BOND... JAMES BOND!

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 06, 2003, 03:38:01 PM

Redlum

Die another day made me want vommit. It was like an episode of Dr Who.

The Living Daylights is my favourite, because if I watch the opening credits, AHA's song plays in my head repeatedly until the jeep is launched out of the back of the plane. And the Cello skiiing.

Also On her majesty's secret service was decent.

Least favourite bond....Roger Moore.

Picture all the other Bonds trying to pull this look off. Pretty un-bond.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

budgie

Roger Moore... but at the time, we really didn't notice.

Goldfinger, Pussy, Connery all the way. Bond saves the world from mad Germans, communists and lesbians. Far from mindless; rather, the most entertaining piece of propaganda ever.

I love Bond films, they're very rich. But the fantasy doesn't work anymore, so I think it's lost currency.

Martinis remind me of my childhood. Parties with my parents wearing lots of polyester. Long dresses, shirt frills and velvet bow ties. Sausages on sticks.

Pineapple chunks.

Sleeping with my brothers.

The aftermath.

Gold Trumpet

I love Bond myself, but they have become tiresome as of late. Brosnan's last good one was Tomorrow Never Dies. All the ones he has been in since then have been cop out to big explosion action movies. Tomorrow Never Dies had some fun and a great car chase with Bond driving from the backseat.

Connery made the best of the Bond, but my personal fave is The Spy Who Loved Me. Least fave Bond likely has to be Dalton. He looked too rough and normal for Bond. Moore can pull it off, but needs a good movie. He just made the worst of the worst for a while. Brosnan is also getting cheated out of Bond glory due to the crap ones he's been in.

I'm wondering who'll be the next Bond......

~rougerum

Pwaybloe

They've offered the part to me, and I just don't want to make any rash decisions right now.  

But, hey, if you think about, it's a paycheck.

MacGuffin

Bond 21: Wild Rumour #2 - first Mariah Carey was rumoured to be doing the opening song, now The Z Review reports that Eminem is being talked about for both the number and a role.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Scottish newspaper The Daily Record is reporting that despite all the official denials and speculation, "Gosford Park"/"Croupier" star Clive Owen will be revealed to be taking on the 007 role late next year. "At a Press conference at Pinewood Studios in January or February 2004, Pierce Brosnan will reveal his last outing as 007 will be Bond 21, to be made next year and released in 2005. And for the first time, the new James Bond will be unveiled at the same time. We can reveal that Clive will take on the mantle in the Bond 22 which will be filmed in 2006 and shown in 2007". Not only do they indicate that Clive is in fact Pierce's recommendation to Producer Libby Broccoli, but their inside source also says "Clive's the one. There have been rumours about Clive, but these rumours are getting louder and louder now. No one at the top will come out and admit it, but the claims it's Clive are coming from different sources within Eon who make the Bond films...He's not hugely known, but has done some good films and is at least a name people recognise. Most of the other names mooted (eg. Ewan McGregor, Dougray Scott, Ralph Fiennes) are already known actors so could never be Bond. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan were both known actors, but not hugely famous when they took on 007 and they are the best".

More here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

The more I think about it, the more I think Sean Connery wasn't even a good Bond. He just got the spoils in getting all the best Bonds. Connery has the look, but the sauve and charisma I think he lacks. I'm comparing him more to the attributes of Brosnan and Brosnan has a lot more charisma. Connery was acting way too much in model form back then - overly good looking and hiding poverty in acting by staring a lot and keeping cool as possible. Connery was young then and not able to develop into a good actor - which he did become later on. I watched Hunt for The Red October recently and was reminded of his solid acting. Brosnan though has the leading man charms and in my mind, best solidifies who Bond should be. Its just he only got 2 decent Bond films so far. Connery had all the best.

I'm not sure what to think of Clive Owen. I guess its worth a shot.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

If this happens, I will cease being a Bond fan:

Madonna granted a Licence to Kill
Source: Moviehole

Madonna could be set to star as the villain in a new female Bond movie. Now I’ve been hearing a lot about this writer/producer from London, Ben Trebilcook. He’s written a treatment for “Die Hard 4” and he’s also the man behind the long-in-the-works spy film “Semper Occultus”. Yesterday, we mentioned a rumour that Madonna might be in talks to star in the latter film. Today the man himself checked in to confirm there are talks to that affect. “To clarify yesterday's bite: Yes, I have sought Madonna and her company Maverick for assistance and yes, I did pen a role for her. It's a villainous role. One of two. The other baddie was written for Mr. Jason Statham, whose team I'm in close contact with. There are some very exciting prospects for this project and although slowly, it is heading towards a satisfying destination. I have already penned a treatment for a second adventure for Kelly Brook's character, Daisy Norton-Hall, which will probably be released in book form.”

For the uninitiated, “Semper Occultus” was first announced as a possible vehicle for popstress Geri Halliwell, and later Sean Connery.

