underrated pop music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 04:06:39 PM

phil marlowe

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: phil marlowewhatever, cry me a river is pure magic. all you hipsters go back and sob to your belle and sebatian records.
ha, that's such a easy choice for me.
boo!!!

Pubrick

cry me a river = best pop song by a white man last year.
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pcry me a river = best pop song by a white man last year.

That may be but,

> Justin Timberlake.

NEON MERCURY

..matthew mcconnel-??......could  be cast as bolton if lifetime network decided to make a tv movie about his like and times of a baller....

Sleuth

I like that Britney Spears song "Toxic" :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  8)
I like to hug dogs

pete

I enjoyed fastball a lot.  they were pretty catchy and the lead singer had the elvis costello soundalike thing going for them.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatwad

has anybody seen this video? My friend told me to check it out, but i have been lazy. Is it really much different then her other videos?

Sleuth

Quote from: meatwadhas anybody seen this video? My friend told me to check it out, but i have been lazy. Is it really much different then her other videos?

Yeah, I was watching MTV for some reason right now and that's where I heard/saw it.  The video is pretty fucking stupid.
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

the video is only good for the split second we see her ass pushing the trolley at the beginning.

after that u can turn it off.
under the paving stones.

Pedro

can't believe i didn't mention this earlier

dexter freebish...they had one mild VH1y hit with "leaving down", but they wrote some of the coolest pop-rock to come out of a studio in a while.  i really dig them, but i haven't heard the new album, so i cant comment on that.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sloyj
Quote from: meatwadhas anybody seen this video? My friend told me to check it out, but i have been lazy. Is it really much different then her other videos?

Yeah, I was watching MTV for some reason right now and that's where I heard/saw it.  The video is pretty fucking stupid.

What do expect when it's directed by the worst video director of all time (Joseph Kahn)? It's Britney wishing she was "Alias".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weird. Oh

I think that people's perception of what pop is, can be very distorted at times. Pop done right can be great. In the 50's  with the advent of pop culture booming because of new mediums helped define what is pop music.
   Each decade had changing defintion of what pop music was and in retrospect it changes. For instance, The Beatles in the 60's were not pop music at all. Popular music at that time did not emphasize guitar and rhythym like the Beatles did . You did have your Chuck berry's and Buddy Holly (a little before the 60's) utilizing the style the Beatles adopted but by no means was it Pop music at that time. Now in retrospect the Beatles seem pop by today's standard because their sound has become integrated in Popular music.
    Now by those standards I think pop music and popular music are two completely diffferent entities. Pop music is easily accessible because of stable melody and rhythym.
    I personally think most popular "music" of today really sucks. I hate Hip-hop and rap and see it as another mediocre fad. Pop "punk" bands and crap like that have diluted music immensely. There are good popular bands out there like Radiohead but they aren't really that popular in the scheme of things.
    I like a lot of ___-pop bands. indie, alt and pop rock. Bands like Grandaddy, Apples in Stereo, Fountains Of Wayne, Fastball, Collective Soul and so on. A lot of great pop of old like hall and oates, elton john, billy joel, Beach Boys any motown stuff. I
    I don't limit myself to that though. I like anything ranging from Zep to Nirvana to the Beatles to indie bands. I think to really get a grasp and love for music you have to explore a wide variety of it.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

phil marlowe

^ good post there...exept the dismissing of the entire rap genre that was stupid

alot of pop music today is in fact building on a variety of old jazz standards. WOW HUH? POP MUSIC IS SO COOL NOW

Pas

People really like Stacey's Mom ? I tought it was the kind of song that execs are just pushing really really hard. It seems like a lame pop song to me.

I like the new pop like Jet and stuff...The Hives and so on.

modage

Quote from: Pas RapportPeople really like Stacey's Mom ? I tought it was the kind of song that execs are just pushing really really hard. It seems like a lame pop song to me.
fountains of wayne are great, see more here...
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2041

stacys mom is a song that got way huge, but isnt really representative of the whole band.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.