Provocative movies

Started by Robyn, October 06, 2011, 01:31:08 PM

Robyn

What is a provocative movie for you? What are the most provocative (but good) films you've seen? Other opinions?

In generell, I think that provocations in movies is something positive. If there is a underlying idea behind it and made good I think it's the most effective way to make a point. It can also start some interesting discussions, which always is a good thing.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Robyn

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

are you trying to say something with that picture? is there some deep meaning behind this grand provocation? is this you're way of saying that i'm a dumbass?

I feel provoked... and raped.

Reel

Todd Solondz films are the most provocative to me, especially Storytelling.

squints

Ok. Whats the point of this thread? People make some lists of movies they find "provocative" and the thread dies after two pages. Here's an idea. Talk about how provocative a movie is in the thread dedicated entirely to that movie/director/actor?

I dunno. I might just be being a total dick but i don't see the point.

Nothing personal KJ.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on October 06, 2011, 02:30:24 PM
Todd Solondz films are the most provocative to me, especially Storytelling.

Have you seen Palindromes?

Solondz would probably be my choice too.

LVT would also belong on this list, but obviously he's about much more than provoking.

ono

Robyn

Quote from: squints on October 06, 2011, 02:35:41 PM
Ok. Whats the point of this thread? People make some lists of movies they find "provocative" and the thread dies after two pages. Here's an idea. Talk about how provocative a movie is in the thread dedicated entirely to that movie/director/actor?

I dunno. I might just be being a total dick but i don't see the point.

Nothing personal KJ.

You're not being a total dick, it's just me that didn't made my self clear enough. The point of this thread is not just to list some provocative films, but to discuss provocations in movies in generell. At least I found the subject interesting and if you don't do that then you could found another thread that would be more meaningfull for you to read/write in.

polkablues

I've elsewhere discussed my thoughts on A Serbian Film, which I still feel is one of the finest examples of a movie provoking for the sake of being provocative, and that being the actual point of the film rather than a detraction.  I don't buy the political correlations the filmmakers have tried to make in interviews, but regardless, it makes a much stronger point as a meta-commentary on the intersection of sex and violence in cinema.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

I say this thread gets locked for KarlJan's grammar alone.

( j/k, I didnt mean that KJ )

Sleepless

I'm generally not into the kind of films like A Serbian Movie, etc, but I do remember seeing Baise-Moi at my local art house back in the day. That may be the kind of thing you're looking for.

Clearly provocative means different things to different people. Give us an example to kick off the discussion and at least then we'll have some context to work with.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.