Trebilcook’s “Die Hard 4” script is currently at WMA. He’s suggested both Kelly Brook and Sarah Chalke [“Scrubs”] for the part of Lucy McClane. Brook’s a favourite of Trebilcook’s apparently, he also suggested her for “Mission: Impossible 3”, when he was involved once upon a time.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

This wouldn't surprise me. Bond's fallen on hard times lately with its movies. Brosnan's really the very best Bond, but he's been given two good movies at best. I'm hoping the next one flops so they can restrategize the entire genre again and go for action films more like The Bourne Identity. I highly doubt it though.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffinMadonna could be set to star as the villain in a new female Bond movie. Now I’ve been hearing a lot about this writer/producer from London, Ben Trebilcook. He’s written a treatment for “Die Hard 4” and he’s also the man behind the long-in-the-works spy film “Semper Occultus”. Yesterday, we mentioned a rumour that Madonna might be in talks to star in the latter film.

*wipes brow*

I just reread this, and Madonna's not going to be in the next Bond film. Thank The Lord! The site I got the info from made it seem that way, and I just sped read it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

what's up with the (possible) rumors that pierce brosnan has been fired as agent 007? can anyone confirm this... mac? mini-mac? pubrick?

It's all about 007:  Everything or Nothing. Incredible production values.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: m©gwaiwhat's up with the (possible) rumors that pierce brosnan has been fired as agent 007?

Not true:

UK tabloids go one step further, claiming Brosnan has been `axed` by Bond producers in favour of a new `younger` actor.

The tabloid press have gone on the offensive against Brosnan in the latest unfounded rumours about his eventual succession. The latest claims, based on quotes from an unnamed source (as ever), report that Brosnan has been "axed" as Bond and the producers are searching for a "younger" actor to "re-energise the franchise and take it to even greater heights". The same report conflicts their own theory by mentioning Brosnan's "triumph" record breaking box-office in 2002 with the $400m takings for "Die Another Day".

It has been previously well reported that Brosnan will be starring in Bond 21, and he has been repeatedly quoted as saying he may also do a sixth. Speaking shortly before his 50th birthday in May 2003, Brosnan said: "I think we're good for a fifth. Barbara and Michael [producers] say they're happy to have me on board until I say no. But one has to be realistic about this. As for a sixth, it's a possibility."

As for his eventual successor, the tabloids claim that the process of casting who will play the sixth James Bond is in full swing. Casting speculation is rife among the tabloids, seemingly without any foundation. "It's like asking a bride as she's going up the aisle who her next husband is going to be," producer Barbara Broccoli said answering rumours of who will play Bond in early 2003, "I mean, he is James Bond. He's our guy. And until he's no longer James Bond, we ain't looking anywhere."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The `Brosnan Axed` rumours evolve into absurdity, fan opinion that it was an MGM PR stunt turns into news overnight.

Monday's Daily Mail claim that Pierce Brosnan has been axed as James Bond was proliferated throughout the world's media, with varying levels of hyperbole.

Now the rumour has evolved into absurdity, with claims that the news piece was simply an experiment to gauge public opinion on whether Brosnan is too old to carry on.

MGM and Eon Productions have yet to officially comment on the stories.

The new rumour stems from a fan posting on the alt.fan.james-bond internet newsgroup, who claims he spoke to "an old colleague who works with Debbie McWilliams in the EON casting department" and that "EON are waiting to gauge public reaction to the rumour before they publicise the news through an official channel".

This unconfirmed opinion has now been turned into fact overnight by various channels.

The Chinese whisper effect has certainly bred some interesting stories this week. Australian newspapers are now claiming Hugh Jackman has already signed on as Brosnan's replacement - despite earlier news that he has committed to his Wolverine X-Men franchise instead.

MI6 Rumour Rating: Don't believe anything you read on the matter unless it comes from MGM or Eon Productions.

There's also this sigh of relief:

MGM say no thanks as Britney Spears leaves meeting with the James Bond producers empty handed...

Britney Spears has left a meeting to discuss a potential role in Bond 21 empty handed, according to the latest reports.

The rumour of her meeting Bond producers in London seemed like pure tabloid fantasy, but according to E! Entertainment, the singer turned actress actually met the 007 chiefs recently.

"According to MGM, the meeting was at Spears' request, and the 007 producers agreed to attend as a courtesy."

"Spears left without a 007 deal and, besides, the next James Bond film does not yet have a script, a rep for MGM told E! on Wednesday."

Skeleton FilmWorks

SmellyBoobFungus

i actually thought Die Another Day had some potential in the beginning. the idea of a rogue bond is just titilating, but the story just flopped and halle berry really pissed me off for some reason, i really don't know why. i never bought halle berry as a secreat agent, i dunno, it was something in the way she ran. it just looked really fake and over exagerrated. what we need is more bourne identity kinda of movies.

i also heard something about executives wanted tarantino to write die another day. anyone else here this?
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected

molly

Quote from: NM(E) (- kidding)oh yeah the film i thought was well done also(in a -die hard- sort of way)Which brings me to the point of this post.

i think any Die Hard is better than any James Bond.