Set in a Confined Space

Started by Reel, January 26, 2017, 05:08:19 PM

Reel

One of my favorite kinds of films are those set in very limited surroundings, like:

Rear Window
Dog Day Afternoon
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
The Hateful Eight
Panic Room
The Breakfast Club

Not necessarily intended to cause claustrophobia as much as putting forth a set of rules that are restricting them to this area for the given time. I think what makes them so compelling is that's what were doing whenever we sit down to watch a movie, making a commitment to stay in one place and see this story play out. So, when we're stuck in this setting, it creates a different kind of familiarity to the characters, since their surroundings are one less thing you have keep track of. Does anyone else find an extreme amount of comfort in this? They seem come the closest to making you feel actually feel like a fly on the wall in the drama playing out onscreen.

Jeremy Blackman

Recent example: 10 Cloverfield Lane.

An even better recent example: Room. Everyone must see this movie.

I saw Linklater's "Tape" in the theater. Not sure if the DV would hold up today, but I remember it being pretty great. Was engaged every second. It takes place in one hotel room. Based on a play.

Reel

I love 'Tape'! Didn't include it because I'm not sure how it holds up either, but definitely was on my mind when writing this. Will give a rewatch and let us all know, doesn't seeing movies shot on that old DV feel quaint? Like it was made with studio talent, but a film school crew. They were at the helm of this giant shift that's happened, now most films are shot on video.

I can't believe I still haven't seen 'Room', it's one of those movies that was so widely beloved, it's as if everyone else has already seen and liked it for me. Just your mention of it has moved it to the top of my list, I guess that's why I make these threads..

10 Cloverfield Lane is another that I've heard such frickin' great reviews of, but my dislike of the original has kept me away from it. Knowing it's set in one place is good, that means there will be a minimum of shaky cam.

I watched 'The Breakfast Club' the other day, still really love a lot of the dialogue and the characters, it's just got some major third act issues with everyone breaking down, crying and falling in love as if they were POW's when they spent like 4 hours together. Also, as a marijuana user I found it so entirely unrealistic when they spark up what amounts to be 5 joints and smoke them throughout the library when weren't they pissing their pants every time the teacher walked in the room before? It's going to stink for DAYS in there, that would not only get you detention, but suspension from the school indefinitely. If there had been some explanation behind why they suddenly decide to act so brazenly, basically saying "Fuck this school, let's all drop out together!" I could have appreciated it more. If they're not, have them go hide in some A/V closet like real kids would do. It also seems at the exact point they start getting high, the teacher is tipping back beers with the janitor and just never visits the room again! I found it funny he could be such an alcoholic that a few beers make him fuck off on his job and just let the kids destroy the library. There just aren't enough CONSEQUENCES in a movie that's supposed to be about PUNISHMENT, is what I'm getting at.

1:02 is when the movie loses any grasp it previously had on reality...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on February 11, 2017, 03:06:10 PMI love 'Tape'! Didn't include it because I'm not sure how it holds up either, but definitely was on my mind when writing this. Will give a rewatch and let us all know, doesn't seeing movies shot on that old DV feel quaint? Like it was made with studio talent, but a film school crew. They were at the helm of this giant shift that's happened, now most films are shot on video.

Totally. Tape is probably one of the worst-looking movies that's ever been released in theaters. (I watched the trailer.) And yet I still have fond memories of it.

Quote from: Reelist on February 11, 2017, 03:06:10 PM10 Cloverfield Lane is another that I've heard such frickin' great reviews of, but my dislike of the original has kept me away from it. Knowing it's set in one place is good, that means there will be a minimum of shaky cam.

The filmmaking bears basically no resemblance to Cloverfield. So don't worry about that.

Quote from: Reelist on February 11, 2017, 03:06:10 PMI can't believe I still haven't seen 'Room', it's one of those movies that was so widely beloved, it's as if everyone else has already seen and liked it for me. Just your mention of it has moved it to the top of my list, I guess that's why I make these threads..

If I can further entice you, here's a relevant tidbit from my review:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 07, 2016, 01:35:50 AMI'm truly surprised more people haven't been freaking out about Room. If you haven't seen it, I understand. I barely got around to watching it. The title is not great (although I wouldn't change it). The premise sounds like a slog. You might guess it's a bleak, brooding indie movie. But it is decidedly NOT. It's bright and intense. It's visually inventive and expressive in a way I did not expect. And it's a total masterpiece.

polkablues

There's a horror/thriller subgenre that I like to call escape-room movies that fits the definition of what you're talking about. The Cube movies, Fermat's Room, Exam, Circle, Unknown, etc. Of those, Fermat's Room is great twisty fun, Exam is solid, Circle is kind of goofy but not bad, and I honestly had to think about it for several minutes to be sure I've actually watched Unknown, because it left no impression on me whatsoever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on February 11, 2017, 03:06:10 PMI watched 'The Breakfast Club' the other day, still really love a lot of the dialogue and the characters, it's just got some major third act issues with everyone breaking down, crying and falling in love as if they were POW's when they spent like 4 hours together. Also, as a marijuana user I found it so entirely unrealistic when they spark up what amounts to be 5 joints and smoke them throughout the library when weren't they pissing their pants every time the teacher walked in the room before? It's going to stink for DAYS in there, that would not only get you detention, but suspension from the school indefinitely. If there had been some explanation behind why they suddenly decide to act so brazenly, basically saying "Fuck this school, let's all drop out together!" I could have appreciated it more. If they're not, have them go hide in some A/V closet like real kids would do. It also seems at the exact point they start getting high, the teacher is tipping back beers with the janitor and just never visits the room again! I found it funny he could be such an alcoholic that a few beers make him fuck off on his job and just let the kids destroy the library. There just aren't enough CONSEQUENCES in a movie that's supposed to be about PUNISHMENT, is what I'm getting at.

1:02 is when the movie loses any grasp it previously had on reality...

Fun trivia: Emilio Estevez actually had a cocaine cigarette in that scene.

Also, confederate flag at 0:20 and 0:45??? I guess if it's educational.