Elephant Man

Started by Gamblour., August 14, 2003, 11:33:45 PM

Gamblour.

I'm surprised no one's posted a topic for this movie, specifically. This is my favorite Lynch movie. I was just too blown away by how sensitive Lynch's directing was, how he was able to get to the depths of this poor guy who couldn't be treated like everyone else. I would go as far as to call this a beautiful film, and I don't normally refer to them as such, it gets too carried away with some people. Also, the use of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings years before it became "that song in Platoon" was unbelievable. I know some people don't like it as a Lynch movie, I guess because it's grounded in reality and not entirely fucked up, but hey, he made it, it's outstanding, it's a great Lynch film.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

This is a beautiful film, from the cinematography, to the writing, to the direction. They all go hand-in-hand and show us to look past the exterior of a person, and, yet, make the story personal enough so you know exactly what John Merrick feels and is going through, meaning that we all feel 'ugly' and 'misunderstood' at times.

Thank God Mel Brooks saw something in Lynch after seeing "Eraserhead".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

good move on going b&w

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffinThis is a beautiful film, from the cinematography, to the writing, to the direction. They all go hand-in-hand and show us to look past the exterior of a person, and,

It surprised me that even it was made early in his carreer, the film carries some Lynch trademarks, his directing style hasn't change that much which tells me that from the very begining he knew exactly what he wanted visually, and yes the cinematography, directing, etc. is flawless.

Quote from: MacGuffinyet, make the story personal enough so you know exactly what John Merrick feels and is going through, meaning that we all feel 'ugly' and 'misunderstood' at times.

I kind of agree here because Lynch made a great portrait of what might be the life of Merrick, but ultimately I don't think we could ever imagine what he went through, is like the conversation Dr. Treves has with the director of the hospital after he talks and sees for the first time John, the director asks Dr. Treves if somebody is capable of imagining what JM has been through, Dr. Treves claims he could, and the director categorically says that nobody ever could. And that's exactly my feeling, it is impossible to put ourselves in those shoes and really understand the kind of life he had.

Quote from: MacGuffinThank God Mel Brooks saw something in Lynch after seeing "Eraserhead".

Right, and it was very clever of him to left his name off the credits so the audience wouldn't be mislead about the kind of film they could expect, had his name remained in it.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedgood move on going b&w

On the DVD, they said the black and white was mainly used so that the makeup would be more believable, the absence of color helped make it realistic, so people wouldn't be worried about flesh tones, they would just take this horrific distortion at face value. It also helps set the period, definitely the mood, and let's the performances come through more. I think Orson Welles said you'll find the best performances in black and white.
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

Quote from: Gamblorthey would just take this horrific distortion at face value.

At face value? What a marvelous bit of punnery!

I need to see this movie again. I loved it when I saw it first, but that was at least five years ago. The thing that sticks out in my mind the most is the carnival freaks coming to Merrick's aid.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: Gamblorthey would just take this horrific distortion at face value.

At face value? What a marvelous bit of punnery!

I need to see this movie again. I loved it when I saw it first, but that was at least five years ago. The thing that sticks out in my mind the most is the carnival freaks coming to Merrick's aid.

*Obvious spoilers*

Oddly, that pun was unintentional. Anyhow, the scene that had my in tears, practically, is the final one, as he slowly climbs into bed, and puts his head down, all done with Samuel Barber's piece in the background...oh fuck, that is so sad. Just thinking of the sound of his voice is heartbreaking. Damn, I'm gonna buy this movie next.
WWPTAD?

modage

just saw this for the first time yesterday.  wow.  real different for lynch.  very sad.  really liked that score at the end there, too.  (i knew it seemed familiar!)  i didnt realize that was based on a true  story till the end, although i was aware there were cases like this, i didnt know this was telling a real story.  god it was horrible when they were coming into his room and then he got kidnapped.  so beyond terrible.  great cinematography, great performances.  good movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jonas

Great film.

Makes me cry like a little baby every time.  :cry:
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

NEON MERCURY

..for som ereason this is his most disturbing film for me to watch..it's alot to take.
and for a pG or G rated film that says alot for his imagry and talent.....

tpfkabi

i haven't seen this, but i just picked the dvd up for 4.88 at wal-mart.
this edition: http://allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=16:V||||15593

thought someone else may want to know.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

UK Release of Elephant Man on Blu-ray
On September 28th, 2009, Optimum Home Entertainment will be releasing the Elephant Man on Blu-ray in the UK. Check out the box artwork below:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i thought there was going to be some kind of MJ tie in.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

that would be crazy if they upped the release date or made the announcement hoping they'd get extra hits from MJ info lookers.