Diary of a Country Priest?

Started by Ernie, January 03, 2004, 04:08:30 PM

Ernie

I wanna blind buy this, I don't have the money or anything but I still want to, I think it looks really cool. Tell me what you think of it or if you think it's a good blind buy. I love Truffaut, Godard, and De Sica and I'm getting into Herzog as well so foreign stuff doesn't scare me. I heard something about there being absolutely no music in this film though and that does scare me, I heard Bresson stripped it of any music whatsoever, is this true? Cause I'll definitely rent it if that's the case, music is like the only essential element of a film.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

godardian

Quote from: ebeamanI wanna blind buy this, I don't have the money or anything but I still want to, I think it looks really cool. Tell me what you think of it or if you think it's a good blind buy. I love Truffaut, Godard, and De Sica and I'm getting into Herzog as well so foreign stuff doesn't scare me. I heard something about there being absolutely no music in this film though and that does scare me, I heard Bresson stripped it of any music whatsoever, is this true? Cause I'll definitely rent it if that's the case, music is like the only essential element of a film.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

I love this movie, but it is very ascetic. Don't expect it to get your heart rate up or grab you by the lapels, or anything. What it gives is a sense of calm and contemplation and stillness. You need to be in the right mood to watch a Bresson film, and that mood is really similar to a Dreyer mood or a Tarkovsky mood, maybe a Bergman mood, definitely NOT a PTA or QT mood. Think of the sense of silence and space in a Bergman film; that's close to what a Bresson film feels like, and where the very spare use of music comes in. I think the use of music depends on what the filmmaker is going for; I can think of at LEAST as many instances of too much/too crappy music bringing a film down than the opposite.

Anyway, Country Priest is probably the most accessible of Bresson's really "Bressonian" films, of which it's the first.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeamanI wanna blind buy this, I don't have the money or anything but I still want to,
that hasn't stopped u before.

bresson is like kubrick without the music, actors, money, fame, and _|_. he did do sum ekzellent things with sound tho. his films are really the meditative sort. not really "exciting".
under the paving stones.

Ernie

Hmmm, you know I think I am going to rent this, thanks for the info you two. I'm not very familiar at all with Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Dreyer's work so I think I wanna wait on this one. I'm still interested in it, and Dreyer and Bergman too, I just don't want to take any big chances. Thanks for giving me a reason to go against my initial choice, maybe I'll have just enough money for the rest of Feb 3rd now, lol.

SoNowThen

Buy it. It's fucking class all the way.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Just finished watching it.  "Meditative" is the right word.  This is a film you have to pay a little extra attention to while watching, though.