Only God Forgives

Started by HeywoodRFloyd, January 06, 2013, 12:06:54 AM

wilder

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on April 18, 2013, 01:04:43 PM
pretty excited, hope it's > drive.

Me too. Drive was weaksauce. I'm glad more people got exposed to him but Drive was like the 500 Days of Summer version of Bleeder. I was stoked for it, too. Anyway this thing looks good.

Pubrick

you mean to tell me every other movie he's made has been better than drive?

drive was good man.

but ok i'll steal his shit right this minute.

i never bothered before cos word around here is that Bronson was shit,.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

in la, drive is popular with kinda nonmovie people, for having archetypal characters, popular electronic music, sexiness. 'cause of its gosling. no prob. k :) car movie fans like it like they like bullitt, seven-ups, french connection, etc. mmmkay. sure :)

wilder

Quote from: Pubrick on April 18, 2013, 02:18:04 PM
you mean to tell me every other movie he's made has been better than drive?

i never bothered before cos word around here is that Bronson was shit,.

Bronson is the only movie of his I don't care for.

Compared to most studio movies, yeah, Drive is good. Compared to the rest of Refn's work it's a cartoon.

Watch The Pusher Trilogy, then Fear X (which is underrated as fuck), then Bleeder and Valhalla Rising. Valhalla is the most experimental, could turn you off to the others, which it's a massive stylistic departure from, if you watch it first, so make it last on your list.

The Pusher Trilogy, quality-wise, is like The Godfather trilogy in reverse. The sequels imo are as good as the first two Godfathers. The first Pusher is one hell of a ride as well, but doesn't have the depth of character that the other two do.

jenkins

pusher 1 was his first movie ever, at age 26. pusher 2 came 8 years later, for financial reasons. pusher 2 and 3 are def better, but i'm bringing this up 'cause i like pusher 1, think it's an impressive movie that's better than similar euro movies. idk

wilder

Agree completely, it's awesome. Even more awesome for his age.

But it's something when you watch the first one and have this super visceral, thrilling experience, then throw on the others expecting disappointment because sequels are almost never good and then you're blown away.

Pubrick I envy your ability to watch them all for the first time. I wish I could do that again. I was thinking about them for days and dayyyyssssssssssssssssssssss (years now)

Lottery

I actually really liked Drive. A little thin but it was tense and exciting, brutal, stylish, modern etc It's a movie I enjoy watching.

polkablues

Pusher trilogy was Refn's Boogie Nights. Drive is his Punch Drunk Love.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Just realized this was shot by Larry Smith (Eyes Wide Shut, Fear X). He was also the gaffer on The Shining and chief electrician on Barry Lyndon.

So there you go.

Lottery

Bunch of clips on youtube directly from the movie. Regret watching them. But it looks stunning, so much goodness for the eyes.

always loved refn. looks amazing. top five trailers of all time maybe. could be his best! maybe!

HeywoodRFloyd

I've got the most serious case of blue balls after watching this clip:

Lottery

Drenk

Ascension.

wilder

Editor and long-time Nicolas Winding Refn collaborator Mat Newman talks about directors in the editing room, the time he told Refn not to take on Drive and why he thinks editors should steer clear of the shoot.