Martin Scorsese or Paul Thomas Anderson?

Started by Finn, November 25, 2003, 08:48:17 PM

billybrown

P wrote:

haha, jb, u shouldn't hav said "far".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha, P, you really are a funny guy.

Pubrick

thanks. are u being sarcastic?

jb = JB = Jeremy Blackman.

also, .
under the paving stones.

billybrown

Sarcastic? Nooo. Not me.

I was aware that jb = JB = Jeremy Blackman... should that meam something to me?

Also, not sure what you meant by: "also, quote" since Henry Hill never said, "P, you really are a funny guy,"  which indeed you are, so that quote is an entirely new creation of mine and not Nic Pileggi or Marty  :-D .

Pubrick

Quote from: billybrownSarcastic? Nooo. Not me.
oh, ok. good then.

Quote from: billybrownI was aware that jb = JB = Jeremy Blackman... should that meam something to me?
nah, i was adding that in case u thought jb meant u for sum bizarre reason.

Quote from: billybrownAlso, not sure what you meant by: "also, quote" since Henry Hill never said, "P, you really are a funny guy,"  which indeed you are, so that quote is an entirely new creation of mine and not Nic Pileggi or Marty  :-D .
i was referring to the Quote button located on the top right corner of everyone's posts. when clicked, it's good for quoting ppl.

cheerio then!
under the paving stones.

billybrown

I was just "joshing" as the kids say with that whole quote thing P, but thanx for the quote button reply feature as I am a wee bit slow w/ all the various intricacies and short cuts on this MB as I am relatively new to it. That'll come in quite handy now when I'm too tired to do the whole cut and paste thing when needing to respond comments, be it agreeable, or in the case of JB = Jeremy Blackman, sacreligiously outlandish. Cheers!  :)

aclockworkjj

Quote from: billybrownI was just "joshing"
i hear that way too much....funny saying tho.

j_scott_stroup04

The reason you HAVE to note PTA's ambitious quality is mainly because of Magnolia.  With Magnolia, 29 year-old, let me repeat that again 29 year old PTA reached a certain level of maturity that would take the average filmmaker into at LEAST their mid-30's to achieve.  Tarantino's most mature work was Jackie Brown, and he was 35 when he did that, and Jackie Brown doesn't even scratch the surface of Magnolia's maturity (I know it's not supposed to, but I'm just saying).  When I say "maturity", I'm not just talking about Mag's subject, I'm also talking about the quality and depth of the writing, the characters, the direction, everything.

Also, with Punch-Drunk Love, he's already created a style so unique, and so original that it makes one wonder what else he has up his sleeve.

I'd write more, but it's 12:15 in the morning, and I'm surprisingly tired....
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

SoNowThen

Quote from: billybrownPT is still young and will no doubt have many many great films to come, but Marty is the MAN and the MAN just happens to be the reigning God of cinema and you can't really fuck with the Jesus. Cheers :-D.

Couldn't agree more.

Good show.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.