noi albinoi

Started by pete, January 09, 2005, 11:38:27 PM

pete

I just caught this tonight when the local indie theater was playing the year's best films and whatnot.  This movie was so good.  It's as good as any awkward teenager film, with the quirks, the observations, the characters, the irony, and the love story.  But the film's ending totally elevated it and made it really beautiful and made an ass outta films like Ghost World and Donnie Darko.  And I liked Donnie Darko.  It's a beautiful beautiful film.  Plus it's got Jonathan Richaman's "Summer Feeling" in it.
Netflixers, rent it.  PTA recommended it last year.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

I don't know if it was the sentiment you wrote...the fact that it has "A summer Feeling" on it and you gotta love any film that uses a good Jonathan track properly (have you seen Basquiat? "Girlfirend" is used really neat in that one) or that PTA dug it....but something made me go and blind buy it straight from amazon.

I hadn't even heard of it...and I usually think I'm on top of this shit.

thanks for the recommendation.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Ghostboy

I totally forgot about this, but it is indeed a wonderful film (I saw it early last year).

I wouldn't really compare it to Donnie Darko, other than to acknowledge that they're both about quiet, angsty teenagers. This is much more along the lines of a Jim Jarmusch film -- or, more accurately, an Aki Kaurismaki film. If you like films by those two directors, you'll probably really like this.

pete

SPOILERRRRRRRRIFIC

well they're both kinda nihilistic teenagers and both their worlds collapsed on them in the end.
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

True, true, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of style.

Actually, I just thought of another Donnie Darko similarity. In the press kit for Noi, I remember the director saying that the character was originally sort of a super hero that he drew comic books about.

pete

Quote from: johnI don't know if it was the sentiment you wrote...the fact that it has "A summer Feeling" on it and you gotta love any film that uses a good Jonathan track properly (have you seen Basquiat? "Girlfirend" is used really neat in that one) or that PTA dug it....but something made me go and blind buy it straight from amazon.

I hadn't even heard of it...and I usually think I'm on top of this shit.

thanks for the recommendation.

I was walking around on thick ice today (freezing rain from friday) and I was listening to this new mix I made which had "New England" by Jonathan on it.  It made my morning so much better.  I must warn you though...this was a very subtle use of the song, it's not like a Wes/ PT Anderson setpiece or anything like that.
- Buster Keaton

kotte

Quote from: peteBut the film's ending totally elevated it and made it really beautiful...

I watched this last night.

I wasn't sure if I liked it 'till the end. You're right, the ending does elevate it...I didn't expect it at all, I don't know why...for me, when it happened, the tone changed radically and I felt like "oh, that's what the movie is about"...

Sigur Rós

I have it on dvd. It's been two years since the last time I saw it.
But I didn't really like it then. But the director Dagur Kári's new film 'Voksne Mennesker' premiers this friday in Denmark. It's a danish film and judging from the trailer it looks really funny.

analogzombie

Quote from: sigur rósdanish film ... looks really funny.

and sounds funny too.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Anonymous Joe

I rented this a few months ago at a local video store. I really loved it, great cast and directing.The way the director portrayed the simple subtiles of Noi's life reminded me of Wes Anderson's films. Did anyone else think the girl who played Noi's girlfriend was looked amazing? She definitely kept my attention.