Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Robyn

Jeremy Blackman

Alright, I got the tweet mod working. All you have to do is paste the link to the tweet, and the forum will automatically turn that into code.

If you want to use a less elegant method, you can also copy the tweet ID and use code like this:

[tweet]1138795164401639424[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1138795164401639424

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1138785662642118656

Jeremy Blackman

Looks like the Instagram mod works as well. It max-sizes the image, and it doesn't show comments, but I suppose that's okay.

Just like the Twitter mod, this one will automatically convert your plain link into an embed.

Alternatively, you can click the icon when composing a post, or use the tags:

[instagram]link[/instagram]

FYI, the auto conversion may leave extraneous code after the image, like "?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link" after the slash. This is harmless, but it's worth noting. So you can just delete that part of the url.

polkablues

I see the lack of instagram comments as a feature, not a bug.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Important FYI:

Our site has been under heavy attack this month by bots. Some are excessive crawlers, others are trying to deliver malicious php attacks. I've banned dozens and dozens of IPs and IP ranges just this month, which does help.

As a result, there's a CHANCE we'll exceed our bandwidth limit (at 80% now). If that happens, the site may be taken down until month's end. I submitted a ticket asking if I can be charged an extra month (or something) to keep the site up if that does happen. Worst case scenario, we'll have to upgrade to the more expensive plan to account for these waves of bot attacks.

Since I am regularly banning IPs, if you do by some horrible accident get blocked from the site, email me: xixaxfilmforum@gmail.com (forwards to my personal email).

Alethia

WorldForgot

Outta curiosity -- noticed that the certificate is "not secure." Has it always been this way or is it due for a renewal? Might be a non-issue. My new gig leaves me with a lil pocket change so JB if there's ever a need for a telethon type donation weekend, do let us know cuz I'd be happy to contribute ~

Jeremy Blackman

Do you mean the "connection is not secure" message? That shows up because I haven't set up SSL yet, and Chrome now likes to warn you about websites that don't have SSL across the board. So yeah, that's on me. It requires some research to do right, so I've been a little hesitant, but it does need to be done.

The only "risk" is that messages you submit are not fully encrypted, so don't include your social security number in your review of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 15, 2019, 11:18:10 PM
Do you mean the "connection is not secure" message? That shows up because I haven't set up SSL yet, and Chrome now likes to warn you about websites that don't have SSL across the board. So yeah, that's on me. It requires some research to do right, so I've been a little hesitant, but it does need to be done.

The only "risk" is that messages you submit are not fully encrypted, so don't include your social security number in your review of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Gotcha! Thanks for the constant maintenance of the board  :yabbse-smiley:

Jeremy Blackman

There's a weird new shoutbox bug. Try to post more than 50 characters in one shoutbox message, and it will result in a blank message. To prevent these "ghost messages" I've imposed a 50-character limit, so now you'll be prompted to shorten your message.

This did not fix itself today, so I submitted a ticket to our host. Perhaps they can help. If not, I can try manually reinstalling the mod (overwriting the current code).

In any case, it'll probably be like this for a few days.

Jeremy Blackman

QuoteIt's actually more likely that some part of the code is not compatible with PHP 7.1.

PHP 5.6 has been EOL for a while, we kept it as default for a while to allow everyone to update.

A few days ago a new update bumped the default PHP version to 7.1. We did actually check all sites for problems, downgraded clients back to PHP 5.6 where applicable and sent them a warning email. We checked your site as well but it wasn't generating any errors, so you were kept on PHP 7.1.

However! PHP 5.6 is still available on the server. :)

In cPanel under the PHP manager you can select to go back to PHP 5.6. Please try that and see if it resolves your problem and let me know?

If it does resolve the problem: it's important that you fix the code to be compatible with PHP 7+ as 5.6 will be removed completely in the near future as it receives no security patches anymore. It's purely still there for legacy support, but due to the security implications it can't stick around for very much longer. :)

TLDR: The shoutbox is fixed for now, but we'll have to get an updated version fairly soon.

Looking at this, which is the pro version of what we currently have. They stopped updating the normal version 2 years ago, but this pro version is being supported:

https://www.smfpacks.com/shoutboxmod/

WorldForgot

polkablues

I will accept your thanks, even though I did literally nothing besides say "Hey, JB. Fix this."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

on my Iphone X when I'm in the shoutbox with Dark mode, eward's posts turn up black. Have you chosen some other color of text, eward?