Which magazines do you subscribe to?

Started by Stefen, March 17, 2004, 07:42:50 PM

Stefen

couldnt find a thread for this. I was thinking about subscribing to res. But it's pretty expensive. I just wanted to know what magazines you peeps subscribe to and your opinions on them so maybe I could get some suggestions and ideas. Any magazines will do. I primarily read entertainment stuff, art, video games, movies, music, stuff like that.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I don't really subscribe to american cinematographers, but I get it for free at the beginning of every month.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quote from: peteI don't really subscribe to american cinematographers, but I get it for free at the beginning of every month.

How is that magazine? Is it good? Or is it 99% ads on the latest lenses and what not?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

it's really really good.  I've learned so much.  And it covers a great spectrum of films, from no-budget to record breaking budget.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

El Duderino

i subscribe to rolling stone, entertainment weekly, and filmmaker, all worth the money
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I steal a Newsweek from my History teacher everytime it comes in.

Good stuff.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Thrindle

Vanity Fair... my monthly addiction...
Classic.

godardian

Quote from: ThrindleVanity Fair... my monthly addiction...

Me, too (they even published one of my letters to the editor!).

Also:

The New Yorker

Film Comment

Entertainment Weekly

Salon.com (yes, I'm a paid subscriber)

Rolling Stone (don't really know why anymore, but this is my longest-running sub)

New York Review of Books
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Entertainment Weekly
Premiere
Rolling Stone
Interview
Spin
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02Entertainment Weekly
Premiere
Rolling Stone

What my other half said.

Plus: Fade In
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Interview
Entertainment Weekly
Try to get around to reading The New Yorker every week online, although scrolling through magazines isn't particularly fun.
Damn, I need to re-subscribe to Filmmaker.

I used to get American Cinematographer through an old job, and it is indeed invaluable.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: godardianthey even published one of my letters to the editor!

What was the letter (and response if there was one)?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Thrindle

Quote from: godardianMe, too (they even published one of my letters to the editor!).

Highly impressed! There is some high quality writing in that magazine.  Which issue was your letter in????
Classic.

Kal

Premiere
Moviemaker
Wired News
Entertainment Weekly
Blender
Maxim
FHM
Business 2.0
Variety Weekly
Billboard

cine

Quote from: andykPremiere
Moviemaker
Wired News
Entertainment Weekly
Blender
Maxim
FHM
Business 2.0
Variety Weekly
Billboard
Good Lord. Who needs firewood when you've got magazine subscriptions?