Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: Stefen on October 10, 2007, 01:19:33 AM
I had to take off my trousers. I was mad compressed.

The compression is KILLING Bodysnatchers. You can tell it just wants to break out.

I had to put my pants on.

It's true that it would be nice if it was less compressed.  Usually I don't care very much, but this album would really use those high highs and low lows.

Stefen

I'm hitting the sack with some headphones.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jtm

hello to all my old online film friends!

is this album iPod-compatible? mine is not recognizing it.

picolas

:multi: love being in rainbows

nude is my first favourite.

MacGuffin

It's a beautiful album. On first pass, All I Need is my favorite track. The orchestrations of strings are simply poetic; Faust Arp sounds, dare I say, Beatlesque.

Quote from: jtm on October 10, 2007, 01:48:09 AM
hello to all my old online film friends!

is this album iPod-compatible? mine is not recognizing it.

Tranferred and played fine on my iPod.

Welcome back.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

just finished my first listen. i feel so dazed/overwhelmed/rainbowy. right now the highlights for me are NUDE, videotape, arpeggi, all i need. starting my second listen now. _|_

grand theft sparrow

It's good.  REALLY good!  After first listen, I have that Amnesiac feel of "it's not legendary but it's still great," though I think that has to do with the fact that I've heard versions of half the songs already, which takes the fun of discovery out of the album.  But I'm happy. 

Jigsaw is the one for me so far.  But the biggest surprise is Reckoner, which is so different from the live Reckoner I've heard that that old Reckoner can't be called Reckoner anymore. 

This is going on repeat at work today. 

I just can't wait for someone here to bash the album.  Then this thread will really get fun.

tpfkabi

at of all online reviews/reactions i've read, none have bashed it, just said they were expecting the live version of Videotape.

i'm not that familiar with the new live songs.

does Nude have the B-3/glock of the OKC live era - like what is on MPIE? or is it like the new funky bass one?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

i ordered this a week ago.  got my initial confirmation email but no email letting me know about the download or the download link!  so i paid 82$ for a fucking album i can't listen to with everyone else.  i emailed them about this already and checked my spam folder a million times but no response.  THIS SUCKS. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: modage on October 10, 2007, 09:29:02 AM
i ordered this a week ago.  got my initial confirmation email but no email letting me know about the download or the download link!  so i paid 82$ for a fucking album i can't listen to with everyone else.  i emailed them about this already and checked my spam folder a million times but no response.  THIS SUCKS. 

It's available everywhere for download. I was looking for the link I used, but it was taken down. I think you can even get it from pitchfork.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

i only got my e-mail at 8;40 am Central time.

then again, just ordered late monday night.

Pubrick

Quote from: just sparrow on October 10, 2007, 07:59:29 AM
I just can't wait for someone here to bash the album.  Then this thread will really get fun.
Quote from: bigideas on October 10, 2007, 08:57:00 AM
at of all online reviews/reactions i've read, none have bashed it, just said they were expecting the live version of Videotape.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7037194.stm

his conclusion sums it up:

QuoteAnyway, my favourite Radiohead album is still Pablo Honey. Get back to your best, boys, and I might be persuaded to give you more than £0.00 next time.

he's a dumb cunt.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

i wish someone would post blank vids with the studio audio on youtube so i could stream it at work.

just saw this

http://nodatta.blogspot.com/

Stefen

I'm glad Phil's back. Wasn't sure if he would be since he seems to have left after OKC. The drums are really great.

Thom wasn't lying when he said it was very minimal. I went to bed last night and listened to the whole thing start to finish, and I must say I was a bit dissapointed. I listened to it again on a LONG drive to work this morning, and as I'm sitting here in my office, I can't seem to get it out of my head. It's a grower for sure, and it's growing very quickly for me. I can't wait to give it another spin when I take my lunch. I may take lunch right NOW because I can't wait.

You can really tell it's compressed big time. It feels like there are sounds that just want to break out, but can't. It's got me excited for the proper release. Smart move.

The songs I was most looking forward to were Videotape, Nude, and Bodysnatchers, and having heard and memorized live versions of all of these songs, I had a preconceived notion of what they would sound like, and aside from Bodysnatchers, I was way off. Videotape especially is very different. Same lyrics, but they took a lighter approach to it than they have in a few live versions I've heard. It's such a beautiful song, but it seems like it would be best suited on a Thom solo record. The tracks I was familiar with will take some getting used to, but I really do like them, they're just very different.

This is the closest to OK Computer (their best album imo) they have ever come. Jigsaw Falling Into Place reminds me of The Tourist. Of course, after it settles in a bit more, I could feel completely different.

It's very, very mellow, and I'm curious to hear what the B-Sides that are coming with the discbox sound like. Maybe it can be viewed as a double album with side A being the more artsy side, and side B being the more rock-n-roll side. One thing that can be said for SURE without debate about Radiohead (and these are few and far between) is that they always leave you wanting more. A double album concept in theory but not really in practice seems unconventional enough for Radiohead to do.

I give it an 8.1 out of 10, but it's climbing rapidly, and may reach 8.2 onwards before I even get a chance to hear it again., and may reach a perfect score by the time I have it settled in, in a few weeks.

Also, I reserve the right to change my opinion on it depending on how I feel after it's settled in, and also depending on what Pitchfork rates it.

tpfkabi

phil's always there, they just heavily altered his sound.

people think the drums on Morning Bell are electronic for example.

while messing with the eq on an SSL recording desk, you can easily change drums to sound like that. add in gates, limiters, etc.

did you not hear Pyramid Song, Dollars and Cents..... :yabbse-grin: ?