the decemberists

Started by tpfkabi, March 24, 2005, 10:12:58 PM

Gamblour.

My friend made me listen to every lyric of some song about two mariners trapped in a whale (reading this thread, I'm assuming it's Mariners Revenge Song) and man, that song was amazing. modage, how can you skip it? The story is just amazing, and it's a brilliantly written song (I want to say score, it's like they just scored the lyrics).
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

yeah, it's really good live.

if you like long epic songs, now you need to get a copy of The Tain.
it's a 15 minute song with 5 parts.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reinhold

i love any band that makes several barely-masked references to Dylan Thomas.

and they sound awesome.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

A Matter Of Chance

I saw them live here at the Avalon in Boston a few nights ago - it was a really great show. Halfway through 'The Chimbley Sweep' they all switched instruments and started playing 'Hava Nagila' - then they switched back and returned to the song. At one point Colin Meloy had everyone in the Avalon crouched down. I love this band.

Reinhold

all of my friends got to see them when i was stuck in NY. i'm seriously addicted to this band.

their lyrics are better than pretty much anything out there, their sound is relatively original, and their songs are epic.

picaresque is easily one of the best put together albums that i've ever heard.

infanta, 16 military wives, mariners revenge, and billy liar are usually in my head at the same time.  god, i love this band.

there is that weird r thing, but i think it adds to the band's style.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Reinhold

gonna go see them dec 5th in nyc.

edit:

i was on crack. i don't know waht the hell december 5th is, but i saw them some time earlier this month.

Figure 8

I saw them live at the Intonation Music Festival in Chicago and they did the whole thing with The Chimbley Sweep and having everyone crouch down also.  In The Mariner's Revenge Song they did a signal of waving their arms in a chomping motion to represent a whale (I don't know how else to describe it) and everyone had to scream.  It was thousands of people there for the last set of the festival.  It was amazing.

Reinhold

the thing they do at the beginning of Chimbley Sweep is a reference to the beginning of Under Milk Wood, by Dylan Thomas

Reinhold

all around an amazing show.

highlights were Picaresque opening and then some tracks off of the new EP, On The Bus Mall, Eli the Barrow Boy, and of course Mariner's Revenge.

they encored with Mr. Blue Sky by ELO

i shook colin's hand and the guitarist laughed at me and nodded when i yelled "elo rocks my body"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Reinhold Messner

they encored with Mr. Blue Sky by ELO

Too fucking cool.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Figure 8

I just saw them again on Sunday night.  The show ended up being kind of lame, but I think that was mostly from who I ended up seeing there (friends I really didn't want to see right then).  They had a really cool introduction where they played whale sounds and came out on stage hitting all this shit, and they played two unreleased tracks.  I didn't like their set list as much, though, and there were no surprises.  I think I probably just expected too much.  I did get to scream and lose my voice again with The Mariner's Revenge Song, though, and that was awesome.

A Matter Of Chance

I saw them on Columbus Day here is Boston, again. Awesome show - they covered 'I'm Sticking With You' by the Velvet Underground (not as cool as ELO), and they played the Tain - all around awesome. Chris Funk also came into the crowd and did a handstand during 'A Cautionary Tale.'

squints

remember what she does when you're asleep
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Figure 8

Quote from: A Matter Of Chancethey covered 'I'm Sticking With You' by the Velvet Underground (not as cool as ELO), and they played the Tain - all around awesome. Chris Funk also came into the crowd and did a handstand during 'A Cautionary Tale.'
You lucky bastard.

Jeremy Blackman

Okay, I just listened to one of the best albums I've heard in a long time.

Yes, I'm talking about the new concept story album from the Decemberists. I could go on and on about how great it is, but it's probably best to just download it and and enjoy it while reading the lyrics.

I haven't read any criticism of it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's already being called a masterpiece. It's certainly better than anything the Decemberists have ever done.