Schindler's List. Who should have directed?

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 14, 2003, 06:14:56 PM

Gold Trumpet

Speilberg made Schindler's List but other directors like Martin Scorsese and Stanley Kubrick were at some point actually going to direct it themselves. Its an amazing question given the greatness of the people who have been attached to direct and it still was made into a great movie even if a better director could have made it. Given how good Schindler's List is, who do you still think would have been best to make the movie?

~rougerum

RegularKarate

Stanley Kubrick was going to direct The Aryan Papers, which was the same sort of thing but not exactly.

But in this sort of situation, I will always choose Kubrick.

Though, I must admit, I still haven't seen Schindler's list because  at this point I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.

bonanzataz

Quote from: RegularKarateThough, I must admit, I still haven't seen Schindler's list because  at this point I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.

Bite the bullet and rent the pan and scan video. It's still a great movie, even though I probably could never see it again.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

xerxes

Duck Sauce

Spielberg should have of course. This is the most depressing movie I have ever seen. It will be many many years before I even consider watching it again. It leaves me down for like a week.

Gold Trumpet

In the early 80s, Kubrick had the rights to the story of Oscar Schindler. It was in the early 90s that he had the rights to Wartime Lies, a novel that was to be made into Aryan Papers.

~rougerum

Jon

Derek

[quote="The Gold Trumpetand it still was made into a great movie even if a better director could have made it.
~rougerum[/quote]

Who is a better director than Spielberg?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

ReelHotGames

While I think Spielberg made a gem of a film, I think another director would have made their own verison of the events, and thus making a completely different movie.

Kubricks would have been slower, even more somber if you can get there, and completely unsentemental.

For my money I think Elia Kazan would have made a fine picture

And if you've seen the Pianist you know Polanski could hav done something startling

and don't forget the odd choices, I mean if Spielberg made such a picture how would have the Coen Brothers done it?

What about Savage Steve Holland? :wink:
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

modage

yeah i read that Billy Wilder wanted this to be his last picture but Spielberg wouldnt let him have it. it was going to be his masterpiecec. would have been "interesting" to put "the Wilder touch" on Schindlers List.  i also read that Spielberg offered Roman Polanski the chance to direct it (because of him surviving the Holocaust and all), but he turned it down and told Spielberg to do it.  it looks like everythingi turned out for the best though the way it happened. they both direct their masterpieces and walk away with Best Director oscars (as they dance and spit on Billy Wilders grave).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: michael alessandro

What about Savage Steve Holland? :wink:

ARGH!!!!! I hate when some one beats me to a obscure reference Joke

i was gonna put him when i read the post

godardian

I voted Kubrick.

Baz Luhrmann??!! Bah. He and Spielberg deserve each other.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardianI voted Kubrick.

Baz Luhrmann??!! Bah. He and Spielberg deserve each other.

i kind of like that you are not a baz fan

it shows slight signs of depth, not that baz is bad

the fact that you have a different opinion then what is  deemed cool

p.s i dont dig baz eighter

Keener

I am in no way a Spielberg fan but I thought he did a great job. The ending of List is as emotionally gripping as the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. Martin can do drama (The Last Tempation of Christ !) and of course, I love Kubrick. But this is one of those things I think is good as is and needs no fix.

I'm not familiar with Baz Lhurman or Darren Aronofsky and I assume that is a bad thing so I'll try them out if you guys will give me some titles.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama