thus far of the new 'Willenium.'

Favorites for each year in no particular order:
2000 - Ghost World, Virgin Suicides, Traffic
2001 - Mulholland Dr., Man Who Wasn't There
2002 - Punch-Drunk Love, Adaptation, The Pianist
2003 - Lost in Translation!!, City of God (could also be put in 2002, I guess), 21 Grams, American Splendor, Triplets of Belleville, I forgot Kill Bill

2003 has thus far been my favorite year of the decade. I might add more as I remember them, and feel free to fix my years, because I haven't checked any of them.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWould you have that opinion without the knowledge that it might have been a pilot?
i dunno, thats a good question.  but i cant help but noticing it now.

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatthe lighting, i believe he's most likely speaking of...though it really fits the film...notice, the more bizarre the film gets, the less television like the lighting becomes...
yeah i agree with that.  when it goes off the deep end its less noticable (probably because more of that stuff was shot after it didnt get picked up).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

Quote from: ©bradWhy is it that the majority of discussion on this board seems to be people criticizing and complaining about movies rather than praising them? It seems that much of the discussion concentrates on the flaws (some of which are minor at best) of a film rather than what's good about it. I mean, I read some of the posts and I wonder why some of you even watch movies in the first place; you seem to hate everything about them. (no offense to anyone specifically)

yes yes yes yes yes!!!

i come here and read and most of the time i prefer not to say anything cause by the time i'm done reading these posts i'm already depressed to see so many people bashing so many different movies at the same time. there's no real analysis anymore. discussions here are starting to sound like from a 2 week screenwriting course or something. film is an artform, it shoudln't have so many rules about character developement and screenplay structure and appropiate visual techniques for this and that. I prefer to read what the movie meant to the person posting, how did it made them feel, than their opinion on the way it was shot...

©brad

hahah, i wrote that soooo long ago. look at the caps and the whininess of it all. ahhh, memories.

Chest Rockwell

I try to leave out sentiments like that. I generally judge a film based on how it affects me, which is why I'm so in-love with Lost in Translation: of all the films this year/decade, this one has affected me the most, followed by Mulholland Dr. But I guess when you're on an open forum on the internet, it's not too hard to find people bashing movies simply because they can and no one can stop them. Some people are just jerks.

Pubrick

Quote from: AlexandroI prefer to read what the movie meant to the person posting, how did it made them feel, than their opinion on the way it was shot...
thank u, alexandro, dude.

in an ideal place that is what i want to hear as well, that's the only the only thing that matters. when ppl just say "the acting was good, the lighting was bad"  that's seems to be enuff 99% of the time and it shouldn't be. i make a point to only review things if i can discuss what it meant, but often what i say is ignored because no one else is talking about the movie that way. refer to best recent example: 21 Grams.

Quote from: ©bradhahah, i wrote that soooo long ago. look at the caps and the whininess of it all. ahhh, memories.
haha newtron's reply was classic.
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

about the movies for this decade:

2000- SONGS FROM THE 2ND FLOOR
        REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
        AMORES PERROS
2001-A.I.
2002-GANGS OF NEW YORK
       THE TWO TOWERS
       PUNCH DRUNK LOVE
       SPIRITED AWAY
       CIDADE DE DEUS
2003-KILL BILL: VOLUME 1

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Prefer to best recent example: 21 Grams.

Most people read and replied to that review. I don't understand the problem. Most folks tend to listen to you, P. I'm generally ignored quite a bit, for whatever reason.

Pubrick

Quote from: Chest RockwellMost people read and replied to that review.
actually around a page of replies were for my final joke comment  on naomi's nipples.

only neon addressed the actual content of my two reviews.
under the paving stones.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: P
Quote from: Chest RockwellMost people read and replied to that review.
actually around a page of replies were for my final joke comment on naomi's nipples.

only neon addressed the actual content of my two reviews.

Well one must remember we're dealing with a bunch of semi-mature boys on the internet. Perhaps people would have replied to the review itself if you hadn't turned it into a funny post with a nipple joke at the end. Obviously most people would make some sort of joke off it rather than really replying to your review. I believe I myself stayed out of the whole thing.