Box Office Guesstimations

Started by Banky, March 25, 2004, 08:36:12 PM

Kal

Quote from: Cinebunny
Quote from: andykman nobody was even close... what the hell happened with the new opennings... terrible
Um, I don't know about you, but its been well known since early March that the Passion would have a rebirth at the box office this weekend (oh, rebirth... I get it). Read past newspaper articles. This was predicted for a good while now.

Yep I read that... but I'm not surprised about The Passion making 17 mil... I'm surprised that all the others combined did nothing...

I had a feeling that The Alamo wouldnt do so good... they definetly picked a wrong time of the year to release it... but I did think that comedy would do better (Girl Next Door, Whole Ten Yards, etc)

modage

Quote from: andykJohnson Family Vacation  $9.2M  $11.6M  
i never even heard of this till friday when i saw an ad in the paper for it. where the hell did it come from?  (i dont really want to know, its rhetorical.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: andykJohnson Family Vacation  $9.2M  $11.6M  
i never even heard of this till friday when i saw an ad in the paper for it. where the hell did it come from?  (i dont really want to know, its rhetorical.)

It came from the minds that said, 'let's remake National Lampoon's Vacation...but with a Black family'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

right, '...but remember how that movie was funny?  lets NOT do that.'
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

What is incredible is that I didnt see ANY advertising ANYWHERE... not a single TV ad, magazine, review, online, NOTHING...

This is obviously the type of movie that these stupid families go to the theatre together and they say "hey, look at that, how funny... lets go in!"

BTW, any movie with Bow Wow should be destroyed

modage

the fact that THAT film, that nobody here had even HEARD of before friday had a bigger opening than the Alamo!  must be driving disney executives crazy right now.  its a staggering testament to the power of the 'urban audience'.

Stefen

This was an epic battle for good vs evil this weekend. I was really hoping hellboy would get the 1 spot over the easter weekend cause that would have been neat.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol. 2 Dominates the Box Office

Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol. 2, starring Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, and Daryl Hannah, dominated the box office this weekend earning an estimated $25.6 million from 2,971 theaters. The Miramax release averaged a strong $8,604 per site. The first film opened with $22 million last October, making this the biggest debut for a Tarantino film so far. It also ranks as the third-biggest April opening ever, surpassing Hellboy which made $23.2 million earlier this month.

Lions Gate's The Punisher took the second spot with $14 million from 2,649 theaters. The $33 million-budgeted comic book adaptation, starring Tom Jane, John Travolta, and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, averaged $5,285 per site.

Fox Searchlight's Johnson Family Vacation remained in the third spot adding $6.4 million from just 1,326 theaters. The comedy, which cost only $12 million to make, has collected $21.4 million in two weeks.

Columbia's Hellboy dropped two spots to fourth making $5.7 million in its third weekend. The $66 million Guillermo del Toro film has earned $50.4 million. Disney's Home on the Range rounded out the top five with $5.4 million for a three-week total of $37.7 million. Warner Bros.' Scooby-Doo: Monsters Unleashed garnered $5.1 million in its fourth week for a total of $72.2 million.

Mel Gibson's The Passion of The Christ dropped 72% from Easter weekend, adding $4.2 million. The $30 million Newmarket release has earned a massive $360.9 million, allowing it to climb to the 7th spot on the all-time domestic blockbuster list. Disney's $107 million-budgeted The Alamo lost 55% in sales and made just $4.1 million for a disturbing two-week sum of $16.3 million.

Universal's Connie and Carla debuted outside the top 10 at number 13 with $3.3 million from only 1,014 locations.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

That's good. I love that the Alamo is doing so terribly.

Find Your Magali

I am still in a bit of shock over how little money "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" has earned.

If they knew it wasn't going to rake in the money, they should have at least saved it until the fall, so give it some potential Oscar legs.

Sleuth

How did Volume 1 do (rank wise, not money) in comparison to vol2
I like to hug dogs

Kal

Quote from: Find Your MagaliI am still in a bit of shock over how little money "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" has earned.

If they knew it wasn't going to rake in the money, they should have at least saved it until the fall, so give it some potential Oscar legs.

Focus probably found the best spot possible in terms of the other films they want to release and the competition... It didnt go so bad for that kind of film... it recouped already all the money with theatrical which is great... and now DVD and other licenses will be 100% profit

Quote from: SlombHow did Volume 1 do (rank wise, not money) in comparison to vol2

Vol. 1 opened 1st also, with 22 Million.

El Duderino

Quote from: Chest RockwellThat's good. I love that the Alamo is doing so terribly.

me too. it was so awful.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: Chest RockwellThat's good. I love that the Alamo is doing so terribly.

me too. it was so awful.

I KNOW. They could have at least had the Texans win!

Why doesn't Hollywood do feel-good endings any more?

Banky

im suprised at how well home on the range is doing